another reason why OT should be put back....
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: another reason why OT should be put back....

another reason why OT should be put back....

....figure it out..

OT is taking place in several of the forums, and has been permitted by the administration. Take a look in General, CCO, CPUs.

------------------
    AMD Athlon 1.2@1.44 (272MHz FSB)
    Abit KT7a RAID
    DiamondMax Plus 60 - 40Gb 7200rpm
    Elsa GeForce2MX 32Mb SDR
    ------------------
    Have you hugged your kids today? Do it now while you can...
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

Eric did the right thing in letting people share their feelings about what happened in NY in the CCO forum. Maybe he's not such a bad guy after all.

Aw, c'mon, I'm as bad as ever ... Housen and I just agreed that people needed to vent their initial shock and horror, and I've appreciated some truly thoughtful and eloquent posts. Unfortunately, as I just wrote in General / Terrorist attacks on USA, those seem to be fading out and repetitive flames seem to be replacing them, so HwC Forums will revert to no OT tomorrow afternoon.

Update 8 PM: Sorry, the anger, flames, and attacks on fellow posters have gone out of control in the last couple of hours ... I believe it's doing real damage to the HwC community and I'm pulling the plug now.

Eric

------------------
    Eric Grevstad
    Managing Editor, Hardware Central

[This message has been edited by egrevstad (edited 09-12-2001).]

Eric...hey don't get me wrong...I think you did the noble/right thing of putting those topics and letting them stay on.

They also should have been pulled because the quality really deteriorated.

My fault, I should have explained my post a little further.

I just think this is another valid reason to have an OT forum. I mean...the events of the last 2 days are just the beginning of a long and ardous journey to somewhere none of us know "where"....it would be good to have an OT forum to have a place to share and express ideas.

just a thought...good luck to us all!

Justintime Guest
    yeah, thanks man.nice
    agree with the final closing as well, was gettin outta hand!

------------------
    Jr

There is another solution to this ot problem. You could put a link to an ot forum at the bottom of the page and make it a private forum where only those who agree to put up with the bs can have access to it. I am suggesting something similiar to the Coffee Shop at Force3d. If works pretty well for them, and they don't have these kinds of problems.

I agree that their should be an OT forum here. This is like a little community and we want to talk about more than just hardware and software.

------------------
    AOpen HQ45 w/ 300watts
    Soltek 75KAV-X w/snd
    1GHz(266) T-bird (100*10)
    Thermaltake Volcano II HSF
    Sunon 80mm Case Fan
    128MB PC100
    S3 Trio32 PCI w/1MB
    Fujitsu 2.1GB
    56x
    Linksys 10/100
    Win98
    Turbo Gamer 21" Black Aluminum Case w/ 350watt Enermax Power Supply.
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.83GHz @ 2.09GHz 1.65v (167*12.5)
    ATi Radeon 8500LE 128MB DDR
    Gigabyte GA-7VAXP KT400 w/sound+LAN+Firewire+RAID
    2 x Samsung DDR SDRAM 256MB PC2700
    Seagate Barracuda IV 80GB 7200rpm ATA-100
    LiteOn Black CDWriter 42x24x42
    LiteOn Black DVD-rom 16x
    Panasonic Black 1.44MB 3.5"
    Windows XP Professional
    Creative Inspire 5200 5.1 Black Speakers
    80mm LED Case Fans x 5

i think it was a sensitive and welcome thing in allowing thought, feelings and discussion on the happenings of the last few days.

i found it helpful and enlightening to hear others views - even if i did not agree with them - and was sad when it closed.

however, if constant flaming wass occuring and therefore abusing the nature of OT then perhaps it was right to be closed.

thanks again, to eric and all those who posted on the threads. i hope that we all learned from each other, even those of opposing views.

------------------
    1-0 to the tractor boys, 1-0
    trout are freshwater fish and have underwater weapons
    trout are very valuable and immensely powerful
    keep away from the trout

You know, I've seen some damn long descriptions of where people live, and I was just wondering how freakin' long of a location they actually allow you to write in here. Looks like it's quite a bit. Oh well, if the space is here I'll use it!!! :)
    ditto ris,

And that seems like an interesting idea S4. Man, I can't remember the last time you actually made a suggestion or voiced you opinion... I had become so accustomed to an edited post saying something like "I changed my mind... I have nothing worthwile to add".

------------------
    Only 30,000 to 40,000 genes in an Einstein, a Michael Jordan, or a Bach? Boy, can that God guy write tight code or what? - David Rudloff
    Off Topic Central - Owned and Operated by HWC members

IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.

Originally posted by outside looking in:
    ditto ris,

And that seems like an interesting idea S4. Man, I can't remember the last time you actually made a suggestion or voiced you opinion... I had become so accustomed to an edited post saying something like "I changed my mind... I have nothing worthwile to add".

Perhaps the reason I did that is because I didn't happen to like the way things were run here at the time and still don't. I post at many other boards and do not edit my posts with 'no comment' or whatever.

You know, I've seen some damn long descriptions of where people live, and I was just wondering how freakin' long of a location they actually allow you to write in here. Looks like it's quite a bit. Oh well, if the space is here I'll use it!!! :)
    s4,

I sincerely hope you did not read my post in the wrong light. I actually like seeing your "no comment" posts (or rather did, they have been sparse lately), as they always seem to add a little humor and relief at just the right moment. I also used to enjoy your posts before they became so, well... identical. If I ventured out to other boards, I'm sure I would still enjoy them.

Also, I was sincere in agreeing with your idea, and (very badly perhaps) was trying to express the warm fuzzy feeling I got when you actually said what was on your mind again (well, not warm and fuzzy, but it was a nice feeling anyway). And I agree with your sentiment about the way things are run, and hold no judgement over the way you have chosen to deal with it. I am still struggling.

To the point though, I was trying to be humorous more than serious, and just hope you didn't take it the wrong way (not that you're the type that would be offended anyway).

------------------
    Only 30,000 to 40,000 genes in an Einstein, a Michael Jordan, or a Bach? Boy, can that God guy write tight code or what? - David Rudloff
    Off Topic Central - Owned and Operated by HWC members

IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.

outside looking in:

I didn't take any offense to your comments. I was just replying to why hwc does not get to hear my opinions very often. I post at other boards where I am allowed to speak my mind and even use a naughty word once in a while. I just think that hwc would be a much more enjoyable website if people were allowed a little freedom of speech.

I agree with Eric and Housen that the ot forums got out of hand, but if they had put a few moderators in place that actually moderate, I think it could have been a success. I would suggest that if ot were reopened that 3 or 4 moderators would be needed, and they should be people that can get along.

these guys have so much energy you may as well open an offtopic forum . some may go to war and never come back.. maybe just lock every topic after 25 postings so you dont have to read them all

------------------
    486 dx 28,000 modum 2speed cd rom
    486 dx 28,000 modum 2speed cd rom

Thread Information