A new Forum
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: A new Forum

A new Forum

I would like to request (and possibly moderate) a new forum at HWC.

I would like to use this forum to discuss experiences in dealing with various vendors (both software and hardware), tech support, general support (and similar) experiences that various people have made with buying online, in stores and so on.

I feel that this would be a useful addition to HWC, even if I don't project that this will be a very active forum (to begin with).

A lot of people have made different experiences with the same company, sometimes wildly different, and I for one believe there are some connections and some experiences are just plain (good or bad) luck.

Some of the things that could be discussed here would be:
    "Where can I purchase XXX?" I live in YYY?"

"Do XXX ship to my country?"

"I just bought XXX from YYY and the product was great, but service sucked - is it me or have other experienced this to?"

"I just bought product XXX (Rev A.B.C) from manufacturer YYY, and it sucks. It says it supports ZZZ, but it doesnt - bewarned!"

The reason for creating this site is many-fold:

1. Some of us have worked in the industry and have gained good knowledge that we would happily pass on to people who are having problems dealing effectively with companies/vendors/suppliers.

2. Some of us (have) frequently (dealt)/deal with support, sales (etc) and have experiences to pass on to people who have questions.

3. Some of us just buy and test a lot of hardware/software and have experiences with may be useful.

4. Some companies are very poor and obviously out for the fast buck. Reseller-Ratings.com has a site which tabulates this in the form of "points". Even companies that has a bad reputation can be dealt with and some people go to reseller-ratings.com after they bought the product...
    I will point out we wont rate anything, just pass on our collective experiences.

5. Similar discussions take part on all HWC boards (I think), this would put them in a place with a better overview (in my opinion).

Comments? Suggestions? My ideas may not be perfectly clear, or maybe there is something I have overlooked. Constructive criticism and feedback is welcome.

------------------
    // Black Holes are where God divided by zero //

Particular of interest to Canadians ... if I buy this from the US, will there be taxes on it!!!!!

I think it is a good idea, I also think most if this is covered in the general forum. When a question like that comes up in the general forum we usually cover it, for ex:

http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...ML/004634.html

http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...ML/004976.html

http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...ML/004801.html

http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...ML/001630.html

http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...ML/004754.html

http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...ML/004942.html

But, dont get me wrong, it is a good idea

------------------
    I will KILL for my KRAFT DINNER!!!!!
    I will KILL for my KRAFT DINNER!!!!!
    Shove that MAC up your A$$!!

Good - I thought a lot of these questions would end up in the general forum - a few end up in specific forums (like buying peltiers ends up on Overclocking).

I feel another forum for these issues might be in order - but that is just my opinion.
    These issues are important (after all its your $$$ that can go down the tube) and the Q & A should be easily located.

This would be ONE way of doing it.

------------------

You have my support.

Great!
    Very important for me coz I'm in a third world country

you have my support also.
    Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

HOME

It is a good idea. I live in South Africa and sometimes need info on where to buy. Especially if i wan't the lowest and best buys. you have my vote.
    EPOX EP9NPA+
    AMD 64 3000+
    2x 512mb Samsung DDR 400
    80gb Western Digital
    Benq DvD Writer
    LG Combo
    19" Mag Innovision CRT
    GeForce 6600GT
    Windows XP Pro SP1

I like the idea. Im not sure if the "search" function works in the site at all (it used to have "problems"), but I trust the members here when they praise reputable retailers. In theory, searching this site by a retailer would let you know if anyone here has an experience with a specific co. - In reality, it is up to members to post questions in the "General" forum about where to buy X-brand at a good price.

The danger here is spamers- although they are fairly easy to spot. But a good deal is a must to pass on. Good luck on your request.

Ditto. Obtaining the real price can be annoying to say the least if it is out of country.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Got my vote.

------------------
    Check the things it can't be first. It shortens the list.
    You can talk about "that" here

Remember that guy your mom warned you about? I beat the snot outta him.

Sounds good to me also. Can't spchell tonight

[This message has been edited by spark25 (edited 03-27-2000).]

Thanks for the support so far.

I would like to point out again that the idea is to give an indication of what a retailer is like (generally, for support, speed - reliability) rather than an index of "where can I buy XXX?" questions.

Searching online via Altavista and retaler networks will be far better than a bulletin board for finding a specific product, although I dont not see why you cannot ask other people (via this forum) if they know of any retailers that ship to their country/area/planet.

The goal here would be to hilight general shortcommings of many firms that offer products online and to share any unusual experiences with people - the good that i hope will come out of some of the issues would be to help retailers and customers (i.e. us) work out how to shop better and sell better; after all - retailers are in the game to make money and you are out to save money and I think both is possible whilst still getting a dependable service.

I have checked out reseller-ratings.com, and well, they are lacking. To get an idea you sometimes have to read through 800 posts of people whining - and I have no idea of what percentage of people who post, post because they got a bad deal - I suspect people who are happy dot even think to go there.

I am not saying that most online sales suck! I am saying that most of them have shortcommings somewhere that are good to know about before placing a large order, or a small order.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tiberia (edited 03-28-2000).]

Thread Information