open cases
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: open cases

open cases

i am really sick of having my case open because over heating issues.. what should i do to prevent this problem, i want to close the damn thing.. it overheats when not even overclockin i think, i have a amd 1.4ghz, and the temps are 42-43 open case probably goes up to 50 if i close i think

------------------
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

Hey man!

I dont think 42-45 is a problem, AMD's do tend to get hotter but I think 42 is fine.
    I dont know... I just dont.

Do you have intake and exhaust fans in your case? There are usually retention mechanisms for fans in the lower front part of the case and upeer backside as well.

You see where the white grills are? Those are fan retention mechanisms. Also, as TaNG mentioned, 42 - 43C isn't bad for the type of processor you have.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Heck, mine runs at 50 now it was in the high 60s before I upgraded my case.

Is it stable at 50C with the case on?

------------------
    AMD Athlon XP 1800+
    ASUS A7V266-E
    256MB DDR-RAM
    Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu
    Visiontek GeForce 3 Ti500
    Soundblaster Live!
    LIAN-LI PC60
    19" Monitor
    Netgear 10/100 NIC
    Windows XP Pro

[This message has been edited by Jules_in_SD (edited 03-16-2002).]
    Athlon XP 2800+ Barton
    Gigabyte GA-7N400Pro A nF2 Ultra400
    1 GB Corsair XMS Extreme PC3200
    Coolermaster Aero 7+
    ATI Radeon 9800 128MB Non-Pro
    LIAN-LI PC60

P4 2.4GHz
    Asus P4PE
    512MB Mushkin DDR-333
    ATI Radeon 8500AIW
    LIAN-LI PC-52B

Windows XP Pro

i think it would be stable if i had a different video card.. the heat created by the cpu goes to the heat sink and some of it seems to be transfered to the video card.. and the video card doesn't have any cooling and it will just crash if it gets too hot...

i do have exhaust and intake fans.. they aren't the greatest tho .. i need to replace my powersupply cause i don't think it can handle the fan load no more.. i can't even run cdrw and cd at the same time anymore heh

------------------

That is lijely your stability problems. Power supplies do not work as good when they get hot. Chances are it is overheating too and shutting your system down. I'd upgrade that first. Then I cut out the fan grills on your case and enlarge any opennings you can so the fans can breath better. Clean out the dust. Route all cables out of the airflow. Add a blowhole in the side (ot top or bottom if desired) to increase cooling. Add chrome wire fan guards if grills are needed (much less air resistance).

------------------
    AthlonXP 1600+ 1.65v 42'C
    FOP32-1 Mod w/80mm 30db
    Epox 8KHA+ KT266A
    256MB Crucial DDR266 cas2
    GeForce2 GTS (210/410)
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    Antec SX-630 Case (mod'd)
    TTGI TT-350-SS 370w PS
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thread Information