NETGEAR RT311 Review
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: NETGEAR RT311 Review

Hybrid View

NETGEAR RT311 Review

Fast Internet connections are becoming common, but how to share that connection with several PCs? The answer has been software proxy or NAT, but the NETGEAR RT311 may change your mind.

http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardw.../reviews/1748/

Maybe I missed it in the article, but how would you connect a connection like PacBell DSL is using? I use a modem that was supplied with my connection. It uses the standard RJ11 from whut I can tell.

I have Bell Atlantic Infospeed DSL with PPPoE. I have had no trouble using the RT-311 in this configuration, even when my DSL connection has gone down, once it goes back up the router has no problem logging on. I had to flash the router with the beta software and configure it, of course. The only problem I encountered was with using my print server on my network after I began using the router; I solved this by assigning a local IP address to every computer and the printer on my network (I am using a Netgear hub and print server also). Everything worked great after that.

Today was my first experience trying to get through to technical support at Netgear for the RT311. I was cut off two times without speaking to anyone, twice the menu option for routers sent me to someone who did not know anything about routers. When each of person tried to forward me to a router technician the phone simply rang until a voice came on the line telling me I was disconnected and should call back later. Then, with my last call, a recording told me that due to high volume I would need to leave my name and number for a technician to call me back... except that when it sent me to the "call back" voice mail box I was told that the box was full and couldn't take my message. ??? 7/24 phone support ???

Overall experience has been good. It was somewhat difficult to remove the input filter sets on V3.20 firmware. By default, filter set 3 is on. If you try to remove the filter set, it won't let you. I tried deleteing the filter set number and saving and it keeps coming back 3. What I did to solve the problem was to create a new filter set which only has the TELNET reject. I put in this new filter set number and saved the configuration. Now it works just fine. Minor detail. 99% + people will never want to remove the filter, but if you want to access your web server or ftp server from the outside... you'll have this same problem. Another solution would be to edit the filter set 3 and make the ftp and web filters inactive... but you must remember to change the parameter for what to do if the packet doesn't match... filters are sequential... make sure if you only have one filter active in a filter set that the not match parameter is set to forward the packet. I preferred to create my own filter set so if I need to lock down things for some reason, I just change the input filter set back to 3 and everything is locked down. Nice little box. Thanks NetGear.

Been looking for some router/hardware firewall for a while; since it's hard to find this model here in San Jose /sold out/, it's probably a good one ,so I think they are OK for that price. /$119-$219, pretty wide range/.

I have a cable connection, and if I'd like something more sophisticated from Cisco, that would be about $700....wil lstop by with a review after got it setup.

Dave

OK here is the deal. Can someone help me figure out how to get the RT311(Netgear) to run a quake3 server behind the router? I have the one machine in the SUA set as default and also tried doing manually putting the port in too. The port is 27960. My quake2 server runs fine but Q#Arena just cannot been seen from outside of the router. PLease email me with details if anyone figured out how toget this too work!!! Thanks

where can you get netgear in Belgium ?
    Ireland live on !

Originally posted by mpawloski:
    Overall experience has been good. It was somewhat difficult to remove the input filter sets on V3.20 firmware. By default, filter set 3 is on. If you try to remove the filter set, it won't let you. I tried deleteing the filter set number and saving and it keeps coming back 3. What I did to solve the problem was to create a new filter set which only has the TELNET reject. I put in this new filter set number and saved the configuration. Now it works just fine. Minor detail. 99% + people will never want to remove the filter, but if you want to access your web server or ftp server from the outside... you'll have this same problem. Another solution would be to edit the filter set 3 and make the ftp and web filters inactive... but you must remember to change the parameter for what to do if the packet doesn't match... filters are sequential... make sure if you only have one filter active in a filter set that the not match parameter is set to forward the packet. I preferred to create my own filter set so if I need to lock down things for some reason, I just change the input filter set back to 3 and everything is locked down. Nice little box. Thanks NetGear.
    Hello
    I cannot reach our WEB-Server w/ this Router
    from the WAN. I've done almost everything.
    Got the latest version 3.25 where you could
    really disable filter 3 in the settings,
    but nothing changed yet. Always getting on the own web-site of the router.
    Do You have an idea? Or must I really create
    a new filter for WAN and apply this one?

