advice for a T-Bird 1200?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: advice for a T-Bird 1200?

advice for a T-Bird 1200?

Hey, I have a 1.2ghz athlon, and I'm wondering if anyone has any good tech web sites regarding... different things I can do with this. I have a cheap Gigabyte motherboard. What would be the best thing I can do with this?
    Also... is overclocking the motherboard bus speed the same as upping the voltage? or are they different things? Thanks.
    Is it possible to swap a motherboard/processor and still keep the current components I have on my computer, running fine?
    thanks

------------------
    AMD Athlon T-Bird 1.2GHz
    256 MB PC-133 SDRAM
    32MB TNT-2
    Creative Sound Blaster LIVE! Value
    Altec Lansing ACS-56
    Pioneer 16x DVD-ROM
    30.0GB WD Hard Drive
    --need better HSF--

"Hey, I have a 1.2ghz athlon, and I'm wondering if anyone has any good tech web sites regarding... different things I can do with this."

Right here.

"I have a cheap Gigabyte motherboard. What would be the best thing I can do with this?"

Tell us the model number and the experts here will advise you.

"Also... is overclocking the motherboard bus speed the same as upping the voltage? or are they different things? Thanks."

No. Two different methods to achieve overclocking. Increased bus speed to get overclocked and increased voltage to stabilize the CPU.

"Is it possible to swap a motherboard/processor and still keep the current components I have on my computer, running fine?"

Yes. But it is advised to do a complete 'fresh' install when changing the motherboard since there will be different components on the motherboard that will require different drivers. Doing a fresh install makes sure that all of the old drivers which exist on your system now are removed by the format/re-install.

Current Main Rig:
    AMD FX55 @ 2.9 GHz
    2 GB PC 3200 DDR RAM
    ABIT KN8 SLi motherboard
    ATI X1900XT O/C to XTX speeds

Retired Rig:
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton @ 2387 MHz. (217*11)
    512MB DDR RAM @ 436 MHz. (PC 3700)
    Abit AN7 motherboard
    BFG GeForce 6800GT OC!

Justintime Guest
    how long you had that 1200? if its like around when they first came out, tough luck, 1250Mhz even might be a long shot, the 1GHz+ cpus didna get serious overclocking potential until the AXIA core and later.

------------------
    Nick's page

BINK'S HWC MEMBER PHOTO GALLERY

OTC

Thread Information