PIV overclocking!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: PIV overclocking!

Hybrid View

Justintime Guest

PIV overclocking!

yep, decided to carry this 478 2Ghz baby to the moon! Asus P4T-E, standard intel H/S. Anyone can give me some advice on what Heatsink to use? Dreming of hitting a 133MHz bus and 2.66Ghz, what are the chances ya figure?

------------------
    Jr
    Bink's HWC gallery http://hwcmembersgallery.cjb.net/

ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone
    I would say very good especially if you remove the IHS! After removal you will need to possibly make a shim. I made mine from over lapping clear packaging tape squares with the center cutout.

My S478 PIV 1.5 went to 133Mhz without seeming making any changes in stability and temp. CPU Full Load is 50C

------------------
    Drakion has recently had his computer go down the drain, and has ended up with a P4.
    Drakion has recently had his computer go down the drain, and has ended up with a P4.

Justintime Guest
    nice one! what sink you using though?, temps are a little on the high side!

------------------
    Jr

The heatsink fan setup is just the basic bog-standard stock.

Whats the rest of your system like and how well does it perform, I'm actually quite disappointed with the P4, even with the overclock, maybe I'm doing something wrong somewhere...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Drakion (edited 01-18-2002).]

Justintime Guest
    i just got a radeon 8500 on it, i use the XP Dualie machine mostly these days, with a an Asus Geforce 3, the PIV is a test machine, might sell the processor and get a Northwood, dunno, waiting to see if its worth the bother..as for your machine, i'd say even with the Piv's short comings, it should be blazing fast, post your system specs and os setup and maybe we can give some advice

------------------
    Jr

Tom's Hardware did a P4 overclocking test. they said voltage and cooling was VERY important. They say most 2.2Ghz will do 3Ghz, but require water cooling and 1.85v. Without water cooling the throttle protection would shut the system down as the temps went up.

He also said a distributor sent him a hand picked P4 that they had sorted to find (likely testing hundreds). This thing managed to hit 3Ghz with air cooling, but they said this was VERY rare. 3Ghz with water cooling and 1.85v was easy for most 2.2Ghz. He did have the radiator on his water cooling system outside his window so the system was running at 0'C.

He also stated that a DDR board was almost a must because the RDRAM could not take 133Mhz or more without dropping the speed to PC600 (indstead of the stock PC800) using a 3/4 multiplier. This was pretty hard on the performance, but the DDR memory could handle the higher speeds easily.

Now watch out which 2Ghz you get. Make sure it is the .13micron version with 512K L2 cache. If it is not you will likely not make it to 2.2Ghz. These are usually labelled as 2.0A or 2.2A for the new Northwood cores.

So a quick recap. DDR motherboard, good cooling, lots of voltage, a Northwood 2.0AGhz P4, and a bit of luck will give you 2.66Ghz without too much trouble (3Ghz if you go nuts).

------------------
    AthlonXP 1600+ @1.5Ghz
    FOP32-1 Mod w/80mm (30db)
    Epox 8KHA+ KT266A
    256MB Crucial DDR266
    GeForce2 GTS (210/410)
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    Antec SX-630 Case (mod'd)
    TTGI TT-350-SS 370w PS
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

System Specs:

P4 1.5Ghz S478 (at default voltage)
    Asus P4S333 board
    Standard Intel HSF
    3x 256Mb Crucial CL PC2100
    2x 20.5Gb 7200rpm UDMA 100 HDD
    10Gb 7200rpm UDMA 100 HDD
    10.2Gb 5400rpm UDMA 66 HDD
    60Gb 5400rpm UDMA 100 HDD
    24x CD ROM
    16x8x40x CD RW
    16x DVD ROM
    Creative GeForce MX 32Mb DDR
    SBLive! Value
    IWill SideRAID 100

Running 2KPro, XP Pro and Mandrake

------------------

Thread Information