Want some smoke to go with that XP1800+?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Want some smoke to go with that XP1800+?

Want some smoke to go with that XP1800+?

It lives no more. I tried unlocking again and it worked for about 10 seconds then shut off, and I smelled something...and wept...

Anyway, I need a new cpu.

I have a MSI k7t266-pro2 mobo and some pretty crappy ram. What should my next cpu be?

The highest FSB the board supports is 164 and I'll be very very careful if I decide to unlock it. But of course I'm going to overclock it. And man do I want some bang (preferably for my buck)

Should I get a really cheap hold over cpu until the TBreds become available or even the hammers? Or should I just go balls to the wall right away? I'm on a budget though, so taking that into consideration would be really nice. Thanks everyone.

Say an ave there for me.

------------------
    Stupidity should be painful.
    Woohoo, 14th person to solve the 4D rubik's cube...ever! http://www.superliminal.com/cube/cube.htm

Watch me solve a regular cube in 24.2 seconds at www.rubiks.dk videolist, Daniel Hayes!

You've taken the risk and you're still want to do that!! If the CPU is still under warranty , get a new replacement or if you can wait, a TBreds would be just fine. AMD is going to cut the CPU prices by the middle of this month.

like I said, MAYBE I'll unlock it, but you know I can't stop ocing.

When are the price cut's gonna happen?

And what on earth is that smell coming from the chip? It's very odd...

------------------
    Woohoo, 14th person to solve the 4D rubik's cube...ever! http://www.superliminal.com/cube/cube.htm

Watch me solve a regular cube in 24.2 seconds at www.rubiks.dk videolist, Daniel Hayes!

How did your unlocking go bad?

I have a 1800xp and plan to unlock it this weekend.

Read the guide at TomsHardware, and I have the stuff to do. Just dont wanna kill my 2week old chip

Xp1800
    Soltek DRV5
    Corsair PC2700 cas2
    GF4 Ti4400
    Santa Cruz
    Barracuda IV
    Hollywood+
    Iiyama Pro450

Well, I tried when I first got it and it didn't work, so I gave up. Tonight I got the clockin bug back and thought I'd give it a try. problem was, every time I masked off the bridges I had done, the tape peeled up the connection. SO I tried just leaving the tape on after each one, and just masking the next one from there.

When I tried that, it kinda smelled like the tape was burning, then the screen went blank and hasn't lit up since. I cleaned up the contacts and everything, but still no go.

just take a bit of care, I did mine pretty fast, and the bridges were in bad shape as it was.

------------------

Here's the link for the AMD Upcoming Price Cut.

Click HERE

Unlucky, Swedishlf.

I decided to take the plunge and unlock my XP 1700+ yesterday. This isn't going to be any consolation to you, my friend, but it went very well. Much easier than I thought it would be. JFYI, I used this guide and actually bought a ridiculously tiny bottle of ridiculously expensive silver conductive paint.

Using masking tape made it much easier. I filled the pits with superglue, wiped of the excess and peeled off the masking tape. Then I cut down the super glue "ridge" that was left with a knife until it was flush with the CPU packaging. Using the "eye" end of a needle I applied 5 elongated blobs to join the bridges. Two of them I screwed up so I used the point of the needle to scrape off the connecting silver. Then since that was suprisingly easy I started scraping away until I had 5 perfectly formed rectangles joining the bridges. Don't ask me why...

Anyway, don't feel you have to unlock it unless you hit an FSB limit. FSB overclocking is the way to go if you can. Better luck next time... it really is worth doing and I'm sure you'll get it right if you do it again.

MuFu.

------------------
    XP1700@(11x152MHz)
    KG7R
    Krewtial 512MB
    SiS 6326 8MB (Mweheheh...)
    WynXP
    OTcentral?

[This message has been edited by Mutha Funker (edited 05-09-2002).]
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

I would overclock but dont want to go through all the hassle of crossing bridges and take risk of screwing up. Then take bigger risk of cpu frying ... Id rather have it not overclocked and running stable then have a time bomb ready to go off... Overclocking FSB is good enough for me

[This message has been edited by Bsr (edited 05-09-2002).]
    MSI k7t266 pro2
    1900xp
    Radeon 9000 pro 128mb
    1 wd 40gb, 1 20gb
    1gb pc2100
    cable modem

ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone
    Originally posted by Mutha Funker:
    Unlucky, Swedishlf.

Anyway, don't feel you have to unlock it unless you hit an FSB limit. FSB overclocking is the way to go if you can. Better luck next time... it really is worth doing and I'm sure you'll get it right if you do it again.

MuFu.

WHAT? I can remember the day when AMD'rs said the best thing about the tbird was the ability to unlock it. In fact many said that was why they went with AMD. I know know you all are a bunch of BS's.

------------------
    1.2Ghz cel-t @ 1.6GHz/1.65v

Off Topic Central

Yes, but "back in the day" ol' man, mobos and memory were much less likely to hit the kind of high FSB speeds that we are seeing now.

Unlocking a T-Bird or Duron was really beneficial. Unlocking an XP is usually not necessary. I've only done mine because I am capped at 155MHz FSB and watercooling and volt-modding is to come.

MuFu.

------------------
    XP1700@(11x152MHz)
    KG7R
    Krewtial 512MB
    SiS 6326 8MB (Mweheheh...)
    WynXP
    OTcentral?
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

"ol'man :...I know know you are all a bunch of BS's".

Here's a poster that has the guts to admit his error and defeat in losing a chip, civilised discussion ensues, except for ol' man's hateful comment. Sad he thinks his gloating anger at AMDers has any place on such a decent forum.

------------------
    xroyal

Originally posted by Swedishlf:
    like I said, MAYBE I'll unlock it, but you know I can't stop ocing.

When are the price cut's gonna happen?

And what on earth is that smell coming from the chip? It's very odd...

That was a shame, but it does happen.

Just be careful and you should be fine, make sure the heatsink is on good too.

------------------
    P4 1.8A @ 2.3GHz, 40C, Abit TH711, 512mb PC800 RDRAM, 60g WD, Lite-On 16x DVD, Gforce4 TI 4400, SB Live 5.1, 431w PS
    Dual P3 1000, 1g PC 133, 550w PS, Adaptec SCSI,18g,36g Cheetahs

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

Well I guess the one kinda good part about this is that it gave me a chance to pull out my mobo and volt mod it... I know, I'm crazy.

I won't know if it worked until I get a new chip though. And apearantly my junker that I was gonna build to hold me over is not going to be. I forgot, the mobo is a asus p3v4x (slot 1) and I don't have a slocket for my P3 500E. I gave the slocket to my parents a while back.

So I'm now officially in a hurry to get something in there. preferably by the end of the week, preferably for under $150. And I don't have a credit card to order off the net with. (terrible grammar)

So roll in the suggestions.

Also, anyone know where I can host some pictures for free so's I can show you my ugly volt mod?
    Edit:
    hell I forgot it's friday, make that the end of next week, so around next friday.

Edit 2:

and I got a look at the RAM, it's Kingston ValueRam Cl2.5 256MB PC2100... I didn't know it was cl2.5 maybe that's why it hasn't been performing like I thought it should.
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by Swedishlf (edited 05-10-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Swedishlf (edited 05-10-2002).]

Why is it that a thread gets the lock at first mention of warez (or even backing up your own software, no-cd patches, etc), but now a moderator is recommending that a person fraudulently attempt to return an item that was damaged by abuse?!

Aren't moderators supposed to be like the police, or clergy

My faith in the system is totally blown!

Thread Information