Volcano 6Cu vs CoolerMaster DP5-6131c
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Volcano 6Cu vs CoolerMaster DP5-6131c

Volcano 6Cu vs CoolerMaster DP5-6131c

they're sitting here on the bench. the coolermaster has a big HS with a medium-size swept fan...it cools moderately but not loud.

the volcano i've never used before. the HS is the same size only it has a copper inset. the fan is big and true to thermaltake has a big hub with stubby blades.

question:

is the copper inset a benefit? i just plugged this volcano into another running machine, and didnt get the FOP32 whine from the big fan.

which one do I use for this XP 1800+ ?

------------------
    Have you had your hack today ?

If I had to guess,
    I would suspect that the TT Volcano 6Cu would perform slightly better due to the copper insert.

------------------
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

These newer Thermaltake HS are an improvement over the earlier units, I would go with the Volcano 6.

------------------
    "I cant drive...55 !!!"
    "I cant drive...55 !!!"

Justintime Guest
    agreed.
    look, its my devilpost

------------------
    Jr

BINK'S HWC MEMBER PHOTO GALLERY

Tt 6CU is good, Tt 6CU+ (7200 RPM) is much louder and only about 1 degree C better in cooling. I just changed out a 6CU+ for a Swiftech MCX642 and dropped my temperatures 6-7 degrees C under full load! The Swifty is just plain AWESOME! (of course at 4x the price!) It is even quieter that the 6CU+ because the fan is ONLY 5000 RPM and produces a lower pitch noise, though still quite loud. My Athlon C 1.4 GHZ is now game stable at 1.6 GHZ and 39-40 degrees C.

Current Main Rig:
    AMD FX55 @ 2.9 GHz
    2 GB PC 3200 DDR RAM
    ABIT KN8 SLi motherboard
    ATI X1900XT O/C to XTX speeds

Retired Rig:
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton @ 2387 MHz. (217*11)
    512MB DDR RAM @ 436 MHz. (PC 3700)
    Abit AN7 motherboard
    BFG GeForce 6800GT OC!

All but one or two CoolerMaster heatsinks are really bad. The only good one that show lots of promise is the HHC-001:
    http://www.plycon.com/hhc-001.jpg

They have another all copper one with a delta fan that performs OK (the HHC-002). The rest are very very very bad.

The Volcano 6Cu is a well designed basic heatsink with a nice copper insert, good quality manufacturing, and a respectable, but not too loud fan on it. The perfromance is not the best, but it perfroms MUCH better than all the other CoolerMaster heatsinks and would probably give even the HHC-002 a good run. It is also very cheap.

A heat spreader helps the performance quite a bit, but is not necisary. I use a GlobalWin FOP32-1. It is an older, but very good all aluminum heatsink . It is a very good design and is actually smaller that the V-6Cu, but uses a similar fan. It works great on my Duron 600@900Mhz. I use Acrtic Silver II for thermal compound between the CPU and heatsink. I run about 36'C full load. My main system has an AthlonXP 1600+ and it too has a FOP32-1, but I spread the fins out a bit so it would fit a larger 80mm fan. The fan generate about 30% more air for about 1/4 the noise. This thing is wisper quiet. I do not know if it performs any better, just quieter. I run about 42'C full load with this system. I am thinking of getting a V-6Cu also. As I said it is a bit bigger than the FOP32-1 (60x80 instead of 60x72) and the copper heatspreader will help too. After mod'n it will be 80x80mm and I will add a nice low RPM fan onto it, but likely a little better than the one I use now. I should have now problem getting below 40'C with this.

------------------
    AthlonXP 1600+ @1.5Ghz
    FOP32-1 Mod w/80mm (30db)
    Epox 8KHA+ KT266A
    256MB Crucial DDR266
    GeForce2 GTS (210/410)
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    Antec SX-630 Case (mod'd)
    TTGI TT-350-SS 370w PS
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

thanks for all the input. i have a fop32. it is definitely a good heatsink but louder than the volcano 6cu.

the northbridge active cooling makes quite a whine...is this fan necessary? the chipset itself doesn't feel all but warm to the touch after leaving the fan unhooked for ten minutes.

with just the volcano 6cu...the sound is tolerable
    ...but it cant keep it cool, its 47 degrees ( according to solteks onboard thingy )
    that cant be right...i'm going to hook up a temp sensor.

------------------

Originally posted by SWORDFISH:
    ...the northbridge active cooling makes quite a whine...is this fan necessary?...
    Good idea to leave it on.
    If it really irritates you,
    You can replace the just the fan.

------------------
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

hey know what?

i thin this thermaltake is a waste of lum'num 'n coppa'

------------------