Where to discuss 3D card topics now?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Where to discuss 3D card topics now?

Hybrid View

Where to discuss 3D card topics now?

I just realized that the new forum is titled Gaming Hardware and Software. Are 3D gfx cards (e.g. my Elsa Gladiac 32 )gaming hardware or Video Cards in the first place?
    Great there is this new forum anyway!

------------------
    I am the Spirit that denies!
    Visit the Mephisto thread...

Housen Maratouk Guest
    Well that's just one reason why this forum is here on a trial basis... I am not convinced that any related discussion could not have continued to take place in Software, Video Cards, and Sound cards... perhaps even more effectively than in here.

We'll see, in any case...

Housen

Originally posted by Mephisto:
    I just realized that the new forum is titled Gaming Hardware and Software. Are 3D gfx cards (e.g. my Elsa Gladiac 32 )gaming hardware or Video Cards in the first place?
    Great there is this new forum anyway!

Mephisto -

I'm planning to build myself a new gaming machine to replace my olf K6-III 400 in a few months (as soon as I can get the wife to let me have the cash).

Are you happy with that Gladiac? I was thinking a Voodoo 5, but I've seen reviews that give the advantage to the Elsa (even though I've seen compatibility issues with their stuff in the past). I was thinking about:

T-bird 1 gig
    Asus A7V
    256M mushkin CAS2 PC133 RAM
    20-30 GB IBM 7200 RPM HD
    Kenwood True 72X CDROM
    SBLive! Platinum

You see any potential conflicts or can you offer suggestions on which video card? This is the only component I'm in a dilemma on.

Thanks!
    Moderator at jjr512.com and Xibase.com

HomeLAN
    Yes, I'm happy with it! But it took me some time to get it to work properly. I use a 440LX board, which was the first one to support AGP, it seems to become unstable with AGP2x. Since I found out that I must switch to AGP1x before playing no problems.
    Since you plan to get a T'bird (I use a Celeron), compatibility issues are different, plz read http://www.geforcefaq.com
    If you are from the US, maybe some other GTS cards are cheaper there, also in a few months prices will have dropped, I'm sure.
    I still don't know if a Voodoo5 wouldn't have been the better choice for me. I would love to try one. Right now I'm playing Deus Ex, which doesn't run as smooth as I like it (thanks Unreal engine! ). With a Voodoo5 that game would be perfect.
    I think dilemma is still there? Sorry!

------------------
    I am the Spirit that denies!
    Visit the Mephisto thread...

[This message has been edited by Mephisto (edited 08-15-2000).]

yes the voodoo5500 would have or is a good choice setup is flawless rite out of the box and for that reason in of itself is a plus with amd plus picking between it and gf with not much of a diff in gaming another plus. i'd definitly go v5 and amd.

I've got an old banshee sitting in my second box and I'm so tempted to stick it in my main box to see if it plays Deus Ex any better than my Asus 6800. I'm actually afraid that the banshee will play better!! WTF would that say about the state of vid cards?
    "It was a good lay........"

Thanks to all for the input. Think I'll stick with the Voodoo 5. I've always been able to work around incompatability issues in the past, but who needs the hassle.
    Moderator at jjr512.com and Xibase.com

While it's true that Gaming Hardware (like 3D video cards, soundcards, etc.) can be discussed in the other forums, what I think distinguishes this forum is that these hardware can be discussed specifically as it is used in gaming...So gaming related problems involving these hardware should be discussed here.

Suggestions as to whether what game hardware is best for a particular game should also be discussed here...A lot of other gaming hardware such as steering wheels, pedals, flightsticks, VR helmets, etc. which did not have a forum before now have a place where members can discuss them...So this new forum is really a good idea...It's really specific for gaming...

Thread Information