Problems
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Problems

Problems

Originally this was posted over in the Motherboard forum but a lot of people there told me it sounded like I had an overheating problem so here goes ...

For X-mas I purchased a 2 ghz Pentium 4 processor with the D845HV motherboard. I have everything all hooked up including, the CPU fan that came with the chip, and two 80 mm case fans I purchased recently.

Unfortunetly when I start the computer it will boot but only remain on for a small amount of time. Because of the amount of speed in the chip I have made it into Windows several times but it always just suddenly shuts down, exactly as if I had powered down. It has done this to me while I was in the BIOS as well.

Maybe my CPU fan is loose? Maybe it is something else? If anyone can give some help or some advice it will be very much appreciated. Thanks you.

sounds like you either had a bad motherboard or a bad PSU. Try another PSU.

i dont think that sounds like a overheating problem,,, anyone see that tomshardware vid where the fired the afl0ns my taking off the HS's in quake3, but the p4 just slowed down, with out crashing,
    i agree wit ylun, try another psu

------------------
    celeronII 566@892
    asus s370-133 slotket
    asus p2-99
    192mb pc133
    13gb fujitsu
    ATI Radeon 32mb ddr

http://tweakextreme.d2g.com

I am a bit slow with the acronyms guys. PSU?

PSU=Power Supply Unit =).

Cheers
    Athlon XP 1700+ AXDA1700DUT3C @2004 Mhz (166x12), TT Volcano 7+, Arctic Silver 3
    Abit KX7-333R
    512 Mushkin PC2700 + 512 OCSystem PC3200 CL2
    Sapphire Radeon 9800 non-pro flashed to pro 128MB 430/370
    Creative Audigy
    Western Digital Caviar 2000JB 200GB
    Western Digital Caviar 1000BB 100GB
    IBM Deathstar 60GXP 60GB
    3DMark 2003

Real_Men_Do_Not_Use_Space

Hmm. Orignially the case came with a 300w PSU (aren't acronyms great ) On the motherbaords forum someone suggested it was the PSU as well so I purchased a 350w and installed it. Perhaps I should return it and upgrade to a 400w? I think that is the highest the store went to but maybe they go higher.

Anyone have any idea what wattage a P4 2.0 Ghz should be drawing on?

I don't think it all "Hinges" on the amount of power, tho Intel states you "should" have a minimum 300 watt supply, rather the power needs to get where it is needed reliably. There are 2 connectors that you need in which to run the P4, besides the atx connector to the board. 1 is a 4 pin connector, which boosts the +12v to the chipset, and the other is a 6 pin connector, which provides a better +5v to the motherboard. I would check to see you have these connectors, and that they are on right, if not, you can purchase an aftermarket 4 pin that adapts to a standard molex connector from the supply. As to the 6 pin, if your supply dosn't have it, you can either "rob" an old supply of 1, or simply buy a different supply that has 1 of these. Easier to have a PSU that has 1 of these allready. Also, what video card are you using?

------------------
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

I have the 20 pin in their good, as well as the 4. This is the first anyone has mentioned a 6 pin though. I am pulling the computer out now to look for it and see if I can find where it should connect. If possible could you give me an idea of where it connects? Thanks.

Oh, and I am using a nVidia GeForce 2 AGP for the video. I have another card (an old PCI) that I switch to make sure it isn't the video card. Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by Caliber (edited 12-31-2001).]

Anyone know?

May be a overheating problem. Check your CPU temperature. There should be a monitor in the BIOS. It will indicate if the heatsink is fitted correctly.

I can find nothing in my BIOS that indicates any kind of temperature, or in any way mentions a heatsink. I worry about turning it on too much beacuse I fear frying the board.

I do notice that right before it shuts down it freezes. Does that indicate anything?

The 6 pin connector is the Auxilary Power connector, I have it on my Asus P4T socket 423 board, and it was there on my Intel socket 423 board as well. It is positioned just below the atx connector on my board, Take a look in your manual.

------------------

Also check the manual in the bios pages for access to the temperature monitoring, it should have some reference. The heatsink should be securely fixed to the processor.

I looked, but underneath the 20-pin connector is my floppy connector and that is it. There is a +5v on my board, but it is in a series of jumpers like this :

1 3
    2 3

1 says that it is +5v

2 says ground

3 says no connection

I don't see anything for the 6-pin connetor. Any experience with this board?

Thread Information