Strange Cooling Question
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Strange Cooling Question

Strange Cooling Question

Okay, here is the situation. I've got a 1.4 AMD Thunderbird that has been running great. Not the greatest performer in the world but still nice. The only problem is that in my (closet sized) dorm room the only place where I can put my case is infront of a nice big sliding glass door. This was no problem during the winter, but as the sun has begun to creep out of the clouds, I've begun to notice my temperature sky-rocketing. When I was running it at home the CPU temp maxed out at less than 50 C. Now at noon on a sunny day it peaks out at 60 C! (As reported by MBM 5.1 and only for a few minutes)

Does anyone have any ideas about how to rectify this? Should I get a new Heatsink? (right now I'm using the cheap CoolMaster that came with the system) Or does anyone have any other ideas about how to shield the system.

Thanks.

ECS K7S5A
    Athlon 1.4 Ghz
    256mb Crucial DDR
    VisonTek GeForce3 Ti 200 @ 200/450
    SoundBlaster Live! MP3+
    Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

How hot is it getting inside the case? If it gets too warm a bigger heatsink on the CPU won't buy you much. You may just need to temperature control your dorm better or if that's not possible, block the case from direct sun exposure. Also, adding additional fans to you case would probably help.

[This message has been edited by Gyroman (edited 02-18-2002).]

My case temp is usually around 32 C. I should note that I already have a 3,000 RPM fan mounted in the front grill. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten up the nerve to mod the front of the case so it is still drawing air in through the stock, very small, intakes. I'm just using the powersupply fan for exhaust.

ECS K7S5A
    Athlon 1.4 Ghz
    256mb Crucial DDR
    SoundBlaster Live! MP3+
    Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

I would replace the cooler master and add a rear exhaust fan.

------------------
    If you lived here, you'd be home by now...
    If you lived here, you'd be home by now...

Justintime Guest
    replace the coolermaster, especially the older model ones. also, its never good to have the case in direct contact with sunlight. Though in my opinion, 55-60 is acceptable if not overclocking but not desired

------------------
    Jr

BINK'S HWC MEMBER PHOTO GALLERY

Change the heatsink, add a case fan for exhaust as stated above, and tape a big piece of cardboard over the glass to stop the sunlight from hitting the case. Or, plain black construction paper will work good. The base would be a white piece of paper with a black piece of paper behind it. The white side should face the sun since white tends to reflect heat and black tends to absorb some.......

------------------
    TBird 1.2@1.3
    256mb Crucial@CAS2
    Antec SX1030B
    Vantec 6035w/Delta
    Abit KT7-R
    15GB Maxtor Diamondmax+
    (2)Diamondmax+ 7200rpm 30GB RAID Level0
    Prophet 2 MX 200/200
    HP9110i + Creative 52x
    Main DVD MM Rig:
    CoolerMaster Storm Scout
    AM3 Phenom II x4 955BE @ 3.6 ghz
    Corsair H50 Watercooling kit
    4.0 GB AData DDR3
    GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P Mainboard
    Western Digital 750GB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    Samsung 750GB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    Western Digital 1.0TB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    LG 20x DVDRW-DL "SuperDrive"
    PNY GeForce 9800gt 1024mb w/Samsung 245BW 24" LCD
    Corsair 620w Modular Power Supply
    Logitech z-640 5.1's
    Logitech Wireless Mouse
    Win 7 Ultimate........

Yes better case cvooling would help. You could also slap a peice of card board in the window to block the sun. You might even add a layer of aluminum foil to the sun side of it. This should help a little.

------------------
    AthlonXP 1600+ 1.65v 42'C
    FOP32-1 Mod w/80mm 30db
    Epox 8KHA+ KT266A
    256MB Crucial DDR266 cas2
    GeForce2 GTS (210/410)
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    Antec SX-630 Case (mod'd)
    TTGI TT-350-SS 370w PS
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Wow! I never expected to have so many responses in such a short period of time! I'll have to post question here more often. Thanks everyone.

Anyway, I've heard a lot of good ideas about how to fix my heat problem. One that seems to be a common thread is a new exhaust fan. Concerning exhaust fans, I was wondering what the general opinion of slot-based exhauste fans as opposed to other options. I've heard that some are of primary use for cooling specific cards, but do some serve to reduce general case temps?
    ECS K7S5A
    Athlon 1.4 Ghz
    256mb Crucial DDR
    SoundBlaster Live! MP3+
    Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

or... go to ace hardware pick up some dryer hose vent...very cheap...bolt your existing intake fan you have now in the back by your cpu..under your psu...run the hose vent over your heatsink and fan...make sure your fan is sucking not blowing...flip it if need be..so you have 2 fans sucking air away form your heatsink..you'll have to make sure the dryer vent hose only covers half your heatsink...so it can suck air..route the other end if the dryer hose to your now exaust fan...this should serve you well with very little money spent... gl and post what you do in the end

------------------
    9inch penis @ 5inches
    supercool
    9inch penis @ 5inches
    supercooled

Just curious as to where you are located Prom 118. Winter is still on here for another month or 2.

------------------
    Duron 900@1100
    512mb PC133 RAM Micron
    Geforce 2 Ti 275/425
    40Gb Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 7200rpm
    `\O/
    /////////////////////
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    _/ \_
    CPU: Athlon X2 7850 Blackbox edition o/c'd to 3400mhz
    Motherboard: Asus M2N68-AM SE2
    Memory: 4gb Kingston KVR RAM
    Video: BFG Geforce gtx 260 oc v2
    Hard Drives: 1TB Barracuda 7200.12, 500GB WD, 320GB WD, 320GB WD 250GB WD, 250GB Seagate
    Case: APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel case
    Power Supply: OCZ 700W StealthXStream Power Supply
    Optical: 22x LG DVD R/W

Oregon. I suppose it technically is still winter here. But we got a week or so of sun and I diagnosed the problem then. Luckily the sun is less prevalent now, so I have a bit of time to work at it before it becomes a day-to-day event.
    ECS K7S5A
    Athlon 1.4 Ghz
    256mb Crucial DDR
    SoundBlaster Live! MP3+
    Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Thread Information