measuring air movement
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: measuring air movement

measuring air movement

Is there some sort of formula to figure out how much air is moving by way of my fans?
    I got a 80mm sunon exhaust fan, and then the stock HSF that came with my processor. Also what does cfm stand for?

------------------
    AMD Athlon 1600 XP
    ECS K7S5A
    512 MB Crucial DDR
    30 GB Western Digital HDD
    Aopen 56x CDROM
    Gainward Geforce 2 Ti@283/534
    Voyetra Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    Windows XP Pro
    AMD Athlon 1600XP @1596 w/AX-7+Panaflo H1A
    Epox 8K3A
    512 MB Crucial PC2100 Fast settings
    30 GB WD HDD
    LiteOn 40x12x48
    Aopen 56x
    Gainward Geforce 2 Ti 261/554
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    XP Pro

CFM stands for Cubic Feet per Minute, i.e. how many cubic feet of air a fan can shift.

I don't know of any way of measuring the CFM other than adding the rated CFM's of the fans in your system and totalling them.

------------------
    AMD Athlon 1.2
    Abit KT7a RAID
    DiamondMax Plus 60 - 40Gb 7200rpm
    Elsa GeForce2MX 32Mb SDR
    10mbps internet
    ------------------
    University?
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

The CFM rating of a particular fan is generally rated in free air. That is no pressure or restriction that exists in a computer case. The CFM for an axial drops off pretty quickly when a pressure of even .2 inches of water exists within the chassis. If you were to total the CFM of all of the fans in your system you would get a number, but it wouldn't be a very accurate one.

The only true way of arriving at a CFM number would be to hook your system up to a flow bench and run airflow testing on it. You can see the following link for a description of a flow bench:

http://www.me.pdx.edu/~gerry/class/M...enchManual.pdf

In the absence of a flow bench you may be able to guesstimate the total system impedance and take a look at the Air Flow/Air Pressure perfomance curve. If you just look at the vertical axis for the system impedance then you can trace your way down to the horizontal axis and that will give you the CFM at that pressure.

I'm quite sure this is not the answer that you wanted to hear though.

------------------
    Mike
    Mechanical Engineer
    Dell Computer Corporation
    Storage Systems Group
    Mike
    Mechanical Engineer
    Dell Computer Corporation
    Server Development

Tape a trash bag over the fans and heatsink and let the fan inflate the bag. The resistance is almost nothing until the bag is almost completely full. The bags are rated for a cirtain amount of storage (like 30 gallon) and you can measure the time it takes in seconds. Convert it to cubit feet per second and your good to go.

I'm guessing that most heatsinks add anough turbulance and back pressure to cut the airflow on most fans by 50-75% or more. That is one reason why fan addaptors do not work too well. the airflow is restricted even more and these fans are not made to generate much pressure. Their perfromance drops off quickly. That is why less restrictive fan grills are usually more important then the actual fan.

------------------
    AthlonXP 1600+ @1.5Ghz
    FOP32-1 Mod w/80mm (30db)
    Epox 8KHA+ KT266A
    256MB Crucial DDR266
    GeForce2 GTS (210/410)
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    Antec SX-630 Case (mod'd)
    TTGI TT-350-SS 370w PS
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thread Information