The Dual 1 GHz Pentium III Myth - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Dual 1 GHz Pentium III Myth

Well i would love to see them try this mod on a set of dual celmines and see if they acctually work. My opinion on the cAo stepping with smp disabled is that maybe thoughs were the test bed for disableing the celmines. Possibly they werent meant to be relieased intel has pulled this kind of bonner before. Remember the mobile pentium2's with the pentium3 id number in them that got put into pentium2 notebooks by mistake and no one found out about them till the whole stink went up about the pentium3 chip id and intel ended up doing a dance over that one. Finally releasing a proggy to disable the id at bootup? This could have been the same or similar situation. I wouldnt be really surprised if this turned out to be the case and the celmines did do smp with this mod.

To: rowhome and others

Perhaps you could check out my Abit BP6 Dual Pentium III SMP modification at
    www.interlog.com/~telsci/bp6-p3.html

and let me know if you think it will work.

Thanks in advance.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PeterLunde:
    [B]To: rowhome and others

>Perhaps you could check out my Abit BP6 >Dual Pentium III SMP modification at

And the IWILL DCA200 is cheese dip ?
    It appears to be working so far.
    Running 'very' fast.
    (SYSMARK2000 couldn't get an accurate clock)
    Whatever.

If you want to talk about Xeon boards, why not the Supermicro S2QR6?

Originally posted by Technofix:
    And the IWILL DCA200 is cheese dip ?
    It appears to be working so far.
    Running 'very' fast.

I haven't seen anywhere else on the web regarding the modification of the MS-6905 Master CPU converter card to run dual Pentium III coppermine FC-PGA cpus on dual cpu motherboards. Where else did you see this information posted? It's difficult to believe that your modification would work. I would like to see more proof.

Originally posted by rowhome:
    You can also use pin N33 ( M33 and N33 are VccCmos voltage pins) for enabling SMP coppermines on the MSI Master Slocket which is a mod that has been on the web for a few weeks now.(connect a wire from N33 to pin 3 of jumper 3 on the MSI Master slocket).The mod came from a message board in Japan. I did dual FCPGA coppermine 500s @666 on a P2B-DS a few weeks ago with this mod using the old stepping, cA2.Also, the dual enabling pin is not M33 or N33 but X2(BR1). The reason I think the mods work is that the slockets have the coppermine circuits and they are enabled by jumpers, just no voltage to X2. The mods provide the necessary voltage so B75 on the cardedge is detected by the chipset.

[This message has been edited by rowhome (edited 04-03-2000).]

[This message has been edited by satow (edited 04-19-2000).]

I have now added a link at the bottom of www.interlog.com/~telsci/bp6-p3.html
    which links to the earliest known English N33 discussion.

Originally posted by satow(04-19-2000):
    I haven't seen anywhere else on the web regarding the modification of the MS-6905 Master CPU converter card to run dual Pentium III coppermine FC-PGA cpus on dual cpu motherboards. Where else did you see this information posted? It's difficult to believe that your modification would work. I would like to see more proof.

Thanks Peter for the link!
    I surfed over there and found the discussion interesting. Except for one thing. Does the mod work for both the new FC-PPGA Celerons and the FC-PPGA Pentium III's? Are they both electronically similar so that the MS-6905 Master slotkey modification will work on both?

Originally posted by PeterLunde:
    I have now added a link at the bottom of www.interlog.com/~telsci/bp6-p3.html
    which links to the earliest known English N33 discussion.

As far as I know, noone has gotten dual Celeron IIs working yet.

The optimists say it is possible.
    The pesimists say it is not.

According to Intel specification sheets, the pin-out of the Celeron II seems to be similar to the Celeron, not the Pentium III.

One thing that seems to prevent the Celeron II from working in an old Celeron motherboard is that V_cmos has been reduced from 2.5 v to 1.5 v.

Perhaps after I get the P3 working, I'll look at the C2.

Originally posted by satow:<br>
    <snip> Does the <N33> mod work for both the new FC-PPGA Celerons and the FC-PPGA Pentium III's? Are they both electronically similar so that the MS-6905 Master slotkey modification will work on both?

I was checking out the N33 to pin3 J3 jumper mod. I am assuming you don't need to cut off any pins from the CPU right? I hope not. Also I was thinking of installing a small single dip switch for the N33 to pin3 J3 jumper, just in case the PIII B-0 stepping doesn't require it.

Originally posted by PeterLunde:
    As far as I know, noone has gotten dual Celeron IIs working yet.

The optimists say it is possible.
    The pesimists say it is not.

According to Intel specification sheets, the pin-out of the Celeron II seems to be similar to the Celeron, not the Pentium III.

One thing that seems to prevent the Celeron II from working in an old Celeron motherboard is that V_cmos has been reduced from 2.5 v to 1.5 v.

Perhaps after I get the P3 working, I'll look at the C2.

Originally posted by satow:<br>
    <snip> Does the <N33> mod work for both the new FC-PPGA Celerons and the FC-PPGA Pentium III's? Are they both electronically similar so that the MS-6905 Master slotkey modification will work on both?

[This message has been edited by satow (edited 04-21-2000).]

Does any one have any info on a dual 800 MHz Pentium III?

How does this dual 800 MHz system compare to an AMD 1.2 GHZ?

------------------

i have the asus P2BD dual PIII 800 Slot1

I see the Intel OR840 dual PIII RAMBUS
    and it was writed on intel site
    this is motherboard have support for PIII 1Ghz

anyone have test this card ?

Thread Information