this site seen from fresh eyes
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: this site seen from fresh eyes

You know, I've seen some damn long descriptions of where people live, and I was just wondering how freakin' long of a location they actually allow you to write in here. Looks like it's quite a bit. Oh well, if the space is here I'll use it!!! :)

this site seen from fresh eyes

I've been following many of the threads in many of the forums here at HWC for several weeks now. When taking my first look around there seemed to be a wealth of information, both in the HWC reviews and in material posted in the many forums. I considered registering immediately, but decided instead to just read for a while...

So I thought I'd share what I've seen. It's sad really; I type this not even knowing whether it will be allowed to stay or not. You see, I've been a member or many BBS discussion forums, as well as several other discussion and "*****" boards from various sites. I've never witnessed such unrest between members and moderators, but in just a few days of reading it was all too clear where the source of the problem is.

The registration agreement (which I was very careful to read) clearly states that posts can be edited or deleted for offensive content, or for any or no reason whatsoever. The moderators seem to have this firmly planted in their minds. However, I really don't think the administrators of HWC had this kind of selective editing in mind.

It's really not that hard to see the bias of some of the moderators (note - plural). After reading for a few weeks, I began to question if I could trust any information I found here. Even more distressing, I began to notice a bias in the reviews done by HWC in general.

Now, there are plenty of biased hardware review sites out there, and that really doesn't surprise or bother me. The one difference is that I can usually find unbiased, helpful, flame deficient information in their discussion forums. Here, for reasons all to clear, you cannot.

The attitudes of some of the moderators does not reflect well on the HWC staff. The fact that this has continued for the past several weeks (way to long in this person's eyes), and even longer (judging from some of other members posts - months?), makes me question the administrators of this site.

Therefore, I'll have to go elsewhere to find useful information that lacks flame, bias, and pure hatred. I just can't believe things have been allowed to get to the point where someone relatively new to the site is so easily able to see such deep problems.

This is my first post, as well as my last.
    Off Topic Central - Owned and Operated by HWC members

IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.

Can't take the heat huh?

Good luck.
    Intel Duron 866 mhz
    Abit KT7 Raid
    TNT Ultra 64 mb
    64 mb Ram
    WD 4.3 gb HD
    Logitech Explorer
    19" Sony TFT display
    56K Cable Modem
    Abit Floppy
    Iomega Keyboard
    [b] Meet the ladies
    12X CDROM
    14.4 DVD

Windows 95 ME

I get a lot of excellent information from this site. Most members here know each other from this bbs, icq, or other bbs boards we frequent. We rib each other lots, but it is in fun 99% of the time.

You have only been here for a few weeks and you are basing your opionion on that few weeks? Granted there have been massive changes here.

If you are dissatisfied with this site, just leave and don't come back, you wont be the first, and probably wont be the last.

If you have something to contribute, you knowledge and friendship would be welcome.

The choice is yours.
    Sorry you couldn't hang around.

Suggest you open your own BBS site? Maybe you can get the visitors to your own liking, and you can pick and choose who joins and does not. Here we take the good along with the bad.

------------------
    It is now safe to turn off your brain!
    This post was written for your information only. Any injuries resulting from this post is NOT MY FAULT! And of course if you get busted in any way because of this, it ain't my fault either.

Don't read the crap, you will find a good group of people with a vast amount of knowledge here if you look past the BS. This board is worth the effort...

------------------
    If you lived here, you'd be home by now...

If you lived here, you'd be home by now...

I agree with you about the seemingly constant bickering. Something needs to be done (soon). I do believe however that if we can manage to get past that stuff, this site will be as good, or better than it used to be. The question is, can we do it?

