What articles would I like to see on HardwareCentral?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: What articles would I like to see on HardwareCentral?

What articles would I like to see on HardwareCentral?

I posted a new thread because the BBS wouldn't allow me to reply in the previous thread by Jefftee.

Originally posted by Jefftee:

Hey Everyone,
    We're preparing for another round of articles at HardwareCentral and we were interested in seeing what type of articles you guys would like to read about. Or if there are any specific topics that you would like us to write about.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Jeff Tseng
    jtseng@hardwarecentral.com
    HardwareCentral
    I'm glad you asked this question Jeff.

I want to see HWC do some reviews on Athlon processors, motherboards, and at least one complete Athlon based PC. I don't care if it's an OEM model, but if so I would prefer that it be from one of the smaller PC OEMs.

For some reason, this site tends to avoid reviewing AMD CPUs and compatible hardware as if it were the bubonic plague. Those of us in these forums who support AMD and the increased competition/lower prices they bring to the industry have been left to speculate as to why HWC refuses to acknowledge AMD's position as the current technological leader in the x86 CPU market. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that this speculation has lead some to conclude that HWC's funding comes from a source that wouldn't tolerate such open proclaimation of the truth.

Now, I have here a link and quote from Mr. Sander Sassen himself, dating back to September 24 of last year:

http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...ML/003980.html

Hi Guys,
    Expect a review up on HardwareCentral somewhere next week of a 800MHz Athlon running on an Asus K7M.

Regards,

Sander Sassen
    Needless to say, the review never happened. Either that, or the findings were never made public. I took a quick look at your review archives today, and immediately found that the only CPU reviews in the archive are Intel reviews.

Additionally, I counted at least 20 Intel BX/ZX and VIA Apollo Pro 133 Slot 1/Socket 370 motherboard reviews from the past year or so. There is not one Athlon Slot A or even K6-x super 7 review on the list- not even one!!!!!

I want to see more even-handedness in your choice of reviews, and I can assure you that I am not the only one who feels this way. I don't think this is an unreasonable request, and it would only be right and fair of you to honor it.

You're right, we really don't have any content on the Athlon. We'll try to get some up ASAP. Thanks for the feedback

------------------
    Jeff Tseng
    HardwareCentral
    Jeff Tseng
    HardwareCentral

I had the same posting problem as Rogue so I am relpying here.

I would really like to see a review of the new Epox Athlon board with the Via chipset.
    There must be a million people waiting in line for these boards.. so a reveiw of one done right away would be a hot item.. not to mention I want to buy one myself!

[shameless plug]If you decide to sell your review board drop me a line![/shameless plug]

Thanks
    Rich H.
    New Hardware Central
    members homepage
    http://www.hwcpics.totalserve.co.uk/
    Formally known as Rich3077

I'd be interested in that too Rich.

I still haven't put together an Athlon system because I just don't want to mess with a buggy board.

EPOX is a decent company with good tech support so I'm kinda thinkin that might be my first Athlon board when it's commonly available.

Good idea Rich...
    as always

Passed the request along to Sander. I talked to Sander today and the reason why we haven't been doing Athlon reviews is because...AMD. I'll leave it at that But we're going to follow up with them and see if we can get some Athlon articles and reviews up soon.

------------------
    Jeff Tseng
    HardwareCentral
    Jeff Tseng
    HardwareCentral

I am certainly glad to hear it. Many forum members have long waited for HWC to start doing AMD reviews. Some of them have even given up hope of ever seeing such a review, and now only come here for the BBS.

Regarding the reason you give as to why no AMD product reviews have ever been done, all I can say is; no offense to Sander, but that excuse simply doesn't hold water.

I might accept that excuse if the other sites (Ace's Hardware, AGN hardware, Anandtech, Sharky Extreme's, Tom's Hardware, etc. just to name a few) hadn't been able to get referance systems, CPUs, motherboards, and other components whenever they have wanted them. Why or how could HWC possibly be any different?

This problem didn't just start with the introduction of Athlon either. Just check out the review archives and you'll find that it dates back to the earlier days of this website- a time when AMD's top end chip was the K6-3.

[This message has been edited by Rogue Gunman (edited 02-17-2000).]

Rogue:

I see your point. But you can't really blame Sander. Running the site is quite a big job and it's hard to stay on top of everything all the time. Sharky, Anand, Tom are all much larger than us and have more pull with the hardware companies.

But with the feedback you guys have been giving us, we know were to focus our time better.

------------------
    Jeff Tseng
    HardwareCentral
    Jeff Tseng
    HardwareCentral

I not really blaming anyone, sine in all honesty I don't know who really calls the shots around here. For all I know it may be done by committee.

To tell the truth, I'm really not even concerned with why things have happened the way they have in the past either- so long as it takes a turn for the better in the future. If this happens, rest assured any mistakes of the past will be quickly forgotten.

P.S.- You can throw in another second to Rich's request for a review of the Epox EP-7KXA

Thread Information