Off topic forum???? Gone??? - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Off topic forum???? Gone???

because he is a fool

------------------
    go to http://216.74.85.12/~nwnk-fxp/brad//...d36b0a9af4617c
    allways happy to help

I did like OT a lot. BUT it was seriously degrading the image of the site.

It was generating a seperate community from the "real" HWC, and a lot of people there didn't care about what HWC really is (i.e. a Hardware site).

It was designed as a "chill-out" room for all members. However, it turned into a seperate wing which was ruining the image of the site - with Spam, Violations of the AUP, etc. With certain rogue members really p***ing off the Admin/Mods.

At the end of the day, it need to cool down for a bit. HWC will regain it's old rep, and OT will probably make a re-appearance, hopefully in better character.

Please don't flame me, I know that a lot of you will object to this, I'm a bit annoyed with it suddenly closing too, but it is in the best interests of the site.

------------------
    MY GOD!!! A RANDY SQUIRREL!

*VOTE BRITAIN, VOTE CONSERVATIVE*
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

because it was a self destroying cancer ridden forum .

------------------
    brainsoft, Xi Base Administrator.
    XiBase/JJR512 Activelist: 83320323

"I don't know how I got here, I was only looking for the washroom."
    brainsoft, XiBase Alumni.

"I don't know how I got here, I was only looking for the washroom."

I woke this morning and ventured online to take a look at the "Kevin & wdeep forum" and it was gone... can't say I'm surprised or disappointed.

HWC certainly needed a repite from the continual trash posters, good decision guys, it was depressing reading all that rubbish every day.

Originally posted by krusty:
    I woke this morning and ventured online to take a look at the "Kevin & wdeep forum" and it was gone... can't say I'm surprised or disappointed.

HWC certainly needed a repite from the continual trash posters, good decision guys, it was depressing reading all that rubbish every day.
    Self-esteem as mod of that forum ?

------------------
    Looking intelligent takes more than looking coool.

I wouldn't go blaming the mods for the closure of Off Topic, we just did our job, even though it seemed "un-cool" to you guys.

If you have issues talk to your spammer buddies.

Good!

Flame me if you want, I don't care, but I think it's good that Housen and Eric did something about that rabble, I agree with some of you, it was a seperate community.

Well done to Housen and Eric who finally said "Enough is Enough!"

------------------
    I only support two teams. Wales and everyone else England plays
    ICQ# 91149414
    AIM: AdrenelinY2K1
    I only support two teams. Wales and everyone else England plays
    ICQ# 91149414
    AIM: AdrenelinY2K1

From a couple of messages here and elsewhere, I guess I need to clarify that neither Krusty nor any other moderator was involved, consulted, had anything to do with closing the OT Forum -- it was my decision, with Housen's agreement, period. If you disagree, well, here we are in Feedback; the only messages H. has deleted are those that take the opportunity to troll or advertise other sites.

Thanks and regards,
    Eric

------------------
    Eric Grevstad
    Managing Editor, Hardware Central

If even the mods are not consulted... what would be the point of adding anything ?
    Good night.

------------------

I disagree with the decision to close Off-Topic. I don't think it was a "blight" to this site, nor do I think it drove anyone away, or gave it a bad image. People intersted purely in hardware would click the forums for the hardare they've got a question about, and wouldn't bother with Off-Topic unless they were bored. And if they're bored, well, Off-Topic is a great place to kill some time Heck, I was here for nearly a year before I even realized it existed! In the month or so since I found it, it's been the forum here I visit most. Why? Because it's hard to find a "general" discussion forum with people like me- and lets face it, despite all our differences, you're not going to frequenting a place like this unless your a tecnhosavvy geek. Not having to explain what a "T-Bird" is, and being able to discuss relativistic effects on matter without being flamed is a very good thing. I dont know if you noticed, but there was never a single "A/S/L??" on here, and that alone makes it almost unique.

FYI, for anyone who misses wdeep's posts, go to http://www.ilovebacon.com/ which is the internet garbage bin for joke pictures and stupid news

But please, reconsider, and bring back Off-Topic!

------------------
    Asus A7V
    AXIA T-Bird 1GHz @ 1.266GHz
    Pentium IV 2.4C Northwood- M0 stepping @ 3.2GHz HT
    Air Cooled w/ SP-94 heatpipe & 92mm Vantex Tornado at 45C
    4x256=1gb dual-channel 2-3-3-6 OCZ PC800DRAM @ 890MHz 3-4-4-8
    MSI Neo2-PLS w/I865PE & SATA @ 4x267=1068MHz
    BFG GeForceFX 5900@485/967MHz = 6284 3DMark2003s; dual-head 21" CRT & 19" LCD

I'm not at all surprised to see OT go; it used to be a fun place to hang out. Lately it seemed a place where anything went. If one was still able to search OT's posts, compare posts lately to those of a year ago. People were much friendler back then it seems...just an observation.
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

Justintime Guest
    Off-topic was a place where u could actually joke around with people that were of like mind=computer geeks
    Am i now to go on chat1 and joke about the P4? all over are a bunch of ignorants computerwise, cept here, now thats gone, sweet,this site is getting better and better, you guys with links to other forums in your sigs better watch out, you may be next

------------------
    Jr

[This message has been edited by Justintime (edited 05-30-2001).]

It was getting rather silly I think, and glad it has gone in a way. there was too much Violations against the AUP - even after they had been warned.

I just hope that These "Violaters" don't drag there garbage into the General forum - and make HWC a laughing stock.

VP

------------------
    John 3:16
    Jesus & Christian Answers Explained
    Christian Perspectives

>>I'm not at all surprised to see OT go; it used to be a fun place to hang out. <<

I do agree with you on this, I think that the last month or so the forum was dying for good material (no morer is not betterer).

But, like any GOOD community it has it's up and downs. When I started (last August) it was about US vrs. UK.

There have been a lot of GOOD threads there and plenty more bad. You take the good with the bad.

The worst thing (in my mind) that you can do is pull the rug out from under it.. That is like a killing your exwife when a divorce is in order.

It is all about alternates. And, unfortunately the MODS/ADMINS have determined that discussing alternate sites is against the AUP.

There are some people that troll, but I have READ every other discussion thread in this site. I may not post there as often, but I find that MOST of the OT people do.

------------------
    ------------------
    P933, 133MHZ FSB, 256M RAM
    Ultra 160, 18.2GB Cheetah
    Annihilator Pro, SBLIVE, DVD, FPS SOUND
    MS Force Feedback, Cable Modem.
    AKA- The ultimate gaming machine.
    ------------------
    P933, 133MHZ FSB, 256M RAM
    Ultra 160, 18.2GB Cheetah
    Annihilator Pro, SBLIVE, DVD, FPS SOUND
    MS Force Feedback, Cable Modem.
    AKA- The ultimate gaming machine.

I will not miss the Off Topic forum very much. I do hope that some of the people that hung out in OT will contribute to the remaining forums, some of these guys are very bright.

------------------
    PIII 700
    Abit BM6
    17" Viewsonic E773
    Antec Gemstone Case
    384 mb PC 100
    Global Win FOP32
    32 mb Gforce 2 MX
    Sound Blaster Live!
    2x 30GB IBM HDs
    NEC FDD
    Diamond Supra Max 56K