mods out of control?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mods out of control?

mods out of control?

I couldn't help but notice that there are currently 5 closed and locked threads on the front page of our beloved CPU forum. One could argue it a couple ways, either the mods are a bit locking happy these days or the members are getting a bit hot headed in their debates.

To me it doesn't really matter what reasoning is or the cause, whatever, 5 locked threads is rediculous. Seems there is more locking than talking(okay, that was a really sad rhyme ). I just hate locked threads. Yes hate, and that says a lot as there are very few things I hate. (John Madden, Martha Stewart, agghghhhh, both drive me insane!!!) It cuts off a conversation and says "that's it!". I don't uderstand the reasoning for locking an entire thread because a member or two violates the AUP.

It is days like this that I actually wish I was an admin so I could unlock threads and let the conversation continue. The locking and moving of threads lately has again reached a point where it is excessive. It's really taking away from the HWC experience. I've been here too many years to leave on account of poor moderation and administration. I always figured the day I would leave would come when the place gets dull and uninteresting, not because I'm running out of topics I can post in.

Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.
    -Plato

I think Mods lilly bit too picky.
    Cheer out Mods. Relax.

------------------

Supercharged Duron DDR system
    Powered by.... A.M.D.
    phase-change cooling | -30C liquid | d-tek tc-4 r2 | liquid volume: 110 litres

You know, I've seen some damn long descriptions of where people live, and I was just wondering how freakin' long of a location they actually allow you to write in here. Looks like it's quite a bit. Oh well, if the space is here I'll use it!!! :)
    I expect this thread to be moved to feedback shortly.

------------------
    Off Topic Central - Owned and Operated by HWC members
    Off Topic Central - Owned and Operated by HWC members

IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.

I expect this thread to be moved to feedback shortly.
    I hope not, would defeat the purpose of my post. No one goes to feadback. Only mods and admins read what's there. They can move it to feedback tomorrow, at least leave it up for a day or two so that everyone, mods and members alike can read my gripe and hopefully it will be a group effort to keep topics and threads open.

Some of those topics needed to be deleted, I thought. Personal insults were all over. A good bit of friendly rivalry or debate is fine, but that wasn't how the topics ended. All got locked due to the same people. The only other thing to do might be to delete specific replies, but who has the time for that?

------------------
    Gin - The driver's choice

Originally posted by USSVoyager:
    All got locked due to the same people.

[/B]
    Wouldn't the appropriate action be to discipline these individuals rather than locking the thread (which often contains alot of good discussion alongside 2 people arguing)? Maybe a written warning, followed by a 12 hour ban, followed by more serious discipline if it persists.

The analogy of throwing the baby out with the bathwater seems appropriate to these locked threads.

Unrelated, it's my suspicion that the mods were looking for a reason to lock OneEng's 533mhz P4 thread because it was approaching 200 posts -- and the issue of long threads self-destructing at HWC is a source of embarassment for the site.

All this said, I find it extremely distasteful when personal insults fly because of someone's processor of choice.

------------------
    sorry folk the joke has gone far long enought, time we get down to business hehehe, oh Im still joking!
    now that my specs are respectable, I might as well list them again:

2500+ Barton @ 2346mhz, Swiftech MC462a/80mm Sanyo Denki fan
    Abit NF7-S v 2.0
    2x256 Ocz PC3500 DDR
    128 mb ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    Lian-Li PC-68 case
    Enermax 431 watt PS
    blah blah blah
    blah blah blah

dmm is offline Linda's verbal backstop
    IMO -1. Yes there are way to many locked threads. But:
    2 The last two that were locked should have been.

Dave
    i7 2600k @ 4.6 ghz by Turbo multi - MSI Z68A-GD65-G3 - 8 gig GSkill Ripjaws @ 1600 8-8-8-24 - Corsair H100 Closed loop water cooling - GeForce GTX 770 - 256 gig Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe and 250 Gig WD Blue Series - PCP&C Turbocool 850 SSI

ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone
    WAY OUT OF CONTROL!

I had a thread deleted in the general forum.

PISSED ME OFF.

Only because some one started saying racist remarks. Instead of deleting the whole thred they should have got rid of the racist remarks and maybe the one making them.

------------------
    1.2Ghz cel-t @ 1.6GHz/1.65v

Off Topic Central

Good Point Luds.....

I say EDIT their post followed by email ,and lockout until email has been answered so they can acknowledge the EDIT.And ofcoarse a Warning ect....

I'm the guy who did the last couple of locks, and the guy who's moving this to Feedback ... the CPU forum is a star in HwC's galaxy, but it's not the only one and not exempt from the AUP, and it's not fair to expect the mods to spend hours to hand-hold, baby-sit, and clean up after hotheads who won't remember a simple rule. No personal attacks. Is that too much to ask?

Eric

[This message has been edited by egrevstad (edited 05-14-2002).]

What they are saying is 1 or 2 people are doing it, why should the rest pay.By deleting the entire Topic.

Instead either edit out the comments of the offending (2 minutes tops) and let the interesting thread continue.

Is that too much to ASK?

To be honest, we've tried that, and it hasn't worked well. I admit it comes down to which message we'd rather convey (or even enlist your help, with peer pressure, to convey) to flamers:

(1.) If you post personal attacks, the thread will be closed -- usually not deleted, just closed and still readable (and folks are welcome to, and often do, restart the real topic in cooler terms in a new thread), but when personal attacks start, threads stop, so please think twice before you flame.

(2.) If you post personal attacks, it's OK; a mod will take the time to edit or delete each post (often not getting there until your enemy has replied and things have escalated), and the thread will get clogged with your "Hey, the evil mods edited/deleted my post" and someone else's "Ah, you deserved it" and other chat and taunts that drown out the original topic and drive off the members who were participating anyway, so the result's pretty much the same as (1.), but takes longer and gives more space for bad feeling to grow.

Thanks for reading,
    Eric

[This message has been edited by egrevstad (edited 05-14-2002).]

Thanx alot for your reply I appreciate your time.

However I have a different opinion.I ofcoarse favor my suggestion, inwhich to Simply EDIT the flaming post, put why it was edited either in the post or via email.

I have witnessed this approach to the problem on many many occasions to see that it works excellant. This ofcoarse was back in 98'99'00' not lately.

If I were a Mod here thats exactly how I would do it. In addition, you have mods replying to a topic that has flame in it ,yet they are from another Forum ,like video or general. And they continue to post like they were a regualar member.

I believe a policy of first come first serve would help the site.Meaning if another mod does like the CPU forum and often posts in the forum, and he comes across a thread that has flame in it, he should be allowed to edit the post,without the mod of that forum getting pissed about it.Because the other mod just came across it first.even though its not his/her forum ,the idea is the same .

ok this is my 4 cents now (2+2)

That is a good idea in a way, but that would defeat the purpose of assigning certain mods to certain forums. It would just be a whole load of mods, for a whole message board and some forums might end up getting more attention than others.
    I dont know... I just dont.

No the mod stays in his/her forum ,but by chance if they were in another forum and saw something wrong ,they should be able to edit it ,with out a problem.

Thread Information