VERY QUIET fan needed
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: VERY QUIET fan needed

VERY QUIET fan needed

Hi all, came accross a 19" rack mount router for not so much, so I got it, thing is its SO LOUD, has 2 x 60mm sunon fans in it blowing over the circiut boards, I ran it without them on but it got pretty warm after just 10 minutes, It's running with just one right now, I urgently need reccomendations for SILENT (or as near as possible) 60mm fans, airflow rate isnt too important.

------------------
    Next time you wave, use all your fingers.

CALV

This sig In memory of my kid sister, Mandy. Died 14-8-02 aged 30.
    Murdered for nothing at all by Louise Berry

CALV

Try YS-Tech low profile 60x60x10mm's (don't know the model number, sorry). I think they're rated at 19CFM and are almost silent.

MuFu.

------------------
    More # please...

Bink's HWC GALLERY
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

I believe PAPST fans are fairly quiet, but have you considered lowering the voltage to the existing fans to try for a balance between fan noise and cooling?

I don't know what your rack mount looks like but the easiest way to quiet down fans is to uninstall them and replace them with larger ones. If you can fit an 80MM fan in there then it should quiet down. Bigger fans are usually slower but push more air which is sometimes more efficient in cooling peripherals down.

It might be worth your while to look into it.

Good luck!
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Thanks for the quick replies,

It's not really practical to lower the voltage, there only seems to be 12V/-12V going onto the main boards, I suppose I could fit a resistor in there but would be a bit too much bother.

I cant install a larger one, the case is very slim (about 70mm) and a standard 80mm fan just wont fit (unless I bolt it to the outside!!)

The fans in it dont half blow, pity I didnt have one like that a year ago!! I'll look into YS-tech and pabst fans, it doesnt help with the fans blowing in one side of the case, accross the boards, and out of the other side, apart from the noise of the fans, the sound of the air is very noticable, the hub (12 port swithing) will only be using 4 or 5 ports, so will never be "under full load" but without the fans it will surely overheat. Pity its not a single component that gets hot- I could have watercooled it!!, still, for 20 the value for money is definately there.

------------------
    Next time you wave, use all your fingers.

CALV

This sig In memory of my kid sister, Mandy. Died 14-8-02 aged 30.
    Murdered for nothing at all by Louise Berry

CALV

You can get those YS-TECH's here: http://www.theoverclockingstore.co.u...&categoryid=20

MuFu.

------------------
    More # please...

Bink's HWC GALLERY
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

Thread Information