Guys I need Help.......
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Guys I need Help.......

Guys I need Help.......

Ok,
    Here is my situation. I own a Dell XPS T500 (P3500) with 256mb PC100, diamond viper 32mb, turtle beach montego sound, cd burner, etc..
    To make a long story short, the computer is getting slow and its time to upgrade. But what is the best thing to do? I found out if I want to use my Dell Case I need a new power supply and re-wire the power switches. What a pain... I am thinking about buying a new case, mobo and cpu, with a DVD drive along with others. BTW I am thinking AMD 1.4 T0bird or Atlon XP. Is it better to just sell my old Dell as is with a year left on the warranty or is it better to rip it apart and re-use my sound, video cards, and CDRW? What is my machine worth? Suggestions?
    I am thinking about going with one of these mobo's
    ASUS A7V266-E
    ABIT KR7ARAID
    SHUTTLE AK35GTR
    SOYO DRAGON PLUS
    OR SOLTEK SL-75DRV4

What to do? Thanks in advance!

I would sell it as is. Use the money toward a complete new custom build.

------------------
    If you lived here, you'd be home by now...

[This message has been edited by Maxout (edited 02-16-2002).]
    If you lived here, you'd be home by now...

What do you think my system is worth? Also, what are everyone's recommendations for a good budget PC build up. This is my current thought.
    Shuttle AK35GTR with AMD 1700+, 512mb DDR, 16X DVD drive, CDRW, Video card and sound card. This leads to ask, what are everyone's thought's on sound and video cards. On the shuttle there is a built in sound card. How are these? Also, what video do you recommend w/video out

[This message has been edited by VTECAcuraGSR (edited 02-16-2002).]

I'd also sell and make my own

------------------
    Next time you wave, use all your fingers.

CALV

This sig In memory of my kid sister, Mandy. Died 14-8-02 aged 30.
    Murdered for nothing at all by Louise Berry

CALV

What's it worth?

Or, depending on the value of the original pc, and you financial state, maybe just keep it AND make another.

------------------
    Next time you wave, use all your fingers.

CALV

This sig In memory of my kid sister, Mandy. Died 14-8-02 aged 30.
    Murdered for nothing at all by Louise Berry

CALV

Your Dell is worth $330 w/o monitor - $455 w/17" monitor.

judging by a search of completed auctions at ebay.

It still has a warranty? even better.

Sell it. Or keep it for a spare and install Redhat on it

[This message has been edited by TNproud2b (edited 02-17-2002).]
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

I don't like parting with my systems. I upgrade in steps and after about 2 years have enough leftovers to build a new system. I have 3 computers now (I did sell my first two systems, but almost wish I had kept the second one) and a stack of spair parts. I shortly will have a video, power supply, floppy, CDROM, 14" monitor, and sound card. If I really wanted to, I also have a 386, 4MB memory, and a 250MB and 120MB hard drive. I wonder if that would be enough to make a Linux box for surfing the net.

You might think about gettting a slotket and Celeron 1.0-1.2Ghz and a GeForce2 MX (If you have an AGP slot, then get either a GeForce2 GTS-V, GeForce3 Ti200, or GeForce4 Ti4200 and overclock). I'm not too sure how well your dell would take a slotket, but if it did, you could drastically increase the speed of you system with a new CPU and graphics card for pretty cheap. Of coarse you would be putting money into a dead horse, but the system can last you a few years more and you could just sell it then.

------------------
    AthlonXP 1600+ @1.5Ghz
    FOP32-1 Mod w/80mm (30db)
    Epox 8KHA+ KT266A
    256MB Crucial DDR266
    GeForce2 GTS (210/410)
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    Antec SX-630 Case (mod'd)
    TTGI TT-350-SS 370w PS
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Another vote for Keep it.

You wouldn't sell your Vtec would you?

