God Bless the BX..
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: God Bless the BX..

God Bless the BX..

Haven't posted in a while. Been spending too much time building my new truck.

Anywho, my PIII800@1066 finally died, so I go out to get a replacement. I notice the 1.3 Celerons are only $75, and I remembered reading about removing pins on the Tualation core chips to drop it in an older chipset. So I get one just to see. I get home, and pull off the pins and drop it in my good ole BX-133R. Comes up!! I go into the setup and put her at 100fsb, and leave the multi alone(even though it's at 2). Reboot, and it comes up saying intel PIII 467 MHz. I let it come up. Get into Windows and run CPUID: 1300.83 MHz!! I ran Sandra to confirm, and lookin good. Running at 1.6 vcore @1300 right now. Letting it run QIII loop with CPUBURN in the background. Seems stable after 13 hours. Running with the Volcano 6 cu+ I had on the 800, and it is way cooler. Imma try and squeeze every last ounce out of it, and get some BM's and screen shots. I'll be back. muahahahaha

------------------
    Who made that man a gunner.
    I did sir, he's my cousin.
    Who is he?
    He's an ******* sir.
    I know that, what's his name?
    That is his name sir, *******, Major *******.
    And his cousin?
    He's an ******* too sir. Gunners Mate First Class Phllip *******
    Opteron 148@2805(255x11-1.4v)
    Stock cooling(until I get a water block)
    Asrock 939Dual-SATAII
    1GB PC3200 OCZ Gold EL(2-2-2-8-2 1T 5:6 Divider)
    Sapphire X800GTO2(520/580 - Unlocked 16 Pipes)
    Antec TruePower 550 vmodded
    2x Western Digital WD-1200JS(RAID0)
    Lite-ON 1633S DVDRW
    Gentoo 2.6.14-nitro2

Hey-- good to see ya!

Bless the BX indeed... I'd probably still be using my BX if it hadn't conked out back in December. (AGP slot I suspect...)

Before it went, it saw 4 different video cards, about that many hard drives, and 2 different CPUs and 2 sound cards.

For a tear-it-down and build-it-up and run it 24x7 for almost 3 years without even reinstalling Windows I suppose I can't complain.

I don't expect to see another chipset like the BX anytime soon...

------------------
    what?

ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone
    Originally posted by NewBlackDak:
    Haven't posted in a while. Been spending too much time building my new truck.

Anywho, my PIII800@1066 finally died, so I go out to get a replacement. I notice the 1.3 Celerons are only $75, and I remembered reading about removing pins on the Tualation core chips to drop it in an older chipset. So I get one just to see. I get home, and pull off the pins and drop it in my good ole BX-133R. Comes up!! I go into the setup and put her at 100fsb, and leave the multi alone(even though it's at 2). Reboot, and it comes up saying intel PIII 467 MHz. I let it come up. Get into Windows and run CPUID: 1300.83 MHz!! I ran Sandra to confirm, and lookin good. Running at 1.6 vcore @1300 right now. Letting it run QIII loop with CPUBURN in the background. Seems stable after 13 hours. Running with the Volcano 6 cu+ I had on the 800, and it is way cooler. Imma try and squeeze every last ounce out of it, and get some BM's and screen shots. I'll be back. muahahahaha

NBD, what is up? Been along time indeed!

Sweet you got it to work I like to hear that! I am the one who brought that mod here to HWC. Chances are you will probably max out around 1600MHz. You may be able to get it too 133fbs but that is a slimmer chance. The 1.1a or 1.2 would have been better for that. Here is a good link regarding this mod.
    http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showth...threadid=67417

Post there if you get the chance. It is a good thread. Can't let it die just yet!

Some have gotten the 1.3 to hit close to 1700. Pushing it with maybe 1.9v you may do it! What were the markings on your chip? At 1.6 you should hit 1500 pretty easy since the chip runs with a 1.5v default. What wires did you connect if any? Check my sig!

Some have been connecting ak4 to aj5 with conductive paint and that works quite well!

------------------
    1.2Ghz cel-t @ 1.6GHz/1.65v

Off Topic Central

[This message has been edited by ol' man (edited 05-14-2002).]

