Palm VII Review
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Palm VII Review

Hybrid View

Palm VII Review

3Com has been known for their excellent PDAs. The Palm VII is Palm's first offering in the wireless handheld market. This review takes a look at how it stacks up in this new market.

I think this was a rigged review - this is the first time I have seen a Palm VII review with a high rating. I don't think the person who did the review has looked at other options, or knows what they are talking about. Palm VII = Proprietary, you can only view things on - ONLY - not good. You also have to develop your app in a special format, and most likely redesign it, unlike OnmiSky or Verizon with a minibrowser like Proxiware or AvantGo - which simply renders the already created HTML. App is already done. Yes you do have memory restrictions - but haven't you heard of Moores Law? This applies to connection speed as well. Once you create your app in a PROPRIETARY format, you have to PAY Palm.Net to host it on their site, and only Palm VII devices can see your app. Proprietary device (not even to PalmOS - its for the PAlm VIII only), Proprietary development platform, and proprietary service with restricted user base based on the device itself. Way to go Palm VII! (note sarcasm)
    Get a Palm Vx with a Minstrel Modem - 19.2K access (will be 56K by years end), un;limited content - its the INTERNET, and you can develop for the web with the palm design in mind - no reason to retrain anyone.

[This message has been edited by dgiacome (edited 04-13-2000).]

Thread Information