Power to the People
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Power to the People

Hybrid View

Power to the People

This is niether pro nor con involving the appointed mod.

We should have been allowed to vote on the new mod position.

We put a lot into this site attempting to make it better and now we have lost ground.

Is it worth even messing with anymore?

Thanks.

I agree and disagree with that in some ways.

It's good that the users of HWC should vote for a mod... in theory.

However, many users, may not have been around all that long and wouldn't know all the candidates that well, and basically fling a vote to who evers name sounds the coolest, or helped them out once and so on.

The reason it's good that Admins choose the Mod, is because traditionally, it's their right, and also they would have a greater knowledge of the candidates in terms of history and so on. I trust they wouldn't make a half hearted decision like some members may.

An unfortunate truth of elections, is that the person who does get elected isn't always best suited for the job, rather just makes the biggest noise.

My one and only point being.....I believe the members who make this site such a success should at least be given the dignity of a vote as a token of respect by the individuals who profit from this site.

This site is what it is because anyone can come here and get free computer tech help by some very knowledgeable people who do it out of the kindness of thier heart.
    They should recieve some thanks for that.

The admins always have the final veto power should someone get elected that is not acceptable to them.

I also think there is WAY too much e-mailing and ICQ...etc behind the scenes so that we really don't know the whole story.

Thanks for your opinion Bink

[This message has been edited by GREGORY (edited 04-30-2000).]

I agree with GREGORY. We have lost our grounds slowly, but we have not lost our power. I can see why we've lost much of our interest, but not our voices. "Power to the People" has lost its meaning over time as well. That is not good.

Bink does prove a few pointers and I will have to admit, he's pretty experienced, but I don't think anything is agreeable anymore.

If we fall, at least we fall together. No question about that. Consider my support, friend. You have mine.

I just hope we could all return without riot and disagreement. Toolbox has spoken, "I've(D5) lost my credibility". Though I do not believe him right well from lack of justification, I am slowing down my revolts. Much has been altered, but hardly anything is repairable.

I fight....not lose.

Thanks...
    D5

Reguards

Perhaps if someone were to elaborate on a suggestion as to how an election would be run, I may be more inclined to be in agreement with it.

I am for peoples choice, but I fear ignorant people (which you two certainly are not) may not cast a vote based on research, and experience. If there were a way to minimise this risk, I'd be all for the idea of the peoples vote

(This could get very political, heheh).

Suggestion (perhaps for future situations?):
    Each candidate is given equal right to state their qualifications and why they believe they'd be best for the position.

Only full members are eligable to vote.

Voting only takes place after all candidates have been selected, and have had their chance to be heard (a week or so?).

Voting is more formal, where perhaps on a seperate site (if HWC is unable to provide), each user is to make vote in the form of multiple choice.

Each user may only vote once.

After sufficient time has been given and a majority of members have voted, the person elected by peoples choice is then handed to the Admins, where by they do some research and make the final yay/nay on the matter, or proceed with the peoples choice Mod, on trial basis.

Bink,

Good going! I like your suggestion. It seems....."political".

I guess we could form something like a "triad", a group. D5, Bink, and GREGORY. At least we all have something to agree upon!

It's amazing to find amidst all the wars and riots going on here, there are suggestions that can be used in performing the peace. At least we all have opinions and can agree on one important thing...."the people"

Thanks...
    D5

Reguards

Hey guys...

Thanks for the response.

Bink.....I posted three times on election ideas....sin2 feels he is able to put up an election ballot on one of his web sites if needed.
    My proposal was close to what you said.
    One week of nominations,speeches,declining to runs,etc......the usual campaining.
    Then maybe a quick final statement by all of the candidates.
    Then three days of voting so everyone could have an opportunity to vote.
    The high vote getter wins.

The admins could have an approval or veto power before or after elections....whichever or both.

All members get to vote once and only once with no multiple account voting.

I thought maybe a completely open ballot so no-one could be left out and also to allow for a "none of the above" option.

Hey D5.....if we would have formed a SBD when you suggested we wouldn't be here would we?
    You're a man of vision.

Thanks again for your concern.

Hey guys,

Glad you could make it, GREGORY.

An SBD.....or an Executive Committee. So you've been watching.

Hmmmm....."man of vision". Why, thank you, bud! If only my family can see it that way, too...

Thank you for the compliments.

So, sin2 is getting the site ready? That's great! He's a busy person but a well down-to-earth guy to associate with! He's like us!

Well, be checking for up-to-date time to time. Good luck in the board and let me know if there's something I can do to "support the cause" with you guys, GREGORY, sin2, and Bink,!!!

Catch you around HWC!

Thanks...
    D5

Reguards

Give it up man, the admin gods have spoken. There is no election and never will be. I believe the real reason for this is that certain people didn't want to see SkySlash and Collinj have a chance to get the position. It really doesn't matter, the decision was made. I don't bother reading the off topic forum anymore because it lacks maturity. If I want to read anything here, I'll visit the General forum. At least, I voted for Toolbox.

This by far has to be the most difficult project I've ever elected to take....Luckily for me and my heart rate, A full time person will be brought in this summer to deal solely with the discussion boards...

I reviewed everyone's comments about the mod position and appointed someone, I assumed that would be well enough...Rather than wasting tons of time starting a whole new post about the election....I saw about 892349023894 posts just about it...So I assumed an "official one" wouldn't be necessary....I am adding another mod to the Off-Topic forum because I feel that it's what is wanted....

Shrug...

------------------
    Michael Jarmark http://www.internet.com

[This message has been edited by mjarmark (edited 05-01-2000).]

Indeed it was chaotic. Every step of the way, paved with debate, arguments and flamewars. A thickening plot of twisted stories, scared little men and even the odd alien from Mars (or was that just a member under the influence?). A truly intriguing story full of sex, lies and a video card forum.

Oh well, I've sprouted enough. Have a few days off to recover mjarmark, it's probably well deserved

Wise decision.

Thanks for responding mjarmark...

I think collinj was the hands down top vote getter so his appointment was correct.

I have thought for some time that this board needs full time monitoring by someone in touch with the members so your announcement is welcome news.

Sander, Jeff, and yourself have once again shown your willingness to respond to our concerns and you continue to gain our respect and support.

Thanks to all once again.

It's too late for now anywho, so... Good luck TN

------------------
    I don’t know how I got here… I was only looking for the washroom.
    brainsoft, XiBase Alumni.

"I don't know how I got here, I was only looking for the washroom."

Thread Information