How to solder aluminum to copper!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: How to solder aluminum to copper!

ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone

How to solder aluminum to copper!

Well I had a cooler master PIV HS lying around here and a bunch of copper 3/8" stock. I cut out a area the size of the aluminum HS and then proceded to solder it to the copper.

The first thing I did was go and get some aluminum to copper solder which I could not get to melt on my stove

So I went and tried the flux they sent with the aluminum solder with regular silver bearing solder. Well for some reason the flux on the aluminum with the silver solder worked and it stuck. I then proceeded to paint the whole base of my aluminum HS with the solder until it was well coated. I then let it cool to see how well it was stuck to the aluminum. It was stuck on good it seemed!

I then took the copper plate and did the same thing with it. I painted the whole surface with solder but with flux first. It took naturally and looked like the third pic in this picturial!

I then stuck the two together with pressure on my stove until it stuck and then I was done with it.

Here is a prelim pic before I cleaned it up sanded it up nice and shiny! I have not tried it yet on a cpu but I may in a few days to tell how well it works.

That is a 80mm fan attatched on top of it!

------------------
    1.2Ghz cel-t @ 1.6GHz/1.65v

Off Topic Central

Nice work, ol' man!

I have a FOP-32 heatsink at home and some copper/aluminium soldering stuff (used to solder marine propeller blades onto aluminium prop bosses!) so might give that a go this summer. I'll also do what Todd a did; bend the fins out to fit an 80mm fan. Is 3/8" about the right thickness for the base?

MuFu.

------------------
    XP1700+@1776MHz
    Abit KG7-R
    Crucial 512MB
    90GB of IBM GXP Worry!
    15 GF4 Ti4400 :-)
    (Radeon 8500 owner, always...)
    WinXP

GOTcentral?
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

agreed. looks pretty damn good. nice work. how does that thing attch to the board? i see no slot for the clip what u gonna use it on?

Originally posted by dfgsd:
    agreed. looks pretty damn good. nice work. how does that thing attch to the board? I see no slot for the clip what u gonna use it on?
    Hehe that is me next project. I think it is going to involve a skil saw and a metal cutting blade I will then use the common attachment intel has for their tualatin chips. it is a very well designed
    clip.

The big question is will it beat out my pal 6035? If it does then that is where this will go!

------------------

Off Topic Central

Well I got it on my chip right now and it seems to be working very well. A little better than my pal 6035 by maybe 4 deg. C.

Here are some temps.

Here are some pics of my modded alpha pal 6035 with a 3/8" slug soldered to it.

And a pic of the modded cooler master PIV HS with a 3/8" slug soldered onto it!

After I get the clip done I am going to put this into my machine and lap the base alot better. Should maybe get another drop 1~2 deg. C then also.

------------------

Off Topic Central

[This message has been edited by ol' man (edited 05-31-2002).]

My C/W's for this range from .26 to .29 depending on ambient. My pal is around .32 C/W.

------------------

Off Topic Central

Ok Ol'Man...I broke out the aluminum welding flux and some old aluminum and copper pieces to see what I could do.
    Excellent ! now you got the wheels turning here...thinking waterblocks! heh.
    The gas stove works great, but mrs crane is gonna be pissed about the solder under the burner.
    That flux you use , is it a white powder? mix it with H2o ,apply to area...heat till it liquifies? good chit here.

------------------

dirt rules
    dirt rules

I thaught it couldn't be done. Man, the FOP32-1 I use that I mod'd to fit an 80mm fan works great, but a copper heatspreader would just ROCK for use with those pesky little Athlon cores.

I would likely use a thinner peice. As it is just a heatspreader, I think a 1/8" peice should do the trick. If you want to see the mod you need to check out my GeoCities photo page (I wish I could link pictures like you used to to, damb Yahoo).
    http://www.geocities.com/todd_e_abbo...opagerock.html

------------------
    AthlonXP 1600+ 1.65v 42'C
    FOP32-1 Mod w/80mm 30db
    Epox 8KHA+ KT266A
    256MB Crucial DDR266 cas2
    GeForce4 Ti4200 (300/540)
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    Antec SX-630 Case (mod'd)
    TTGI TT-350-SS 370w PS
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

No you want to use 1/4" or better for optimum heat spreading other wise the performence goes down alot!

------------------

Off Topic Central

Thread Information