Off topic forum???? Gone??? - Page 8
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Off topic forum???? Gone???

Justintime Guest

------------------
    Jr

The closure of the off topic forum has not greatly influenced my web surfing habits. There are more than enough quality sites to visit on the web that offer off topic discussions. Sure hwc is okay if you want a computer question answered. However, during the last few times I posted computer questions here, I received no responses or the ones I got were from people that weren?t too well informed. It seems to me that the most knowledgeable people here are moderators or have been moderators in the past. People like Glussier and Rangeral know their stuff. I am currently supporting another board and have been enjoying it.

------------------
    My favorite site.

[This message has been edited by s4 (edited 07-29-2001).]

I'm still a Tennessee man, at heart

Just kinda sad to see something with such a great history left to die in a corner, alone.

The reason the knowledgeable folks have left is because they all had personalities. You know, those things that make each of us different.
    These forums, it seems, would be better served by incorporating some cgi for automated question answering. No point in all this human intervention. I would type "what is FSB" - and, in about 2 seconds, my browser would show me the definition of FSB. yay. Why in the hell would I want to wait for a human to respond to my question? Give me cgi-generated answers, I say.

Nearly half of the 'old' members here have found a new home. A place where personality is welcomed, questions get answered quickly, and there are no commercial advertisements or censorship of opinions.

It's just the opposite of this site - and it's more successful.

..and I haven't got a clue about how to manage a website.

go figger.

I would post a link, but everyone already knows where it is.

P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

I always avoided giving my opinion about this questions, 'coz in feelings I consider myself a newbie here, despite I'm more than 1 year registered. HWC was the first hardware forum I join, and frankly I think I always will feel like a newbie here . I would like to put some topics I judge to be important if we're going to have an off-topic one day or if we're going to post in another forums.
    First is about our behaviour like members. I never allow myself to involve in arguing with a called "troll" and never called someone a troll. Because I think it's the worst thing you can do. Fighting trolling with flaming didn't do any good to this site. Instead if the trolls had been ignored they would had leaved(sp?) to other place where they could grab attention.
    Second was about the status of the members. One of the reasons the off-topic was flamed was the unreal increase it gave in the post count to people that post only there. If the posts made in OT didn't count in the post count we would had avoided a lot of useless threads like people bragging about their number of posts or posting whatever s**t only to raise it up. I'm sure it could be done one way or another, and the members that really belong to the HWC community wouldn't mind if their OT posts doesn't count.
    Just my 2 cents.
    And yeah your favourite is one of my favourites too s4

I still visit here every day or so, mainly to check up on this thread to see if Hardware Central of come to their senses. I'm starting to care less and less about this place, which isn't to hard a thing to do, when it simply reflects how the mangement think about the users here.

I've found another community as well. Not quite hardware related, but more in tune with Multimedia which is right up my alley. I figure they won't mind me mentioning it since it's not really the competition (being based on something different).

It's www.divx.com . It's only a small developing community but it's real friendly. By the way, if you didn't know already, DivX 4 Beta3 has been released, downloadable from that site.

------------------
    Hardware Central Members Gallery
    hwc-membersgallery.20m.com

Submit your photos!
    HWC_MembersGallery@bigfoot.com
    -----
    HWC ICQ Active List:

wonder if any of you bright boys ever started your own filth forum? theres a million companies out there thatll give you a free board , not that id go to it

------------------
    486 dx 28,000 modum 2speed cd rom
    486 dx 28,000 modum 2speed cd rom

I'm just starting to get back into this site now, but the lack of traffic makes it rather dull. I remeber the times when I had three broswers open just to catch all the new posts coming into a forum while I replied as fast as I could!

I still feel like a naughty school boy here though, and one who has done nothing wrong. I don't really want to go elsewhere, and I don't think it's the answer either. I found that the places where the old HWC guard went missed OT so much that there were about 5 different boards for different OT stuff, it was no longer in the hardware context, it was just a gag reel. The only thing hardware about the site was people needing to get their PCs fixed so they could keep up with the latest forum posts.

Just when I get to like it here again another thread goes and gets locked. I feel so sorry for you mods, I have to recognise the pressure on you from above. I'm sure it was a dream of many of ours to one day maybe be a Moderator, I mean, a job where you get to hang out with your friends all day, now it must be a complete *****. There is a medium between a clenched fist and a lost grip you know.
    If you've got your money for nothing, who cares if the chicks are free!

zorro, surprised to see you still around!

To be honest, I did start my own forum, together with somebody else. But it will never get so much replies as HWC gets. It's just to small, and also in Dutch, because of the small amount of members.

If somebody's interested in a fine looking Dutch php-forum: click here

There is a medium between a clenched fist and a lost grip you know.
    Damn that's a great line.

------------------
    Sir, are you classified as human? Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

I am truly touched wrathchild_67, and even more pleased since I didn't nick it from anywhere. Sadly I believe it's true .

Is it just me or has this feedback forum just exploded!? BOOM baby, let's hear it from the people .
    If you've got your money for nothing, who cares if the chicks are free!

we all agreed to use HwC according to the aup, and 99% of those who use it do adhere. in the attampt to stop the 1% it seems that many have been surprised, not by the fact that OT was closed but the manner that it happened.

there are two ways to see it - either it is an example of copicing, where a tree is totally de-branched to encourage new and better growth.

or it is an example of using a sledgehammer to crack an egg.

as members of this community i suppose we all feel that we have some say, or have a right to for what we bring to it. unfortunately there is no forum for change, only suggestions decided on by those above.

------------------
    'i suppose it is technically possible...
    but then i am already in my pyjamas'
    trout are freshwater fish and have underwater weapons
    trout are very valuable and immensely powerful
    keep away from the trout

Thread Information