Promise FastTrack66 Pro Review
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Promise FastTrack66 Pro Review

Promise FastTrack66 Pro Review

Promise is well known for providing high quality, high-speed disk controllers. The FastTrack66 Pro kit looks like it is no exception. The kit contains a normal FastTrack66 controller, hot swap hard drive caddies, and two Ultra ATA/66 cables. The controller supports RAID 0, 1, and 0 + 1. This review has all the details.

http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardw.../reviews/1755/

I have the same setup, Epox board, athlon 700, western digital 18g expert and Windows 2000. I had no luck installing the opperating system. I called Promise and they provided me with new drivers but that didn't work either. I followed their directions on the web for the work around to the "T" but with no success. Can you please help me out and let me know if you had to do anything special to get win2000 up and running and what version of bios and such to see if that helps. Thank a lot.. Please email me at mike@y-ad.com if you have any ideas.
    http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardw.../reviews/1755/ [/B][/QUOTE]

Don't forget about the article on Tom's Hardware about converting an Ultra66 into a
    FastTrak66. The Ultra66 is only about $20. I have done it and it works great.

bret
    The modified Ultras don't work with hot swap and the new drivers and bios recognize if you have modded the card

Are you saying that the modded cards don't work at all? Or are you saying that they do, but not the hot swap and other features? (beside the RAID)
    Thanks, I need to know
    Shadow13

Bighammer, could you elaborate please? Bret seems to be getting his to work but is this only because he's using the older drivers and bios mentioned in the mod article? Have Promise spiked their latest drivers to stuff everyone? How come no-one else has reported this?

Just wondering as I was going to pick one up and mod it (d/ed the drivers and bios availible at the time of the first posting of the mod). I'm only interested in Raid 1 not hot-swap.

Cheers

Is it possible or recommended to use one of these IDE/Raid controllers for both a RAID 1 configuration as well as having the ability to swap between hard drives on a daily basis? Basically what I'm after is an IDE mirroring solution to mirror the Primary drive to the secondary drive, but be able to switch out the secondary drive nightly. I would alternate each day between drives, always keeping the drive from the day before off-site. Is this possible or even feasible?
    Thank you.

------------------
    Mike Fanning

------------------
    Mike Fanning

Thread Information