I haven't actually shorted any pins. All I did was remove the three. If I understand correctly, the short only needs to be done if it won't post. Is that correct, or is there a stability issue with a high OC? I couldn't wait any longer with the OC. It's at 1560(13x120) right now, and running stability tests.
    If this looks to be good, I think I'll try a 1.2 PIII and try to hit 1600 with it in the BX-133. Then drop the celalation in the BF6 which has been home to a PII-400@500, PIII600@726, and PIII800@1066. There was even a short stint with a Celeron after I killed the 400 before I got the 600.

I have been scarce lately, but here's why: I got married, moved into my new house, bought a second truck, had it wrecked 17 days later, bought a replacement for the wrecked one, bought out a smaller gym/healthclub. Been very busy!!

------------------
    Who is he?
    He's an ******* sir.
    And his cousin?
    Asrock 939Dual-SATAII
    Lite-ON 1633S DVDRW
    Gentoo 2.6.14-nitro2

I miss my BF6... may it rest in peace...

------------------
    Stupidity should be painful.
    Woohoo, 14th person to solve the 4D rubik's cube...ever! http://www.superliminal.com/cube/cube.htm

Watch me solve a regular cube in 24.2 seconds at www.rubiks.dk videolist, Daniel Hayes!

Where can I post some pics?
    I killed my first on trying to run a wire for more OC. Ran to the wrong pin. Got a 1.2 Replacement today.
    Have some stability issues. Turns out it was the "In Order Depth Que" option in BIOS. Machine seems slower with it off. No freezes, just random re-boots. With it on the least agressive setting, I've had no problems. I'm gonna up it till it don't work and then back-off 1
    Sitting@1500 (125x12)
    Sandra Math 4158ALU/2022FPU
    Sandra Media 8205Int/10186SSe
    Anybody know who has free web-hosting. I wanna get some of these up.
    My 3dMark is suckin it up though. I think the Cache setting is hurting that.
    Ol' Man: Any help on this? You heard anything I can do to fix this? By the way. I'm running a BIOS that was modded and had the Tualation micro-code put into it.

------------------
    Who is he?
    He's an ******* sir.
    And his cousin?
    Asrock 939Dual-SATAII
    Lite-ON 1633S DVDRW
    Gentoo 2.6.14-nitro2

Hey [b]NewBlackKak{/b],

I just got a new Dakota last night. a graphite colored R/T model. It is actually my third Dakota though. I don't know what that has to do with computers but I just had to say it.

------------------
    Mike
    Mechanical Engineer
    Dell Computer Corporation
    Storage Systems Group
    Mike
    Mechanical Engineer
    Dell Computer Corporation
    Server Development

Dimarini,

I love my R/T. It's got a vortech supercharger, and alot of other go-fast goodies. I can't wait to run it at the track. This was my first Dak. I also got a Ram in November. It's my 3rd. It's mopar or no car for me. Hope you enjoy it!!

Check out http://www.moparchat.com/ http://www.dodgetalk.com/
    for other dak owners
    http://krcperformance.com/ http://manciniracing.com/
    are good places for performance parts.

------------------
    Who is he?
    He's an ******* sir.
    And his cousin?

[This message has been edited by NewBlackDak (edited 05-18-2002).]
    Asrock 939Dual-SATAII
    Lite-ON 1633S DVDRW
    Gentoo 2.6.14-nitro2

*sigh*

The legendary i440BX chipset

P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

Likely your P3 was still faster. Celerons SUCK. It looks like they crippled the P4 Celerons just as bad.

------------------
    AthlonXP 1600+ 1.65v 42'C
    FOP32-1 Mod w/80mm 30db
    Epox 8KHA+ KT266A
    256MB Crucial DDR266 cas2
    GeForce2 GTS (210/410)
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    Antec SX-630 Case (mod'd)
    TTGI TT-350-SS 370w PS
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Still no help on the reset problem with the IOQD setting? What I've found: set at 8 turns off hardware pre-fetch, and makes memory scores and 3dmark low. Set at 1 machine is VERY fast. Sandra memory says 854, 972. It will reboot however w/out any warning. Usually using an SSE app.

There is noone locally who sells conductive pens, so how can I try the connect AK4 to AK26 trick? What about the other pins for more voltage. Any help is much appreciated.
    On a side note. I'm still running at 1500 (125x12)@1.55vcore. Won't go any higher, and can't give it any more voltage w/out a mod. Temps at 37 & 43. Wired my Volcano 6cu+ fan to run at 7v, and it made no difference in the cooling capacity. Might if I'm feedin loads of volts, but I don't see that happening.
    I have tons of PC-100/133/150 lying around, and I'm gonna try to find a 256-512MB combo that works with the IOQD on. I'll report back soon.

