Should I insulate my CPU if I use a waterblock.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Should I insulate my CPU if I use a waterblock.

Should I insulate my CPU if I use a waterblock.

I recently got an Innovatek waterblock, have the whoe thing ready to go after testing it outside of the system for about a day to make sure there were no leaks. My question is this: Although I'm using a heater core as a radiator and it seems to do a good job I was wondering about condensation. I used cold water to test for this and sure enough, water started condensing on the outside after while. The reason for this is because my apt has no AC and get really hot so I'm worried about just the environtment alone warming up the water too much. Should I insulate it the same way you'd do a peltier and if so where can I get the closed-cell foam and dielectric grease? Any links to sites explaining this or any tips are welcome.

That's why I haven't gone water as of yet. In my neck of the woods, if you leave a glass of tea, soda, or water it will be sittin in a pool when you get back. it's just too humid here. It would be VERY hard to keep it from killing your PC.

------------------
    Who made that man a gunner.
    I did sir, he's my cousin.
    Who is he?
    He's an ******* sir.
    I know that, what's his name?
    That is his name sir, *******, Major *******.
    And his cousin?
    He's an ******* too sir. Gunners Mate First Class Phllip *******
    Opteron 148@2805(255x11-1.4v)
    Stock cooling(until I get a water block)
    Asrock 939Dual-SATAII
    1GB PC3200 OCZ Gold EL(2-2-2-8-2 1T 5:6 Divider)
    Sapphire X800GTO2(520/580 - Unlocked 16 Pipes)
    Antec TruePower 550 vmodded
    2x Western Digital WD-1200JS(RAID0)
    Lite-ON 1633S DVDRW
    Gentoo 2.6.14-nitro2

If you Don't use cold water as you actually run it, it should be fine. Although, if you do insulate it, it will keep your water a bit cooler due to the heat in the box won't get at it as much

------------------
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

Your water temp will never get below ambient (room) temperature unless you super cool or use a bong.
    Think about it....your fan is blowing ambient air across your radiator...how can it get colder than the air itself? A blowing fan doesn't really make the air colder,it just circulates it and the moving air pulls moisture away from your skin making you feel cooler. (experts....feel free to clarify my analogy)If you set a glass of icewater on the counter,yes it will flood condensation...but if you put a glass of room temp water beside it,it will just sit there and not sweat a drop.
    I have 2 watercooled rigs here, 1 is actually setup in a outside workshop, the other indoors. I live 3 blocks from the pacific ocean and we get some big daytime/nighttime temperature diferentials...50's at night to 80's or more daytime. I've never seen a drop of condensation on any of my cooling system parts.

------------------

dirt rules
    dirt rules

When it comes out of the tap it can be as low as 60'F because of the temp of the ground water. Either fill it with warmer water or let it sit for a while to warm the water up to air temps. Once the system is running the temps will never get below room temperature unless you chill the water. Some people add ice to the resivour for testing. Some peopl in colder climates run the radiator outside (or to a cooler location of some sort) to chill it that way.

The goal of water cooling (without peltiers) is to keep your CPU as close to room temp as possible. At room temp or above you will get no condensation.

------------------
    AthlonXP 1600+ 1.65v 42'C
    FOP32-1 Mod w/80mm 30db
    Epox 8KHA+ KT266A
    256MB Crucial DDR266 cas2
    GeForce4 Ti4200 (300/551)
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    Antec SX-630 Case (mod'd)
    TTGI TT-350-SS 370w PS
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thanks for clarifying that. I was only wondering since I was considering leaving the resevior surrounded by dry ice to try to keep the water cooler.

Thread Information