Do I need to unlock the multiplier
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Do I need to unlock the multiplier

Do I need to unlock the multiplier

All,

I have an Athalon 950MHZ on its way to my house along with and EPOX 8K3A+ mobo with PC2700 memory.

Now I may have the specifics wrong and if so correct me but here is my thought.

The Athalon 950 runs at a native 100 MHZ FSB. My system, beside the cpu, should be able to run at 166+fsb. Since my processor is going to max out much earlier than my mobo, is there any reason to unlock the processor?

[This message has been edited by hitobahadur (edited 04-06-2002).]

Justintime Guest
    unlock it, and run it at the highest bus speed possible, if you don't overclock then
    166x5.5 for 916 is ok, if you want a GHz then 166x6 will do,make it 167Mhz fsb just to truly break a GHz

------------------
    Nick's page

BINK'S HWC MEMBER PHOTO GALLERY

In other words, unlock it so I can get my FSB as high as possbile (specifically to increase memory bandwidth) not because the bus will be limiting my processor o'clock.

I think I will initially see how high I can get the bus speed without unlocking. Then I need to go out and get a silver pen, unlock and get the optimal set-up.

Sound right?

BTW anyone know a good sight for unlocking multiplier? I have only seen Tomshardware version and it wasn't detailed enough for me.

[This message has been edited by hitobahadur (edited 04-06-2002).]

All you need to do is connect the L1 bridges with a pencil...I've never had a problem with the pencil not holding the charge. Just go back and forth a lot to get a lot of graphite on there. www.overclockers.com might have a better article than tom's...although I think I used tom's. Anyway yes...you want a high fsb and a low multi. Try getting your fsb as high as possible Anyway...good luck and happy clocking!

------------------
    AXIA T-Bird 1ghz @ 1425mhz w/ Alpha 8045
    Iwill KK266-R
    384mb Crucial pc133 @ 150mhz cas2
    Radeon 8500 (290/290)
    2x 20gig 60GXP Raid0
    Antec 1040 series w/ 431watt Enermax whisper
    2500+ Barton @ 2.2ghz (200x11)
    Abit NF7-S rev2.0
    Alpha 8045
    Radeon 9800 Pro
    2x 512mb Corsair XMS pc3200
    2x 120gb WD-SE HDDs
    Enermax 431w Whipser
    Lian Li pc61-usb

yeah a pencil will do fine, just make sure you get a good layer over them

------------------
    Duron 900 @ 1100
    1.75v (8x133)
    Abit Kt7a
    192 mb ram
    ATI Radeon 32mb ddr
    win2k sp2

I haven't been able to find a pencil. Any good ideas on where to get one?

Just to verify... What I got from ANAMDTECH was that you just have to connect the 4 Golden Bridges at the L.

[This message has been edited by hitobahadur (edited 04-07-2002).]

You know. A pencil. Those funny yellow cilinders about 6" long with rubber apperatous at one end for deleting data, and another end with a point. It is filled with an odd meterial called graphite, that is black in collor and usually used for making marks on surfaces such as partchment.

Yes a standard No2 pencil will do the trick. Graphite is slightly conductive and that is all that is needed to reconnect the bridges on the CPU. The XP versions are locked a bit better. They burned a larger hole that leads to a grounding material. If you do not fill in the hole with a non-conductive material befor reconnecting the bridges, it will ground out and lock it to 11x (if I recall right). They also require a matterial slightly less resistant that graphite, but a few have been able to get graphite to work.

I did the pencil trick a long time ago on my Duron 600 and upped my multiplier to 8x and my bus speed to 112Mhz for 896Mhz. Your 950 likely has aluminum interconnectors and will only overclock to about 1.0-1.1Ghz, but your system and memory will likely run fine at 166MHz bus. You likely should be able to run 6x with no trouble and 6.5 to 7.0 is a good possibility.

------------------
    AthlonXP 1600+ 1.65v 42'C
    FOP32-1 Mod w/80mm 30db
    Epox 8KHA+ KT266A
    256MB Crucial DDR266 cas2
    GeForce2 GTS (210/410)
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    Antec SX-630 Case (mod'd)
    TTGI TT-350-SS 370w PS
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thanks Todd a.

I thought the conductivity needed to be much higher than that. I will get a good old mechanical pencil out and try it.

Thanks for the advice on the multipliers also.

I did like the article over at overclockers.com that suggested using a repair kit from a Rear window defroster though. If I have trouble with the pencil I will use that method.

When and if they make the .13 Athalon XP's I'll have to get more tricky.

Thread Information