Mephisto......
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Mephisto......

Hybrid View

Mephisto......

As you are playing Deus Ex and you live in Germany, so I take it you bought the game there are you killing "people" in the game?

Just curious as back when Half-Life came out a friend had the german version and he said it had "Robots" instead of people due to german laws at the time???.

In Germany Deus Ex is sold in the original US version with German subtitles. All the blood and decals are there.
    Yes, the german Half-Life Version has robots instead of marines, and they dissolve when they "die". Of course did I purchase the UK version .
    Look at Soldier of Fortune: Lots of confusion about the different versions (4 of them I think), even the UK version was edited. Now SoF is banned in Canada, I heard.

Now what about Deus Ex: If at least one person states that DE isn't suitable for children, it will be tested by the authority in charge (for youth protection). If they say it isn't suitable, then the game is removed from all shops where kids can go.
    The shops could go on selling the game, but they would have to keep it hidden, and only show it to grownups on demand. Most of the shops won't take that hassle, the game disappears.
    Right now I probably would not even be able to purchase the UK- or US-version of Half-Life, if it came out today. Today many publishers pursue the import of US-versions, if there is also a german version, e.g Activision and EIDOS. This is a crazy situation.
    It's OK to protect the kids. What makes me angry is the fact that I might also not be able to buy the game that I want, and I'm way old enough! I don't need protection!
    Other thing is, the results of the authority testing are so different. Q3A disappeared after 6 weeks or so, UT can still be sold. Please where's the difference?
    Requiem was sold at least for 18 months, then disappeared.
    Next thing, the german versions...
    Not now, later, gotta go now

------------------
    Not for very much longer...

I'm back:
    The killing itself isn't the biggest problem: If you can reach the goals of a game only by killing others, then it will most probably get classified as dangerous for kids.
    Messiah is very violent, and it wasn't changed neither banned. Also Deus Ex. You are able to approach many situations in a non-violent way.
    There are discussions going on between game developers and executives of the authorities of several countries about the dilemma. A game developing company can never be sure if their game will get banned in some countries. They have to decide whether to put resources into making several different versions of a game, or just hope to sell enough boxes before the game eventually gets banned. That's a major economical risk. What the companies want are some clear guidelines.
    The german versions sometimes are ridiculous. E.g. Tomb Raider 3 showed purple colored blood instead of red blood.

------------------
    I'll be back...

Where in Germany are you? I spent almost 4 years in Stuttgart. Ich liebe Deutchland! I honestly hope to live there when I retire. I really enjoyed the German people and had a great time. BTW - Schneider Weisse hefe weizen is the greatest beer ever made.
    "It was a good lay........"

Looks like I've struck a cord on this subject with you . It is true that it must be difficult for the games makers, and I understand that the licensing authorities use the excuse "protecting the Kids" (a job the parents used to do!!!), but In the UK it is all so *** about face. The Kingpin Demo had all the swearing bleeped out but there was still blood and limbs hanging off. So that tells me swearing will have a worse effect on kinds than someone having their head blown off?.

The full Kingpin game came out with the swearing and a 18 certificate. What gets me is they make all this fuss about games, but ran the unedited version of Reservoir Dogs on BBC2 a while back at 10pm. Their excuse was, it is such a good film it shouldn't be edited, (or words to that effect). Well I'm sorry, but who are they to decide what is good and as such acceptable?? To cap it all they showed Terminator a few days later but thought it necessary to edit that even though it was run at a later time. Ummmmmm??. Which of those is more gruesome & has the worse bad language then???

Until there is some real standards it is a joke. just because I love using a sniper rifle in SOF doesn't mean I will try to get hold of one to use on my next door neighbour, (although it can seem a good option at times .

I just can't take the whole censorship subject seriously until the double standards are resolved.

I can see why they didn't ban UT.... Like me they were LOL at the "red sugar cubes" that come out of people when you shoot them

zodder
    I'm living in Mainz now, which is close to Frankfurt. I also spent some years in Karlsruhe where I studied Electrical Engineering. Karlsruhe is close to Stuttgart, 80 kilometers.
    So, you've been a Schwabe; schaffe, schaffe, Häusle baue!
    Schneider is great, also Paulaner, Maisels, and Erdinger Hefe Weizen! Cheers!
    You might know that and houses and realties are much more expensive in Germany than in the US.
    Where would you like to live then? Stuttgart again?

------------------
    I'll be back...

Originally posted by Mephisto:

I'll be back...
    No problemo.......

To Mephisto:

SoF is not banned in Canada. Simply there's the motherf******** rating board who rates it for adults only (18+),yes,like an adult movie...I think they just plain suck

And Nintendo was saying "VIOLENCE:GOOD, SEX:BAD"...looks like either doesn't work here...

------------------
    GAMING RULES!
    GAMBLING SUCKS!!!

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

I absolutely love Bavaria. Anywhere in Bavaria would be a great place to settle. Triberg would be great, too. The Schwartzwald is very scenic and relaxing I haven't seen much of northern Germany. Most of my time in the north was spent doing Wandertags on the weekends. Did manage to get to Kaiserslautern and Wiesbaden quite a few times, though.

Originally posted by zodder:
    I absolutely love Bavaria. Anywhere in Bavaria would be a great place to settle. Triberg would be great, too. The Schwartzwald is very scenic and relaxing I haven't seen much of northern Germany. Most of my time in the north was spent doing Wandertags on the weekends. Did manage to get to Kaiserslautern and Wiesbaden quite a few times, though.
    Yeah, forget about northern Germany as a place to live! Flat and cold!
    Hey, I work in a Software house in Wiesbaden!! To get from Mainz to Wiesbaden you just have to cross a Rhine bridge.
    Since the Schwarzwald is starting near Karlsruhe I've been there quite often. Great for hiking!
    What has been your occupation in Germany?

------------------
    I'll be back...

I was actually stationed in Ludwigsburg with the US Army. They tried to send me back to the States after 2 years, but I re-enlisted so I could stay. Unlike most ugly Americans, I tried my best to learn the language and communicate with the locals in German. I found it much more fun when you can speak the local language! You mentioned hiking thru Schwartzwald, do you do Volks marching at all?

Thread Information