Anyone Tried "Heavy Metal Fakk2"
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Tried "Heavy Metal Fakk2"

Anyone Tried "Heavy Metal Fakk2"

it has to be the sweetest game ever.

the graphics the gameplay everything.

but it's tough

I've just been playing the training section. Graphics are great, models are blocky, except Julie. Her animations are not as good as Laras. She reminds me a lot of Rhynn from Drakan, but Rhynns sword fighting was better; many more moves.
    The gameplay seems to be a mixture between lots of Drakan, Heretic 2 (great game!) and a bit Tomb Raider.

I'd like to add: the sound is really good, with a3d hw accelerated card and just two speakers.

------------------
    I'll be back...

[This message has been edited by Mephisto (edited 08-17-2000).]

So it isn't just me that thinks it's a bit Challenging, sounds are very very good with four speakers The quake 3 engine looks superb and runs very smooth a 1280 x 1024 32C

WOW......from what I heard this is one kick *** game....can't wait to get hold of it once it hit our stores.
    EPOX EP9NPA+
    AMD 64 3000+
    2x 512mb Samsung DDR 400
    80gb Western Digital
    Benq DvD Writer
    LG Combo
    19" Mag Innovision CRT
    GeForce 6600GT
    Windows XP Pro SP1

No one noticed any downsides?
    There's a an OK+, BUT NOT REALLY GREAT review at 3DfxGamers.

------------------
    I'll be back...

I'll let you know what PC Zone mag say as they are usually spot on with most reviews, (they gave Deus Ex a good write up and 94% score).

FAKK 2 has some faults, but remains playable and not to "easy" which I like.

I just got the demo it's looking pretty good. The rope swinging was a little difficult.

Anyone tried a gamepad on this? I think it would be easier to play on one instead of using the keyboard.

I've played the demo through three times now, and once you learn and get used to your key set-up it works well with a keyboard & mouse, I especially like the mouse look like a FPS. On first use it seemed odd but I love it now.

It also seems quite easy now the monsters (in the demo), are easy to kill and I finally worked out how to get to the ledge above with the water and health using the first "updraft" you come to. I kept falling to my death at first .

There are some lovely touches in this game.. like the way those bouncy creatures (can't remember the name), turn into a nasty little monsters, (like gremlins) if they get wet and throw their exploding TURDS at you.. LOL. Also Julie does summersaults when jumping if you have full water and you get a blue tracer from her boots. The weapons, (only some of which are in the demo), are good & varied. The dead flowers dissolve into pollen when you walk through them.

The graphics look and run fab, Yes the base 3d engine is a traditional "boxy" one, but the colours textures and lighting hide it well for the most part.

Ok so it borrows heavily from other games, but I never mind when the end result is as good as this, the same can be said for Deus Ex. I'll buy it when I can find it in the UK

Downsides...........?

almost none

I would like to see it with FSAA but i will wait for my voodoo rampage....

thx for the response

by the way Bladerunner what video card are you using

Hey

I have Heavy Metal F.A.K.K 2 and it is a very good game when u get the real version u have to get the patch so the game doesn't crash on exit. I run it at 1024X768 in 16 colour with good FPS i have a Voodoo3 3000AGP at 185Mhz and i dont have any probs running it.

------------------
    Abit BP6, Dual 366@550, 128MB RAM, 13.6GB WD 7200RPM ATA/66, Voodoo3 3000AGP OCed to 183Mhz

Inventor of the PMP, Phunk Master Phreezer.
    Abit BP6, Dual 366@550, 128MB RAM, 13.6GB WD 7200RPM ATA/66, Voodoo3 3000AGP OCed to 183Mhz

Proceed

I'm running a GTS with the Demo in full details at 1280 x 1024 32bit Colour, (I tried FSAA and it doesn't look as good to me), It could be the "bolt on" Nvidia FSAA, but this game engine runs superb on the Geforce anyway. Is this game T&L encoded? I would have thought so as it is the Q3 engine?

I also don't like FSAA in Q3 so it maybe something to do with this engine, it just doesn't look "right" to me... hard to explain and doesn't remove the jaggies from julie. I can run it most of the time with 1600x1200 but I get some slow down when the fighting gets intense.....unacceptable to me..looks good though

The system:-

PIII 700 @ 988 (cA2)
    Abit BE6r2
    256mb Mushkin PC 133
    Asus v7700 Geforce 2 GTS (230/390)
    Soundblaster Live

Downsides....?

There are always downsides in every game, and you should know by now I'm a fussy bugger

Julie's movements can seem stiff and unnatural at times, and she can get stuck in parts of the map.

as was mentioned by Mephisto the models can appear blocky at times.

Someone on another site said the full game is a little short.

very minor then really so far, and I'm looking forward to playing the full version.

Additional:-
    Forgot to mention the sounds in this game are superb (especially enviromental), with hardware enabled and four speakers, probably the best ever.

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 08-19-2000).]

two words --- nice silicons!!
    With all of today's technologies, computers still cannot get past "0" and "1"

Hey

The FSAA in 3D shooters dosen't really help that much in Sims and other games it helps alot. The Voodoo5's FSAA is better nVidia kinda dropped in the FSAA at the end when making the drivers. Heavy Metal is a wicked game i love it trust me when u get the real game it is really hard!

------------------

Celeron1000GHz

I'm not sure I agree with you there, FSAA may be less obvious in a fast paced FPS, like Q3 but Deus Ex would look better for it.

I tried it and it looks much better but runs like crap with that damn unreal engine. Half-Life looks fab with the Geforce FSAA. It is just not "right" with the Q3 engine. It is hard to explain but 1.5x just looks worse to me and 2x FSAA is to much of a performance hit to tell.

It's probably due to Nvidias software "bolt on" FSAA solution.

Blade, I know you will hate me for this: I read a review at gamespy.com saying that at Normal difficulty the game is over after 6 hours of playing with no cheating!

------------------
    I like beers. Cheers!

Thread Information