PowerLeap PL-Neo S370 Review
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: PowerLeap PL-Neo S370 Review

Hybrid View

PowerLeap PL-Neo S370 Review

With a change in CPU packaging generally comes a certain level of distain, as users are reluctantly forced to upgrade their motherboard and other components. Fortunately, sometimes, work-arounds can be found. See how the PL-Neo S370 may just save you from upgrading your old S370 motherboard.

http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardw.../reviews/1809/

I have used the NEO-S370 on an ABIT ZM-6 and it works perfect! P-III 600E @ 800.

As I have found, revision 1.03 (and later, if they exist) of the Abit BM-6 mainboards will natively support the Celeron-II FCPGA processor, without the use of the Neo S370. Key is having the 1.03 board (revision is on a sticker on the ISA slot closest to the edge) and having the latest PQ BIOS, dated 12/15/99. I am running my Celeron-II 566 at 850mhz @1.6v without a hitch, and would probably run higher, but don't think my Adaptec 2930U2 controller likes out-of-spec bus speeds when dealing with the hard disks attached to it. There's no trick to it, so if you have a BM-6 board, check the revision, and don't shell out the extra cash for something you don't need!

Is it possible to use as 83 Mhz bus speed with that adapter?

Are you using a cBO or cCo stepped Celeron?

Anyone use the PL-Neo S370 on a BP6?

OK, let us resurrect this thread

I want to use the PL-Neo S370 to put two 1.1GHz FC-PGA PIII 100MHz Coppermines on my BP6. Has anyone done this successfully? If so which stepping did you use? I have read that the cB0, cC0 and cD0 steppings might work.

mariner
    Ready, Fire, Aim!

Update on upgrade efforts with the PL-Neo s370

Also posted similar threads on the BP6 and Anandtech forums, and sent an inquirey to the Powerleap folks.

I put a pair of matched PIII 1.10GHZ, FC-PGAs into two PL-Neo s370s and stuck them into my Abit BP6. Would not POST or initialize any hardware. Black screen.

In the PL manual on page 5 it states that SMP is possible providing the correct processor stepping is used. In the Intel PIII Spec Update 24445348 document, page 8, it lists the PIII 1.10GHz SL5QW cD0 100MHZ as having "no known issues" for running DP (dual processor), as long as both processors are of this type. This is the cpu i have, 2 of them.

Any thoughts?

mariner
    Ready, Fire, Aim!

Thread Information