Your right about VTEC! It will never be sold! Anyways back on topic, you think it would be better to upgrade. It will cost me a minimum of $600 bucks to upgrade to a new sytem, where I could spend another 200 bucks on mine and get a 1.2G with a new video card and maybe up my ram to 512mb. With my computer I do a lot of school work with word, powerpoint, etc.... I also do a lot of downloading and multitasking. i usually run into the most problems when I multitask. My other problem may be windows 98. How much of a difference would I see in sytem stability if I went to win 2k? Check this out and tell me what you think.... http://www.powerleap.com/Products/iP3T.htm

Get WindowsXP. It uses the NT curnal and has similar stability characteristics and better drivers. The amount of memory you have is fine. I'm sumprised your system does not run better since you do not run anything too heavy on it. For downloads a good Cable Modem or DSL is all you need. Even your system should handle it just fine (my mom's runs fine on a cable modem on the K6-2 350 I built for her years ago).

I'm not sure if raid would help or not. A faster bus speed and memory would likely help you the most. I have trouble telling the differance between my Duron 600@900Mhz with SDRAM (at 112Mhz bus and 149Mhz memory cas2) and my AthlonXP 1600+ with DDR (cas2). I ran them right next to each other and switched back and forth. I only noticed a differance in 3D games (Voodoo3 vs GeForce2 GTS). They both has 5400RPM ATA66 drives, so maybe that is what holds them back.

I'm just wondering if you might be spending a lot of money to get little perfromance differance for the apps you run.

You might just try a few mantanance things. Have you scandisked and defragged your hard drive resently? This can make a bit of a differance. Do you have a lot of useless apps loading at start-up? Do you have lots of icons down by your clock? Can you get into BIOS and tweek your memory a bit? Most places like Dell set the memory timings very conservatively. You can get a 10% boost right there. Delete all the useless just from your hard drive and registry. Try these things first. You could easily double the perfromance if your system is pretty messed up.

Now if you are just looking at upgrading... hard drive getting slow, want to run some 3D games, want better sound... and you do't mind spending the money, then upgrade away!

------------------
    AthlonXP 1600+ @1.5Ghz
    FOP32-1 Mod w/80mm (30db)
    Epox 8KHA+ KT266A
    256MB Crucial DDR266
    GeForce2 GTS (210/410)
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    Antec SX-630 Case (mod'd)
    TTGI TT-350-SS 370w PS
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

I am using win 98 and have done the defrag, scandisk, etc. I cleaned my harddrive and actually installed another HD to store my data. So I have over 5gigs free for windows. Dell locks all of the bios and I havent been able to overclock or up the memory, etc. Anybody know how to do this? Keep the suggestions. Oh and BTW I am on a LAN w/ a T1 line. Thanks!

Find the WPCREDIT program online somewhere. If you can't find it email me and I'll send it to you. That should allow you to make changes like CAS timings and such. Going from CAS3 to CAS2 yields a 20% memory bandwidth gain no matter the bus speed. I've done the research on this, so if that program recognizes your chipset, you should be able to gain at least a 20% performance gain in memory-intensive apps. That 20% is only derived from setting the memory from 3-3-3 to 2-2-2. No other changes made, so if you can change some of the interleaving or other settings, you could get even more performance.

------------------
    MSI K7T Turbo-R w/ 2.35v mod
    AthlonXP 1600+ @1900+ @ 1.75v
    256MB Corsair PC150 CL3
    12x DVD, 12x CDRW
    Water-cooled 118w Peltier
    Diamond TNT2 Viper V770 @ 160/190
    Intel Pentium 4 2.53B C1 @2.85GHz (stock volts), watercooled @ 27*C load
    MSI 865PE Neo2-P (i865PE + ICH5), 1GB PC3200 DDR RAM
    ATi Radeon X700Pro 256MB AGP8x
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160GB SATA, Maxtor DiamondMax 9 Plus 80GB
    NEC DVD-RW (ND-3520A), Lite-On 52/32/52x CD-RW (LTR-52327S)
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2

My Heatware | My Beerology | My eBay rating

Thread Information