How many of you have tried writing your own games ?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: How many of you have tried writing your own games ?

Hybrid View

How many of you have tried writing your own games ?

How many of you have tried writing a game yourself ? Any success stories ? DD.
    "The enemy of the enemy is the night"

I wrote up a Star Trek game in BASIC 15 years ago. Worked pretty well; wish I kept the source code for it.
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz, 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8

I have...well, very little. I extracted the gfx from Age of Empires, then I wrote a primitive game. It used DirectDraw to create the background, but it did look kinda stupid because it was tiled. You could create villagers and move them, but the animations weren't very streamlined. That is as far as I got.

I coded a tetris game in c++, since it took so long though I've hardly had the patience to do any more...
    Just your friendly neighborhood DrunkN_MastR

I also coded a game in BASIC. It was one where you choose which direction to go, pick up a weapon, and see if you take any damage or your opponent does. The one who loses all of their power first is the loser...simple as that.
    AMD 1.4GHz (266 FSB)
    512 MB PC2100 DDR
    ABIT KG7
    45GB ATA100 Maxtor
    3D Prophet GTS 64
    Creative Labs 128
    Dell 20" Trinitron

Oh yes, I did. In QBasic. It was supposed to be something like airlift, but i never got it working right.

------------------
    human was the music
    natural was the static.....

I made this 3d simulation thing in c++. i managed to get 2 3d cubes sitting next to each other. GOD it took a long time. I had some successs in basic with a text rpg.

------------------
    My other OS is a Linux
    Windows:

Windows Is Not Demented, Overrated Sh!t

(stupid 200 chars max...)

I wrote a Nibbles in C (remember that game in Basic??), that was my project of my programming 1 class.

I remember that was a real pain, nowdays i can write again a game like that in two days...or less, it took me about two weeks in that time, around 1000 lines of code, and the code is really a sh!t, fortunetly, now i don't write code like that...

------------------
    Keyboard not detected, press F1 to continue...
    If you were in a world full of crazy people, who would be the crazy person?
    OTCentral

I programmed games using Basic ROM on an Atari 1200xl. It had 128KB of memory. I could load programs from my cassette tapes. I programmed Nuclear War in the 80's. Basically, you I used the almanac to program population and military strength. You could then use spies, diplomacy, embargoes, conventional or nuclear might to take out other countries. I did this in block graphics, but it looked good. One rule stated that if you NUKED a country, that all of the neighbors would automattically ally to one of the other players (up to 8 human players). I lost the program when my tape got ate. I also made Tarot and Alien Attack on ROM Basic.
    ------------------
    P933, 133MHZ FSB, 256M RAM
    Ultra 160, 18.2GB Cheetah
    Annihilator Pro, SBLIVE, DVD, FPS SOUND
    MS Force Feedback, Cable Modem.
    AKA- The ultimate gaming machine.

Thread Information