New forum / Change existing forum - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New forum / Change existing forum

I have also referred people to this forum , I claimed it to be THE place to get your questions answered.

Now I have to say "as long as you don't go to the genereal forum" .

I am a little ashamed of where we have gone lately.

I agree, I have gotten quite bored at the General Forum with all the very off topic threads.

A social forum should be put up so all of this garbage can go there.

Of course, that forum would be boring and maybe very few will go there but at least the General Forum will be nice to visit again.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Toolbox...

You are the moderator of the General Forum and as such have the power to determine what the content of that forum should be.

You can make a statement to the members that certain post topics do not belong there and start locking the threads that do show up that you don't approve of.

I'm sure all of the respected members will support you in any actions you may take.

That's what I would do if I felt the way you do.

Good Luck.

My 2 cents.. no politics or religion in ANY forum, its bad news every time.

Rich
    New Hardware Central
    members homepage
    http://www.hwcpics.totalserve.co.uk/
    Formally known as Rich3077

Two more cents for me.. Yet another new thread from a confused new member complaining about off topic posts in the General forum.
    http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...ML/005565.html

We have been through this subject so many times that it is indeed frustrating.
    If we cant have a regular off topic forum then I suggest at least changing the discription of the General forum to include off topic posts.

Rich
    New Hardware Central
    members homepage
    http://www.hwcpics.totalserve.co.uk/
    Formally known as Rich3077

We need to think of the future and it appears that as we are growing in size...we are gaining quite a few "social" posters who are younger and maybe not as capable as our older more experienced members and yet they want to actively participate in the community that we are...therefore we get more "off topic" posts and the general forum has been decided on as the forum for that sort of post.

Lately we are getting posts that are even more off topic than the off topic posts that we all agreed would fit in the general forum.

So.....it may be worth giving it a try on a temporary basis and to have a Social Forum to give those members that post those topics a place to gather and do what they do on the condition of keeping it under control flame-wise or the whole forum is deleted.

I think SkySlash should moderate that forum should it be created.
    I would also place it on the bottom of the forum list below the Mobile Forum so it's not in your face when a new member first visits our forums.

The other option as I stated is just to sweep out the general forum and to tell the offending poster's to take it elsewhere.

It's all up to us and what we see as the future course of this site.

i think your right its nice to get to know other people but i find myself lately falling into the chat trap at general which was not my intention.
    to gain member status by helping others and having a place for help when i need it was more my goal.
    if it has to be here then gregory has the right idea preferrably at the bottom.

people like d5 i believe and his mac attack is sort of hardware related and humorous and lends a little lightheartedness in fact its hilarious and should stay now that i think of it,lol.

[This message has been edited by rangeral (edited 04-09-2000).]

I agree with rangeral.....D5 is funny and never offensive and is a big asset to the general forum.

What would we do without an occasional Mac-Attack?

I agree with rich, no more political or religious topics and I will be happy

------------------
    I will KILL for my KRAFT DINNER!!!!!
    I will KILL for my KRAFT DINNER!!!!!
    Shove that MAC up your A$$!!

Yeah - D5 brightens up my otherwise dull and mundane working environment.

------------------
    // Black Holes are where God divided by zero //

I have only been here at HWC for a short while now. I have bought in to some silly, stupid activity here as well as some others. My intentions are good, but was easily led into being very rude and crude, out and out, when I look at it, vulgar. I got to the point while reading some of the off the beaten trail topics, of thinking anything and everything goes. So why not push the limit. Well because it was totally inappropriate of me and not in my best interest nor any one elses. I hope to only post from now on questions and if possible a productive reply.
    I to hope that a new thread will develop and be placed at the bottom of the list. And that I grow up a bit more!!
    Asus A7V8X mobo bios 1013
    Athlon MobilXP 2600 + @ 15x167
    vcore 1.7v
    ThermalTake Volcano 12 Extreme
    Enermax 350W PS
    GEIL PC3200 CL2 3-3-6
    Seagate Barracuda 40g hd
    Saphire Radeon 9800Pro Atlantis 128
    core378/mem337.5 default
    Catalyst 5.12/dx9.0c
    Win 2000pro
    Liteon 40x12x48 burner
    Liteon DVD
    Old floppy
    Logitech MX310 Optical
    DSL modem and (one old dial up for work purposes)
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Audio

If we take away the 'off topics' alot of the regulars will get bored and go away. I know I produce quite alot of **** in the overclocking forum, but then I think I contribute relevant answers aswell (I hope I do anyway).

A new forum isn't going to help, the same people are going to do the same they've always done.

Are you saying you want this whole site just to be one-track minded. I myself prefer a little variety.

I don't want the off-topic posts to disappear. But lately, there have been several threads covering controversial issues, like abortion and legalizing drugs. I'm just afraid they'll scare new members away. Since quite a lot of other hardware sites have an "off-topic" forum, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't have one here. I know that the general forum is where the members post off-topic threads, but those who are new to this site are not aware of this.

What do the administrators have to say about this ?

New forum!
    New forum!

The new forum would not require very much moderating...as (almost) anything will be allowed.

------------------

How about this idea ... we just change the heading of the General forum to off topic instead? It is pratically that already. That way old members won't have to "move" to the new forum (and have to move their mouse alllll the way over to the new link), and new members/visitors won't be scared away/put off by the controversial/flaming topics. I get a feeling that if we had both a General forum and a off topic forum, either one of those forum would die very quickly.

Thread Information