Asus v8200 GF3 Ram w/b build, ( just call me Rotor ;-)
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus v8200 GF3 Ram w/b build, ( just call me Rotor ;-)

Asus v8200 GF3 Ram w/b build, ( just call me Rotor ;-)

Originally posted by #Rotor some time ago:
    those blocks are nice......... or you might want to go for it and make your own, believe me the satisfaction derived from that is unsurpassed.
    Yep, I know exactly what he means now

Asus v8200 water-cooling project, (Ram), build so far:-

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 07-01-2001).]

I'm speechless!!!

That is the most amazingly beautiful piece of machined metal I've ever seen

------------------
    Carpe noctem!
    Carpe noctem!

my god

------------------
    Real experts use keyboards for windows and mice for quake.
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

Thats hotter then my girlfirend =D

------------------
    celeronII 566@892
    asus s370-133 slotket
    asus p2-99
    192mb pc133
    13gb fujitsu
    voodoo3 2000 pci

http://tweakextreme.d2g.com

Impressive. How long did it take?

------------------
    I won't bore you with my system specs..
    I won't bore you with my system specs..

very impressive...i wish i had your tools at my disposal...that's a great design and even better is the quality of it's construction.

Dear GOD... that's impressive!!!!!

------------------
    Honey, i'm so SORRY for spending that cash on a watercooling rig... so sorry... Ouch!!
    ugh!

Looks a bit shoddy to me

Look at the way all the edges are nice and smooth, not rough at all. How are you supposed to cut your finger on that?

And the way the surfaces are all nice and flat. Your just asking for good contact with that!! Tut!

And I dont have to mention the way all those little screws have been lovingly countersunk. Did you have to use so many? I mean how are you gonna get leaks with that sort of craftsmanship?

I'm gonna cry off now with my little orange sinks

I seem to be turning a shade of green! Damn!

Its a shame to hide it in your case.

BTW: What did you use to cut the metal so acurately? Esp the rounded bits.

------------------
    P3 800e @ 1088 with water cooling
    BF6 Mobo
    Asus 8200 GF3
    256M HSDRAM
    Santa Cruz
    Iiyama Pro450
    Xp1800
    Soltek DRV5
    Corsair PC2700 cas2
    GF4 Ti4400
    Santa Cruz
    Barracuda IV
    Hollywood+
    Iiyama Pro450

Originally posted by Gasman:

BTW: What did you use to cut the metal so acurately? Esp the rounded bits.
    A dremel perhaps???

------------------
    Honey, i'm so SORRY for spending that cash on a watercooling rig... so sorry... Ouch!!
    ugh!

Thanks for the praise folks and I hope this topic doesn't come off as chest beating on my part, as that's not my intention. I just thought you'd like to see what can be made with some fairly basic materials and tools, (I love seeing things like this myself). I'd like to say I had used some very expensive equipment, but only a 40 year old broken lathe, (as a milling bed that has no motor), and a cheap and nasty Wickes pillar drill with the worst chuck I've ever come across!!. I also required some Drills, Taps, Dies, Digital Calipers, (helpful but not essential), and the materials/screws etc.

To say how long it took is hard because it takes a while to work out a design then take measurements, make a detailed working drawing and the decided what I needed and start making it. It's taken about a week of evenings from start to finish the machining.

Here's my working drawing (done in MS paint).

The rest of it is time & patience for the most part. I did try to mill the slot at first but the pillar drill & lathe bed was not up to it and in danger of breaking. The slot was also going askew. I decided just drilling down with the slot cutter would do as flow rate is not a major issue.

You can see here the "basic" milling equipment and how I "Rounded the edges" drilling holes all the way through then cutting it out with a junior hacksaw. The rest is done with a selection of metal files and elbow grease, I have the sore fingers to prove it

For clearer images the pictures are links to full page detailed ones, to keep the page load time down.

I now need to seal the inlet, outlet and base plate. Then I'll pressure test it with 2 Bar, (28PSI), air pressure with the block immersed in water for a few days to ensure no leaks before using nylon screws in the four remaining holes to mount it on the card. All the screws that hold the copper baseplate on are set, (where possible), so as to be in between the ram chips when it's on the card.

Talking of Rotor, does anyone know where he went?

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 07-01-2001).]

Originally posted by BladeRunner
    Thanks for the praise folks and I hope this topic doesn't come off as chest beating on my part, as that's not my intention.
    There's absolutely no one who posts more imformative material than BR with less ego attached....always a good read.

------------------
    Scott
    dfilANPARTY ut 250gb a64 3200 @ 2.52 (280 ht x 9) 2 X 512 g.sKILL PC4000 gIGABYTE 6800 gt
    Antec 430 truepower 2 Maxtor ATA133 8 MB cache Acer 52X Lite-On 1633s DVD-RW TB Santa Cruz - FPS surround LS120 O/B NIC Antec 1080 case

Originally posted by BladeRunner:

Talking of Rotor, does anyone know where he went?
    Last thing i heard was that he moved and had problems getting on the net. His superior cooling site (http://3rotor.safeshopper.com) seems to be down as well... He probably hangs out here

------------------
    ugh!

Yes, but how well does it work??? Were you able to approach 575Mhz with the memory?

------------------
    Sir, are you classified as human? Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

Don't know about the O/C yet, (not putting it on a 400 graphics card until I'm happy it wont leak ). O/c however was not the main reason for water-cooling the ram. I'm attempting to build a Zero fan PC so every heat producing item requires a block, HDD's, PSU, and maybe System Ram too. Even things that don't seem all that hot could be if you remove the forced airflow. If it's good ram on the card it should o/c well, considering the water temp is around 13C presently, and hopefully around 8C when the geo-thermal cooling tank is installed

Thread Information