changing the multiplier on a MSI K7T Pro
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: changing the multiplier on a MSI K7T Pro

changing the multiplier on a MSI K7T Pro

this is an old board but a good one. it's a KT133 and has not multi ajustments and a limited FSB adjustments, highest is 108mhz or there abouts.

if i were to change the defualt multi on the CPU itself with some conductive pen ink, would the mobo reconize it and run the CPU at that speed? i will try it out eventually, but i don't have the board right now, so im just asking to see if anyone has tried it yet.

------------------
    people that are slow are easy to pass, it's people who drive fast that are hard.
    people that drive slow are easy to pass, it's people who drive fast that provide a challange.

Yes I have that board with a 900 Athlon can get to 1050 stable. But with what I do I run at stock speed. But the answer is yes .

To change the multiplier on the CPU, you not only need to connect opened bridges, but you need to open other ones. That is the hard part. Depending on your CPU, it might not really be worth the risk or effort. You can also get some better motherboard for as little as $60 or less. There is a SiS K7S5A from ECS that even fas slots for DDR and SDRAM on the same board to make it easy to upgrade in steps. The SiS chipset performs pretty good too, just getting beat out by the KT266A. It also has some overclocking features, but I do not think it has voltage modifications, but you can reconnect bridges to do that (with out have to cut any). Then when you get some more money you can drop in a new AthlonXP or some DDR memory.

Here are the specs on the board:
    http://www.ecsusa.com/k7s5a.cfm

Pricewatch had several listing for about $55. It also has integrated sound and network (giving you extra parts when you build a second system out of spare parts).

------------------
    AthlonXP 1600+ @1.5Ghz
    FOP32-1 Mod w/80mm (30db)
    Epox 8KHA+ KT266A
    256MB Crucial DDR266
    GeForce2 GTS (210/410)
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    Antec SX-630 Case (mod'd)
    TTGI TT-350-SS 370w PS
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Ramr, did you change the multi to 10.5? or did you get a lucky board that could handle a 117mhz FSB? i would assume you changed to multi, so where did you find out what bridges had to be joined to get 10.5? i think anandtech or tomshardware had a guide but im not sure.

Todd a, although i wouldn't mind getting a new board, but what im going to be doing is a huge chain of hand-me-downs. it's going to go like this:
    - me give my MSI K7T Turbo to friend #1, i get new athlon DDR board one that can do 166 FSB or higher.
    - friend #1 replaces MSI K7T pro (board in question) with Turbo and o/c's his duron 650mhz to 800-900mhz or so and gives K7T pro to friend #2.
    - friend #2 replaces celeron 800mhz system with K7T Pro and a new duron or athlon 1ghz, and then o/c's it by changing multi's and FSB as much as he can.
    - and it goes on and on until i end up getting back my first CPU i had, a celeron 366mhz. but this isn't going to happen anytime soon, so im doing a little research first.

------------------
    people that are slow are easy to pass, it's people who drive fast that are hard.
    people that drive slow are easy to pass, it's people who drive fast that provide a challange.

Thread Information