------------------
    Who is he?
    He's an ******* sir.
    And his cousin?
    Asrock 939Dual-SATAII
    Lite-ON 1633S DVDRW
    Gentoo 2.6.14-nitro2

Originally posted by Todd a:
    Likely your P3 was still faster. Celerons SUCK. It looks like they crippled the P4 Celerons just as bad.

I am not sure if you know about this or not but the only difference between the PIII and new Cel-t(ualatins)'s is that the cel-t has prefetch and the PIII 100fsb chips did not. The cache is set at 1 on the cel-t and on the PIII it is 0 usually but I had a PIII tualatin that was set at 1 too. The cel-t has a faster IPC than the older PIII coppermine. Maybe you should do a little research before saying things like this. You did not specify which celeron you were talking about and since NBD is running a cel-t I assumed this is the one you were talking about. A 1GHz cel-t will smoke a 1GHz celermine. The celermine has 128k cache and a single cache bus plus no prefetch. The cel-t has everything the PIII coppermine has and a little more.

------------------

Off Topic Central

Originally posted by NewBlackDak:
    Still no help on the reset problem with the IOQD setting? What I've found: set at 8 turns off hardware pre-fetch, and makes memory scores and 3dmark low. Set at 1 machine is VERY fast. Sandra memory says 854, 972. It will reboot however w/out any warning. Usually using an SSE app.

There is noone locally who sells conductive pens, so how can I try the connect AK4 to AK26 trick? What about the other pins for more voltage. Any help is much appreciated.
    On a side note. I'm still running at 1500 (125x12)@1.55vcore. Won't go any higher, and can't give it any more voltage w/out a mod. Temps at 37 & 43. Wired my Volcano 6cu+ fan to run at 7v, and it made no difference in the cooling capacity. Might if I'm feedin loads of volts, but I don't see that happening.
    I have tons of PC-100/133/150 lying around, and I'm gonna try to find a 256-512MB combo that works with the IOQD on. I'll report back soon.

Many people connect AK4 to AJN I think instead of the ak4 to ak26. If you pulled the pins you will need conductive ink to do the mod.You need this for your chip to run right. Without ak4 getting its proper juice it will most likely run unstable.

You should check out OC.com and ask them boys this question. Many of them there have got it too work! I gave a link above to them.

------------------

Off Topic Central

Originally posted by ol' man:

Many people connect AK4 to AJN I think instead of the ak4 to ak26.
    AJN? Where is this pin?

Here's the skinny. No FSB over 125 is stable. No vcore over 1.65 is stable no matter what the speed is. There is absolutely NO heat problems. I CAN'T make it run over 42C. Idle depends on room temp, but lands from 32-37.

I have pulled the 3 necessary pins. Connected AM34, AL35, AK36, and AL37 all together to set the default voltage to 1.55.

I can't make it stable with the "IOQD" setting on. When you turn it off though the memory BM's look like crap, and you can definately tell a difference. From what I can tell, it turn the pre-fetch off too.

Where can I host some pics to link to?

------------------
    Who is he?
    He's an ******* sir.
    And his cousin?
    Asrock 939Dual-SATAII
    Lite-ON 1633S DVDRW
    Gentoo 2.6.14-nitro2

Hows it goin fella's?

kinda off topic.. but a few weeks ago i went and looked at an older Shelby Dakota that had a blown 318 in it... i was thinking about making a project out of it.. then i decided i was just going to get an intercooler for my Shelby Charger.. thats pretty much all thats left.. it has an upgraded Fuel and ignition system, racing computer, and is at around 25PSI from the turbo.. the problem is i go through axles faster then i go through Gas, i think i need to weld in Steel motor mounts..

sorry, kinda off topic.. but i never pass an oppertunity to talk about cars..

Zach

------------------
    Tbird 700, K7V, 75GXP, Leadtek Winfast Gforce OC'd
    Worlds Loudest Subwoofers.... Nasa technology..
    They sound Great (they also make studio equipment)

-= Digital Designs =-

Disclosure Project

The movement to end the coverup of advanced tech -see Scaler Waves

Thread Information