Best paint to use on case?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Best paint to use on case?

Best paint to use on case?

I would like to paint my case black. What brand and type of paint would you recommend?

walk_on

I'd get automotive grade paint. Either go to an auto body supply shop, or get touch-up spray cans from Pep Boys or something...

If you handle your case a lot... try powder-coating. It's almost scratch-proof.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I had read that automotive paint was the best to use.

What is powder coating? Is that like a clear coat that goes on as a final step?

------------------
    ASUS CUSL2-C
    1 GHz P3 @ 1.2 GHz
    256 MB PC150 RAM
    40GB Maxtor 7200rpm
    20GB Maxtor 7200rpm
    Gainward Geforce 3
    Creative Audigy
    Plextor 12x10x32x CDRW
    Lite On 163 DVD
    Elan Vital T-10AB case
    ASUS CUSL2-C
    1 GHz P3 @ 1.2 GHz
    256 MB PC150 RAM
    40GB Maxtor 7200rpm
    20GB Maxtor 7200rpm
    Gainward Geforce 3
    Creative Audigy
    Lite-on 40x12x48x CDRW
    Lite On 163 DVD
    Elan Vital T-10AB case

When powdercoating is applied it basically makes a really tough layer over the metal. They can powdercoat in various colors, and even can do airbrush designs under it with special paint designed for it. I can't remember how it is actually done but I believe the powder mix is sprayed on and I know heat is envolved... You'll know if something is powdercoated if you see it...it has a gritty texture and a VERY tough exterior.

------------------
    AXIA T-Bird 1ghz @ 1425mhz w/ Alpha 8045
    Iwill KK266-R
    384mb Crucial pc133 @ 150mhz cas2
    Radeon 8500 (290/290)
    2x 20gig 60GXP Raid0
    Antec 1040 series w/ 431watt Enermax whisper
    2500+ Barton @ 2.2ghz (200x11)
    Abit NF7-S rev2.0
    Alpha 8045
    Radeon 9800 Pro
    2x 512mb Corsair XMS pc3200
    2x 120gb WD-SE HDDs
    Enermax 431w Whipser
    Lian Li pc61-usb

Poweder coating is not something you can get at the local hardware store. You need to go somewhere that powder coats appliences or office furnature (like filing cabnets). I think it uses a special sprayer and electrically charges the paint. The object being painted is grounded with a wire. This amkes the paint draw to the object. I think it also is best used if cured with heat. The paint drying booths at work run about 120-140'F. A couple hours in there and your good to go.

I'd just use automotive paint. Much easier to use and much cheaper. Just make sure you clean everything with a light degreaser and sand everything with a fine grit sand paper. Go over it with a tach cloth. Apply 2-3 thin coats with about 30 minutes drying time between coats. Let it cure overnight befor handling. I've also heard it is best to stay away from gloss coats as they show all the defects and fingerprints.

------------------
    AthlonXP 1600+ 1.65v 42'C
    FOP32-1 Mod w/80mm 30db
    Epox 8KHA+ KT266A
    256MB Crucial DDR266 cas2
    GeForce2 GTS (210/410)
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    Antec SX-630 Case (mod'd)
    TTGI TT-350-SS 370w PS
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thanks for the help. I just searched some of the major paint makers, and am now confused again.

Do I want enamel, lacquer, etc.?

The advice about the glossy finish makes sense. So would I want a "flat" black, or a "satin" black?

Will I need to put a primer coat on?

Thanks for all the help!

Get some satin or semi-gloss enamel. You can primer it, but I just give it a quick scuff with a fine 3M pad and wipe it down with degreaser. The object is to have a clean non-glossy surface.

When I get home I'll send you a really cool link from a moding site on how to make it into a mirror finish if you wish. I'm at school right now though. Anyway if you just want to paint it...us a satin finish. Flat is to bland and gloss really will show the imperfections if you don't take a lot of care when painting (this would inlcude sanding everything to make it as flat as possible and priming correctly).

And yes Todd is correct...powdercoating isn't something you can do at home (or would want to). You can find places that do those types of industrial finishes in your phone book yellow pages. Anyway it does look pretty cool. It's more expensive than painting but cheaper than anodizing (and that would only be for an al case anyway). I would just use a good auto paint or something like rustolium (sp?) or krylon... Actually if you had a spray gun avaliable I would say "house of kolor" makes the best metal paints I have ever used...

------------------
    AXIA T-Bird 1ghz @ 1425mhz w/ Alpha 8045
    Iwill KK266-R
    384mb Crucial pc133 @ 150mhz cas2
    Radeon 8500 (290/290)
    2x 20gig 60GXP Raid0
    Antec 1040 series w/ 431watt Enermax whisper
    2500+ Barton @ 2.2ghz (200x11)
    Abit NF7-S rev2.0
    Alpha 8045
    Radeon 9800 Pro
    2x 512mb Corsair XMS pc3200
    2x 120gb WD-SE HDDs
    Enermax 431w Whipser
    Lian Li pc61-usb

You know, I've seen some damn long descriptions of where people live, and I was just wondering how freakin' long of a location they actually allow you to write in here. Looks like it's quite a bit. Oh well, if the space is here I'll use it!!! :)
    there are home powder coating kits that can be cured in a typical kitchen oven. never tried it, you probably don't want to either. I doubt it's an easy thing to do.

------------------
    Only 30,000 to 40,000 genes in an Einstein, a Michael Jordan, or a Bach? Boy, can that God guy write tight code or what? - David Rudloff
    Off Topic Central - Owned and Operated by HWC members

IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.

Originally posted by Wuzup101:
    When I get home I'll send you a really cool link from a moding site on how to make it into a mirror finish if you wish. I'm at school right now though. Anyway if you just want to paint it...us a satin finish.
    Hey Wuzup101, could you send that link? I would appreciate it!

Try Polomyx if possible. It is a liquid vinyl paint, owned by Zolatone, a multicolor paint. http://www.zolatoneaim.com/index1.html
    I have never seen any do this to their case but it would look better than any other case and have some added soundproofing to it.

------------------
    Technology increases at a parabolic curve upward.
    Technology increases at a parabolic curve upward.

Thread Information