I didn't made good XPs with this router, even
    less with the netgear telefone support in Germany and the direct eMail support.

I have investigated now all over more than
    40 hours to get our web-server be reachable from the WAN. But nothing. Even with the latest Version 3.25 and as well just replacing the router with a new one, the "inverse NAT" and
    dyndns.org service doesn't work.
    Did somebody made experiences on that topics?

Originally posted by Squalo:
    I didn't made good XPs with this router, even
    less with the netgear telefone support in Germany and the direct eMail support.

I have investigated now all over more than
    40 hours to get our web-server be reachable from the WAN. But nothing. Even with the latest Version 3.25 and as well just replacing the router with a new one, the "inverse NAT" and
    dyndns.org service doesn't work.
    Did somebody made experiences on that topics?
    Yep, I have had a good experience with the RT311. The only complaint I have is with the product doc. The admin interface is weak, but tolerable.

Right out of the box, I plugged it in and it just worked, for basic NAT and DHCP. For dynamic DNS - I had to manually insert the record into dyndns.org via the http://www.dyndns.org web page. Thereafter, the RT311 was able to register any new dynamically assigned IPs (from my ISP) with dyndns.org. No problems.

For exposing a web server to the WAN - this was also no problem if you look at the docs. You have to change 2 things: In the filter set #3 - port 80 is listed as DROP. You must modify filter 3,3 to be FORWARD on match, and FORWARD on non-match.
    Item #2: you must modify the SUA table (menu item 15) to point to the proper internal (private) ip addr for port 80.
    Finally - you may not be able to see your internal web server from your internal LAN. If you hit http://<ipaddr> where ipaddr is the IP Addr assigned by your ISP, you will get the HTTPD in the RT311 - the admin panels. This is by design. To verify that your web server is actually visible, you must connect from OUTSIDE the LAN.

I believe it is possible to build a rule that eliminates this problem - so that you would be able to connect to the web server from (even) inside the private LAN, using the public IP Addr. But I am not a router expert.

I used v3.25 of the firmware.
    Also, see http://home.talkcity.com/PicassoPl/dinoch/rt311cp.pl , a perl util for administering the RT311. Not fully featured, but it is a start.

[This message has been edited by WeenieMan (edited 08-09-2001).]

I am trying to set up the webserver and did all the steps mentioned, I still have trouble accessing my webserver from the internet, any suggesstions ?

thks

Originally posted by WeenieMan:
    Yep, I have had a good experience with the RT311. The only complaint I have is with the product doc. The admin interface is weak, but tolerable.

Right out of the box, I plugged it in and it just worked, for basic NAT and DHCP. For dynamic DNS - I had to manually insert the record into dyndns.org via the http://www.dyndns.org web page. Thereafter, the RT311 was able to register any new dynamically assigned IPs (from my ISP) with dyndns.org. No problems.

For exposing a web server to the WAN - this was also no problem if you look at the docs. You have to change 2 things: In the filter set #3 - port 80 is listed as DROP. You must modify filter 3,3 to be FORWARD on match, and FORWARD on non-match.
    Item #2: you must modify the SUA table (menu item 15) to point to the proper internal (private) ip addr for port 80.
    Finally - you may not be able to see your internal web server from your internal LAN. If you hit http://<ipaddr> where ipaddr is the IP Addr assigned by your ISP, you will get the HTTPD in the RT311 - the admin panels. This is by design. To verify that your web server is actually visible, you must connect from OUTSIDE the LAN.

I believe it is possible to build a rule that eliminates this problem - so that you would be able to connect to the web server from (even) inside the private LAN, using the public IP Addr. But I am not a router expert.

I used v3.25 of the firmware.
    Also, see http://home.talkcity.com/PicassoPl/dinoch/rt311cp.pl , a perl util for administering the RT311. Not fully featured, but it is a start.

[This message has been edited by WeenieMan (edited 08-09-2001).]

MitchSchaft Guest
    why are all you people discussing your problems in this area of the forum?! Helloooo!!

Originally posted by MitchSchaft:
    why are all you people discussing your problems in this area of the forum?! Helloooo!!
    yes your right.... :-)

------------------
    Neo2048
    Support Site
    http://www.netgear.org

Thread Information