Duron 1.2ghz
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Duron 1.2ghz

Hybrid View

Duron 1.2ghz

does anyone know any good software that i can use to overclock my duron 1.2ghz?

you don't use software to overclock CPU's you use the system's bios.

what motherboard do you have?

------------------
    people that drive slow are easy to pass, it's people who drive fast that provide a challange.
    people that drive slow are easy to pass, it's people who drive fast that provide a challange.

CPUCool does have the ability to adjust the FSB, but I have never tried it. I have heard that it works though. It also can lower the bus speed if the temps get to high. This a nice feature for a server that can not go down, but the cooling has failed. Lowering the FSB will drasically lower the heat and prevent the temp monitoring part of the software from completely shutting the system down. This is also a cooling program. It works good at dropping the idle temps about 8-10'C on most Athlon/Duron CPUs.

It also can adjust the fan speeds, but I have been having trouble with this one. I don't know if it is my fan or what, but the fan sometimes turns off all the way. It was a low RPM case fan, so it might not do this with a higher RPM fan. I would start at 2500RPM and have it lower to 1500RPM in a temperature range. It would start acting funny at about 200 and would turn off at about 1700RPM.

I use the same fan for my CPU fan and my other fans are not 3-pin fans, so I could not test it farther. I think I have a YS-Tech 60mm kicking around that I might play with, then if it works better, I could use it on my Duron600@900Mhz. The GlobalWin FOP32-1 is a little noisier than I like (even 35db gets to me after a while, I like my 30db fan on my Athlon).

They have a free version for download, but it is not the newest and some features might not be there. I think I paid $13 for the registered version and he puts out updates about every month.

------------------
    AthlonXP 1600+ 1.65v 42'C
    FOP32-1 Mod w/80mm 30db
    Epox 8KHA+ KT266A
    256MB Crucial DDR266 cas2
    GeForce4 Ti4200 (300/540)
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    Antec SX-630 Case (mod'd)
    TTGI TT-350-SS 370w PS
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

I have a giga-byte GA-7ZXE with 256mb ram and an extra 80mm system fan, i also need advice on extra cooling for my system. At the moment i am using a program i download from the gig-byte web site called "easytune 4" it seems ok, but can't really tell if it is doing anything.

[This message has been edited by drunk_skunk_punk (edited 06-10-2002).]

Thread Information