Thread: Help, my Dual AMD 1900+ MP is hanging

Help, my Dual AMD 1900+ MP is hanging

Tyan Tiger MP S2460 Dual Motherboard
    Dual AMD 1900+ MP Cpu (retail), using their heat sink
    Dual Cheetah 10000RPM SCSI 3 Drives
    Tower Lian-LI Alum. Case PC-70
    6 cooling fans
    650 Enermax Power Supply.

The system hangs-up after 5 minutes from starting, I am using the retail Heat Sink /Fan, for warrenty purposes, the temp. is 51 and 53 for both CPU's ...

I am not sure why it is hanging up, when I remove one CPU it works fine, no help in Tyan site, and I have update the Bios to the latest editin...

Thanks
    Sam

fIxx3r is offline a weapon of ass destructi
    As far as i know.... Tyan Tiger is unstable and the BIOS uppdates sucks. A friend of mine bought this mobo and changed it to the new ASUS board fast as hell I cant help u mucj here, but if i may i will recomend you to check out the forum's at 2cpu.com (i think the spelling is right), a lot of the folx there use the same mobo as you and may be of help, but ONLY go there if we at hWC Forum's can't help

------------------
    \\On Error Resume Next
    \\ www.trance-sessions.tk <my homepage

l i q u i d s u n d e r g r o u n d . c o m
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    AMD Athlon 64 3200 @ 2,3 Ghz
    MSI K8N Neo Platinum
    Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro VIVO with 16 pipelines
    SB Audigy Platinum
    WD Raptor 74 GB SATA 10.000 rpm
    ++

I had that board since it first came out, never worked well at all for me. I just recently changed to a Asus A7M266D and for the few days that I have had it, it has not been shut off or rebooted once. It seems to be far and away better than the Tyan.

u using registered ram??

Originally posted by dfgsd:
    u using registered ram??
    Yes I am using ECC Regiestered Ram

Just out of curiosity, what brand of RAM are you using? An acquaintance who built a Tiger MPX recently was having some troubles with Kingston stuff. Also, how many sticks do you use, and what slots are you putting them in? These things shouldn't matter, but unfortunately they do - that's the trouble with buying into a chipset that isn't mature yet.

Tyan's boards seem a lot more sensitive to memory than other MP/MPX offerings. If I were you I'd head straight to www.2cpu.com 's forums and start searching the archives - it's the best SMP site on the 'net, and there's far greater resources available (both info and users) to help you.

------------------
    My systems here...

It also could be your power supply. With one CPU removed the power draw would be much less.

------------------
    AthlonXP 1600+ 1.65v 42'C
    FOP32-1 Mod w/80mm 30db
    Epox 8KHA+ KT266A
    256MB Crucial DDR266 cas2
    GeForce2 GTS (210/410)
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    Antec SX-630 Case (mod'd)
    TTGI TT-350-SS 370w PS
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

I was thinking that as well...

What powersupply are you using?

Originally posted by syo:
    650 Enermax Power Supply.
    Could be the problem...since Enermax's don't seem to put out very good 5v rails... but I thought that was MAINLY with Epox boards, not fully, but mainly.

------------------
    MSI K7T Turbo-R w/ 2.35v/4.05v mods
    Certified as "Turbo2-R" by me
    AthlonXP 1600+ @1700+ @ 1.55v
    256MB Corsair PC150 CL3 - hopefully MushkinREV3 soon
    Diamond TNT2 Viper V770 @ 160/220
    Intel Pentium 4 2.53B C1 @2.85GHz (stock volts), watercooled @ 27*C load
    MSI 865PE Neo2-P (i865PE + ICH5), 1GB PC3200 DDR RAM
    ATi Radeon X700Pro 256MB AGP8x
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160GB SATA, Maxtor DiamondMax 9 Plus 80GB
    NEC DVD-RW (ND-3520A), Lite-On 52/32/52x CD-RW (LTR-52327S)
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2

My Heatware | My Beerology | My eBay rating

u using registered ram??

huh, I didnt think that board would even boot w/ out registered ram...

------------------
    • T-Bird 1 Gig(Alpha pal 6035)
    • Asus A7v
    • GeForce annihilator 2 Gts Ultra(64 mb)
    • Kingston pc150(256MB)
    • X-Gamer (sound)
    • Plextor CDRW(12X10X32)
    • 16X dvd(KENWOOD)
    • 1.6a @ 2.5
    • Asus P4b 266-C
    • GeForce annihilator 2 Gts Ultra(64 mb)
    • Mushkin High Perf.(512)DDR
    • Plextor CDRW(12X10X32)

Yep Todd A ...... Power supply and a, what os you using??

Did you install the all the drivers in the correct fashion, did you attempt to get the latest bios, what video card you using, what other components are installed , what is the ram set at in the bios ,the list goes on and on...........

Since it dies shortly after boot-up, it is likely not a software or OS problem. Since it does not die under load, it is likely not hard drive or memory. Since it happens regularly and shortly after boot up and the temps are well within range (if the monitoring programs are working correctly), It is likely a PS issue.

I have heard that Enermax used to have lots of issues with some Athlons systems (ever sinse introduced). Enermax had a hard problem getting on the AMD recommended list. I have also heard Tom's Hardware say they had problems with theirs and it likely had something to do with the very long power leads. Enermax makes some good power supplies and most people do not run into issues with them, but I would not trust them in a Dual CPU server application like this.

You might have better luck with a differant board though. The ASUS board has gotten a lot of good reveiws.

You might also unplug all non-essential componants and see if the problem goes away. Drop in a singe IDE drive, unplug all case fans (leave the case open), all extra drives, all extra cards... and see if the problem dissapears. If everything goes good, then start adding things in one at a time. Kind of a pain, but sometimes this is what it takes.

I have also noticed that some power supplies are specifically rated for that motherboard. I think it has some very finicky power requirements. Does that board use an extra power connector besides the 24 pin ATX connector?

Check out this power supply:

https://id249.securedata.net/pchertz/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=16550

I found several power supplies specifically designed for Dual Athlon systems. This is what most of them say:

"Compatible w/ AMD MP Palomino Processors, Tyan S2462NG , S2462UNG Motherboard"

I think this is likely the problem. Return the Enermax and get a good server power supply designed for your system.

------------------
    FOP32-1 Mod w/80mm 30db
    Epox 8KHA+ KT266A
    GeForce2 GTS (210/410)
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    TTGI TT-350-SS 370w PS
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Sorry about the link not working. Just cut and paste. I remembered when the dual Athlon boards first came out they used a special 460w (or something like that) power supply. I went to www.pricewatch.com and looked under Case Powe Supplies and found a listing for 460w. Under the second page I found several power supplies that sound like what you are looking for for around $100-120.

------------------
    FOP32-1 Mod w/80mm 30db
    Epox 8KHA+ KT266A
    GeForce2 GTS (210/410)
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    TTGI TT-350-SS 370w PS

i don't believe the tiger mp requires that special supply i thought just the thunder did. also i believe that some have gotten the tiger mp to run with unregistered ram in the first 2 dimms but usually it casues problems.

what brand is the ram?how many sticks u have?

have u tried both cpus by themselves or just one?

the power supply thing could be possible too...but i believe the issue was mostly with epox boards...

i guess it boots to the os before locks?....what os u have?....

Well-a what would happen if he was using XP-HOME ????

Thread Information