Another one bites the dust.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Another one bites the dust.

Another one bites the dust.

Damn those IBM drives.....just as i thought that i had completed my system for a while another damn part breaks.....it was a 45gig 7200 75gxp drive..at least it made it a year.
    too bad i have another...i fear it probaly doesn't have much longer either. the guy at ibm said that it was acctualy a windows xp shutdown problem causing a drive corruption...but somehow i doubt it, i mentioned the law suit and all and he was not allowed to comment on it....oh well at least they will let me rma it.

has anyone sent in a similar drive? and what did they get back? I am hoping all the 60 and 75 are out so they have to ship me a 120gxp 60gig.

oh and can someone provide me the link to the class action lawsuit??

here are the specs on my comp
    1600 athlon xp
    soyo dragon
    geforce 2 pro
    2 45gig ibm 75gxp---down to one now
    1 80 gig western digital 7200
    1 fujitsu man 18 gig 10k scsi drive
    adaptec 29160lp ultra 160 controller
    52xcdrom
    16x10x40 cdrw
    10x pioneer slot loading dvdrom
    tv tuner capture card
    sigma designs dvd decoder

hey did yours make any sounds before it died? Like months before it happened? Mine makes a scuh scuh scuh sound and im just waiting for it to die. Maybe if I up the pci bus enough it will

------------------
    Athy 700@800 1.65v
    Abit KA7
    128meg PC133 7.5ns can do 160@CAS3
    Asus V7700 Pure 32meg (215+?/366+?)
    IBM 75GXP 45gb
    WD 10.2GB 7200rpm ATA66
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    Toshiba SD-M1402 (12x dvd/40x cd)
    Plextor 8/4/32 CD-RW
    3COM 56k hardware modem (just incase)
    SMC 10mpbs ISA NIC (for DSL)
    Intel P4C 3.0Ghz
    Asus P4P800-E Deluxe
    2x256mb Corsair Value Select PC3200
    eVGA e-GeForce 6800
    WD 120gb SE
    IBM 60GXP 60gb
    Creative Labs Audigy (free)
    Toshiba SD-M1402 (12x dvd/40x cd)
    Lite-On 52x24x52 ($15 retail )
    Pioneer A06 DVD+/-RW
    ThermalTake Silent Purepower 420W PSU

it mades sounds about 1 day ago so i ran the ibm drive fitness test...it found bad sectors...i could still access some stuff off the drive though....

the tech guy said that i should format it using thier utility then disable write caching.....he said this would solve the problem...but i doubt it...plus write caching makes a big performance diffference...

although last time i tried my bios won't even find the drive, so i guess i can't do this even if i wanted to

I RMA'ed my old 75GXP 4 times, finally gave up and bought a 60GXP in the end. It did make the SCUH SCUH SCUH noise and it was a really hair raising noise.
    I dont know... I just dont.

what os where u using?

A friend of mine has RMA'd his second IBM 60GXP now, and he isn't into overclocking or anything like that. He asked about a new drive when he RMA'd it, but they said he would only get a repaired drive, which he isn't happy about.

I was lucky when I RMA'd my 75GXP. I went through the company that I bought it from and they tested it and shipped me a new 60GXP instead, as they didn't have any 75GXPs anymore. I also got a 40gig drive too, 10gigs bigger than the 75GXP I sent back.

------------------
    Gin - The driver's choice

I have a 75GXP and a 60GXP. I did get the *scuh scuh scuh* of death once with the 75 but it's still going strong and performs very well. It seems the 30GB versions aren't as affected as the larger capacity drives. The 60GXP (60GB) has been great, just wish I'd held out a little longer for the 120GXP, I miss my high FSB!!!

MuFu.

P.S. Just installed a Maxtor D740X on a mate's PC. Very impressive, still wouldn't take it over an IBM though.

------------------
    More # please...

Bink's HWC GALLERY
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

did u rma that drive mutha funka? or does it just make the noise and u keep using it?

mine can still access some files but hangs on others and drive fitness test determined it was bad.

personally i don't think i will buy an ibm again. i mean basically the guy told me i shouldn't rma the drive and instead disable write caching....why the hell would i castrate the performance of a drive i bought for performacne? that is not an option.

if i want to rma a drive i want advance shipping...ibm doesn't offer this anymore, but maxtor, wd , and fujitsu do, hell fujitsu even pays for u to ship the bad drive back to them.

i think the only good that could come of this is the fact that ibm might be out of 75 so they might have to send me a 60 or 120 which are only avaliable in 60gig or 80gig drives. in fact i might see if i can rma both my ibm 45gig 75gxps back together and get a little upgrade on both

Justintime Guest
    after countless GXP 75 deaths in machines i sold i pulled all back and replaced em with WD's. I personally had an RMA on a GXP 75 drive 4 times, and got fed up the last time and totally hammered the drive to bits.

------------------
    Jr

BINK'S HWC MEMBER PHOTO GALLERY

one question on this topic......do u get a new warranty when u get a replace ment drive or does the 3 years just contiune from when u originaly got it?

Originally posted by dfgsd:
    did u rma that drive mutha funka? or does it just make the noise and u keep using it?
    Nope, I only heard the noise once, bizarre as it may seem. Maybe it's happened when I haven't been around too, I dunno. I've run several HDD diagnostic packages (including the IBM Fitness Test) and they've shown drive "health" as being 100%. I've never had any bad sectors or lapses in performance so I guess it was just a one-off, freak occurance. I haven't heard of many 30GB models having problems so I'm not overtly worried.

the guy at ibm said that it was acctualy a windows xp shutdown problem causing a drive corruption...but somehow i doubt it
    dfgsd, there IS an XP shutdown problem that causes registry corruption and renders systems unbootable. It causes the computer to power off before the final write to the registry has been executed. There's no real fix at the moment... Micro$$$haft seem to have swept it under the carpet. Best idea is to back up the registry as often as possible so it can be manually restored in the recovery console.

MuFu.

------------------
    More # please...

Bink's HWC GALLERY

[This message has been edited by Mutha Funker (edited 02-25-2002).]
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

yea i bet your drive was recalibrating...i can believe that the guy suggested it might be...but i don't think it is on mine....you access the drive once and it never stops.

i could believe the registry thing...but considering i didn't boot off that drive i don't know. i would think that the main boot drive would be the one affected most....

[This message has been edited by dfgsd (edited 02-25-2002).]

Yeah, it is. The auxiliary drives should be unaffected. Your problem sounds typical of 75GXP failure I'm afraid.

MuFu.

------------------
    More # please...

Bink's HWC GALLERY

[This message has been edited by Mutha Funker (edited 02-25-2002).]

Actually, there is no 120 GXP 60 GB. Only 40, 80 and 120 (40G platters remember)

I have a 120 GXP 80 Gig, and it worked all the way up to 222 FSB on my KR7A...

------------------
    KR7A-R, AXP 1600 @ 2008 MHz (167x12, 2.20V),256 MB Kingmax PC2700. Vapochill. Admin @ Born2OC.be
    Abit TH7-II, 1.6A @ 2.89, Samsung RDR, Gainward Ti4600. Much more to come soon

Thread Information