Watercooling help.....
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Watercooling help.....

Watercooling help.....

Here's the deal. I want to water cool and voltmod the t-Bird rig to get as much as possible out of it. Maybe then it won't ive me a headache to use it also.
    Here's what I want:
    1. Self containment in the full-tower case it's in.
    2. Status lights built into a drive cover warning me of a failure.
    3. I want to build a relay, so that when the power switch is depressed it starts the pump and radiator fan. Then, only after the cooling is started, the system boots up.
    4. Fail-over setup so that if any part of the water-cooling dies the system goes down immediately.

Anybody know the electronics involved in this, and how difficult it would actually be?
    Any help is appreciated...
    NBD

------------------
    Who made that man a gunner.
    I did sir, he's my cousin.
    Who is he?
    He's an ******* sir.
    I know that, what's his name?
    That is his name sir, *******, Major *******.
    And his cousin?
    He's an ******* too sir. Gunners Mate First Class Phllip *******
    Opteron 148@2805(255x11-1.4v)
    Stock cooling(until I get a water block)
    Asrock 939Dual-SATAII
    1GB PC3200 OCZ Gold EL(2-2-2-8-2 1T 5:6 Divider)
    Sapphire X800GTO2(520/580 - Unlocked 16 Pipes)
    Antec TruePower 550 vmodded
    2x Western Digital WD-1200JS(RAID0)
    Lite-ON 1633S DVDRW
    Gentoo 2.6.14-nitro2

Well,heres a tutorial on wiring your pump. If I come across anything else related,I'll post. http://www.procooling.com/articles/h...umps_-_p.shtml

------------------

dirt rules
    dirt rules

I made a pretty big Res that fit well in my case, the only problem is I couldn't find a rad that actually fit inside, I have one of the biggest PC cases I've seen too, so if you come up with a solution, lemme know.

As for the failsafe part... you could add leak sensors at your joints (basically two wires that aren't connected, but close to each other, so any water would short the connection... And I'm not sure how, but maybe a waterflow meter? Something similar to the things that measure windspeed. Have it as a separate unit the water has to flow through, if it stops (or slows down) the power is cut. I'm just throwin out ideas though! Good luck!

------------------
    Stupidity should be painful.
    Woohoo, 14th person to solve the 4D rubik's cube...ever! http://www.superliminal.com/cube/cube.htm

Watch me solve a regular cube in 24.2 seconds at www.rubiks.dk videolist, Daniel Hayes!

The case the t-bird is in was jacked from a server. It has provisions for dual PSU's stacked ontop of one another. Right now it's running with the bare minimum 350w, and the top one is a big gaping hole towards the rear. What I want to do is get a nice high power PSU that has quiet fans blowing out. Put a single quiet 120 mm fan where the dual 80mm go in the bottom front, and put the radiator up where currently there is nothing. Have the radiator physically outside the case, and the fan inside blowing through the radiator. Sound like a plan?

------------------
    Who made that man a gunner.
    I did sir, he's my cousin.
    Who is he?
    He's an ******* sir.
    I know that, what's his name?
    That is his name sir, *******, Major *******.
    And his cousin?
    He's an ******* too sir. Gunners Mate First Class Phllip *******

[This message has been edited by NewBlackDak (edited 05-31-2002).]
    Opteron 148@2805(255x11-1.4v)
    Stock cooling(until I get a water block)
    Asrock 939Dual-SATAII
    1GB PC3200 OCZ Gold EL(2-2-2-8-2 1T 5:6 Divider)
    Sapphire X800GTO2(520/580 - Unlocked 16 Pipes)
    Antec TruePower 550 vmodded
    2x Western Digital WD-1200JS(RAID0)
    Lite-ON 1633S DVDRW
    Gentoo 2.6.14-nitro2

Originally posted by Swedishlf:
    I made a pretty big Res that fit well in my case, the only problem is I couldn't find a rad that actually fit inside, I have one of the biggest PC cases I've seen too, so if you come up with a solution, lemme know.
    Like this?

MuFu.

------------------
    XP1700+@1776MHz
    Abit KG7-R
    Crucial 512MB
    90GB of IBM GXP Worry!
    15 GF4 Ti4400 :-)
    (Radeon 8500 owner, always...)
    WinXP

GOTcentral?
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

MuFu, I'm in Love.

------------------
    If it looks good, you'll see it, if it sounds good, you'll hear it, but if it's real, you'll Feel it.
    For a little rougher OT, come to Off Topic Central (Home of the Headbanger)

Linkage to water flow indicator with electronics to monitor flow,shutdown failsafe ect. http://www.overclockers.com/tips642/index.asp

------------------

dirt rules
    dirt rules

Hey MuFu, where'd you get that rad, how well does it work, how much, and what are those two big fans on the left cooling?

My Res is WAY bigger though. Anyone know a free image hosting site?

------------------
    Stupidity should be painful.
    Woohoo, 14th person to solve the 4D rubik's cube...ever! http://www.superliminal.com/cube/cube.htm

Watch me solve a regular cube in 24.2 seconds at www.rubiks.dk videolist, Daniel Hayes!

The radiator came as part of an Innovatek W/C kit. http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...ML/018077.html (all the dirt on it is in there)

Seems to work pretty well, although I had to ditch running a GPU block in series with the CPU block since the load was a bit much with just the one 120mm fan at 7V. I guess the effectiveness is due to the construction: copper tubes with VERY thin aluminium fins (you really can't even touch them with more than a slight pressure otherwise they bend). Put two 120mm fans on there and it could probably handle most things. You can also bolt two radiators together, maybe with a fan inbetween and one on the end.

The two fans on the left are an Evercool Card Cooler and I swear EVERYBODY SHOULD HAVE ONE! Not much noise, only about 15 bucks, and pretty good for blasting 60cfm air down either side of your graphics card.

MuFu.

------------------
    XP1700+@1776MHz
    Abit KG7-R
    Crucial 512MB
    90GB of IBM GXP Worry!
    15 GF4 Ti4400 :-)
    (Radeon 8500 owner, always...)
    WinXP

GOTcentral?

[This message has been edited by Mutha Funker (edited 06-01-2002).]
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

Thread Information