Hyper-Threading...help...
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Hyper-Threading...help...

Hyper-Threading...help...

Ok, I currently have Intel's new 2.2GHZ XEON processors running on a Supermicro P4DC6+ motherboard. The BIOS shows 4 processors, as expected with Hyper-Threading enabled. But, in the OS, (Advanced Server 2000), it only shows 2.

It was (is) my understanding that in the OS they should appear as 4 logical processors. Last evening I was told by a Supermicro tech that I have the wrong version of Windows 2000 Advanced Server. He told me there is a Windows 2000 Professional Advanced Server version....huh? I cannot find this anywhere, so I am contacting MS today. I know that it is also supposed to work under Datacenter...but I do not have a version of that.

Ok, is there such a thing as Windows 2000 Professional Advanced Server?

Should I see 4 logical processors in the system summary of the OS? I think I should.

I see absolutely no performance gain, whatsoever...(since there are only "2" logical processors", I guess that is what I should expect)

According to what I have read from Intel, I should see a 35% gain...so I am figuring real world, 20%. Sound reasonable?

Any help here appreciated. I want to run as much power off of this setup as possible.

TYIA

App

All is well now.

Appalachian,

It must be something with the bios or motherboard.

I am running win2K advanced server and when I enable hyperthreading on my Compaq EVO 6000 windows shows 4 procs.

Chris

CGrow:

Have you seen any improvement or enhancement when utilizing Hyper-threading? I am also told that you have to reload the OS if it was not active when you loaded the first time. It will show, but will not be beneficial.

App

Appalachian,

I dont believe that you need to reload the OS. My 2K Adv server was installled before I found the "Enable HyperThreading" switch in the bios.

With a single threaded process you will see roughly a 11% degredation. Yes that means your old app may slow down. But if you have multiproces or multithreaded apps then....

Lets look at something running multiple processes. Running two Seti clients with affinitiy set for each processor I was able to turn two Seti packets every 4 hours on my 2Ghz box with no hyper threading. With HyperThreading enabled I could run 4 Seti processes with affinity set I was able to turn four Seti packets every 6 hours.

This supports the 30-40% number Intel is giving.

2 packets every 4 hours wo hyperthreading
    4 packets every 6 hours w hyperthreading
    or
    6 packets every 12 hours wo hyperthreading
    8 packets every 12 hours w hyperthreading

Therefore, thats an increase of 2 packets every 12 hours.
    2 is 33.33% of 6 right?

The 4 packets every 6 hours is a very conservative number based on the logs I looked at.

Now the single threaded hit kinda sucks.. but hey its only a 10% degredation.. that I can tell so far..

hope this helps...

Chris

CG:

You are right about the 10% hit on non-MT apps. That does certainly suck. I am still patiently waiting for Supers quad board to test out.

I am expecting good (big) things, I hope I am not disappointed.

App

Thread Information