Just a thought-howabout no more gripe posts about a person, if there is a problem, send email to the admis and work with them and the person you have the problem with to solve it privately. If you need people to coroborate your story or something, email them. All efforts should be made to keep problems between the fewest possible people.
    Athlon 64 2800+
    1xWD 1200BB, 1xMaxtor 200GB SATA
    Asus K8N-E
    2x512MB Corsair XMS3200
    Klipsch Pro Media 2.1
    Radeon 9800 Pro, Dell 1801FP - WinTV Theater
    Sony CRX320E Combo Drive, Pioneer A04
    Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro - Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical
    Win XP Pro SP2

This post was probly from an existing member just trying to bash the mods.
    I will KILL for my KRAFT DINNER!!!!!
    Shove that MAC up your A$$!!

CHUCK

What a "bizzarre" coincidence that your idea popped up in my mind as well...??

second that sounds like a past member
    whatever

great mind sounds alike ... or maybe we are paranoid? Or are great minds just also paranoid? Anyhow, we all know about alias ...

"I've been a member or many BBS discussion forums, as well as several other discussion and "*****" boards from various sites"

Perhaps you could show us some links to those places with your posts in it so we all can see?

But i think he is righ in some of the things he says, especially the moderator-bit. I think all of us moderators should think about what we do and why we do it. We are playing an important role in forming this BB and it's up to us(and all the others of course) how we want it to be.

Lastly, I know for sure that certain individuals in this forum ought to take one of those big, fat chill-pills or two.

Duckman

------------------
    Visit my homepage:
    Duckman's Wild Page
    Site Content: Overclocking, cooling and a lot of BS about Me, Myself and I.
    Sorry, I didn't hear you, I was staring at your breasts.

I think wetling has the right idea there.

I feel that if someone has a probelm, it should be dealt with in private!

I feel that this "He said, she said" bullsh!t should stop. NOW.

------------------
    Go Leafs Go!!!
    brainsoft, XiBase Alumni.

"I don't know how I got here, I was only looking for the washroom."

I'll third, fourth or fifth the idea that this is a current member that just registered under another name to bash the mods...

You know, I've seen some damn long descriptions of where people live, and I was just wondering how freakin' long of a location they actually allow you to write in here. Looks like it's quite a bit. Oh well, if the space is here I'll use it!!! :)
    Well, I've already made a liar out of myself by posting again. An up front apology for that.

No guys, I'm not an old member, though I have been reading long enough to form my own opinion of things here. Maybe one of the admins could vouch that my e-mail is new... nevermind - hotmail would be too easy. In any case, just wanted you guys to know I didn't intend to join in on the 'mod' bashing.

However, since that was the way my post was viewed it solidifies my belief that my observations are too close to the truth. I offered constructive critism - something like: clean up your act, stop bickering like ten year olds, and act like responsible moderators - and they take it as a personal attack. For that, I will apologize. I'm sure the job of moderating is difficult, and I respect your efforts at doing your job well. Being a little less argumentative would go a long way towards smoothing things over. (members are expected to act like morons from time to time; moderators never should).

It really is disappointing though. Reviews of one brand of processor, memory, etc. all hailing the product reviewed to be the best thing since flaming farts. Patriotically defending overpriced and underperforming products. One manufacturer's products listed as 'tops' in high, middle, and low end (c'mon... the price for middle and low end systems is just too much). Moderators angrily defending their manufacturer's banner. What's the motive?

Anyway, I sincerely hope the admins, columnists, and mods get things worked out. There's a lot of bad PC hardware sites out there... we don't need another.

And thanks to the members who took the time to actually read my thoughts and weren't so quick to yell 'mod basher'. Maybe I'll stick around for a while... just to read... for entertainment of course .
    Off Topic Central - Owned and Operated by HWC members

IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.

ohhhh get over it,your hooked and you know it,HWC rocks and you love the gossip

P.S- You wouldnt be back if you werent slitely interested,lol
    • 1.6a @ 2.5
    • Asus P4b 266-C
    • GeForce annihilator 2 Gts Ultra(64 mb)
    • Mushkin High Perf.(512)DDR
    • Plextor CDRW(12X10X32)

Thread Information