[RESOLVED] How to make an artifical fan - Page 5
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] How to make an artifical fan

Wow a cpu temp lower than the system temp. Thats amazing! Maybe I should be using a rig like yours to cool my house today. LOL

[This message has been edited by cyril1 (edited 06-27-2001).]
    1.1 Gig Thunderbird
    Abit kt7 raid
    256MB Corsair Cas2
    Radeon LE
    SoundBlaster Live Value

Yes it's just what I wanted so thanks for your time and patience, I think the fans work on two pulses per rev so maybe that's why it was only 3300rpm at first? I've also learnt a bit more about simple electronics, I've put together Velleman kits before but they don't require much more than basic soldering skills. I'd post a pic of my Pulse Gen but you'd only laugh at my poor layout etc

Check out my water cooling thread for the system build. (CPU is being cooled by coolant at 14C).

Next part of the project is to put the tank 8 foot under which will give around 8C water temp.

It's funny you should mention cooling your house as I thought the same the other day. If this water is coming out of the ground at 8C to 10C could that be cool enough for a household air conditioning system? It would certainly be very efficient to run, (compared to a real air conditioner), and as quiet as the circulation pump and fans you used. if This water flowed through heat exchangers positioned in the ceiling, I know it's not as cold as a true air conditioner but I Wonder if it would be cool enough to work? Interesting...........

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 06-27-2001).]

Yes I have seen the pics of your set-up. I work as a tech at an Air Traffic Control Center and when I show the Guys there your pics it always gets an amazed or comical reaction.
    Lots of computers at the center and none of them overclocked. How much fun could we have hooking them into the Air Conditioning System? Ha Ha.
    1.1 Gig Thunderbird
    Abit kt7 raid
    256MB Corsair Cas2
    Radeon LE
    SoundBlaster Live Value

Bloody hell, I stay off me pc for a day or two and you get the dam thing done, lol takes about half an hour for the topic to load now- but cable avail in my area soon
    Glad you got it sorted.

This sig In memory of my kid sister, Mandy. Died 14-8-02 aged 30.
    Murdered for nothing at all by Louise Berry

CALV

Finally Asus come through.... it's only taken 6 months!!

Now I just have to finish this ram waterblock project and I'll put the whole thing into practise.

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 06-30-2001).]

Looks nice. Have you done any leak testing yet? Cos thats a lot of screws.

Is the block going to fit over the core as well as the memory?
    And if so, arent they at different heights?

Sorry for all the Q's. I've been quietly following this thread

Post some pics of your fan speed generator.
    Xp1800
    Soltek DRV5
    Corsair PC2700 cas2
    GF4 Ti4400
    Santa Cruz
    Barracuda IV
    Hollywood+
    Iiyama Pro450

Patience grasshopper it is not finished yet, the square section with the large holes will be cut out soon but it is easier to hold and finish with it still there. The screw holes don't go into the water channel. keep an eye out for the full topic it will be true to my sketches. (when it's done).

I was testing my idea of linking larger detailed pics to small low quality jpgs, (to help reduce page load times), in the Asus topic below, so have a look there for more details.

<A HREF="http://discussions.hardwarecentral.com/Forum3/HTML/014120.html" TARGET=_blank>Asus v8200 Deluxe Geforce 3 (initial impressions)
    </A>

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 06-30-2001).]

This question although opposite is very similar. I am trying to figure out how to decode the signal coming from my fans. I may be wrong but from what was said the fan exports a square wave from 0v to 12v. I am using a basic stamp 2 to interpret the data by using pulsin to measure the length of each pulse. However its not working well at all. If anyone knows how to extract the signal from the fan or to do any part of what I tried to secribe I'd appreciate your help.
    -Ryan

Hay blade,

You could have just taken a small 50mm fan with RPM (the slow the better) and just cut the fins off. This will speed up the fan because of the lack of wind resistance and drage. You can likely run it at 5v too. You will likely not hear it running at all and you can shuve it somewhere were nobody can see it.

You also could have used an RPM sensing fan in the power supply and run the sensor wire to the graphics card.

A little late, but I tend to go for the simple and cheap solutions.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

I am not familiar with your process, but to measure the pulse length you could use an oscilloscope (if I spelt that right) and go from there.

Possibly Todd a but the proper pulse gen is much more elegant way to do it. It is simple now I know how to make one, and costs about 1$ to make.

When finished I aslo want to be able to say it's a fan free system and some smart *** would always point out any fan even if it were Bladeless

The other adavntage of learning to build this unit is I'm going to use one for flow detection - shutdown.

------------------
    Stealth Cooling Project

Originally posted by Machenti:
    This question although opposite is very similar. I am trying to figure out how to decode the signal coming from my fans. I may be wrong but from what was said the fan exports a square wave from 0v to 12v. I am using a basic stamp 2 to interpret the data by using pulsin to measure the length of each pulse. However its not working well at all. If anyone knows how to extract the signal from the fan or to do any part of what I tried to secribe I'd appreciate your help.
    -Ryan

I am not sure what you are using there for equipment but it will be very hard to see anything without the fan hooked to the circuit. The fan itself supplies either an open circuit or a gnd.

The actual 12V of the detection circuit on the motherboard is supplied by the motherboard. When a ground is supplied by the fan this completes the Circuit so you get alternate pulses of 12V and 0V but no voltage is actulally coming from the fan. The fan only controls the voltage coming from the motherboard itself.

I hope this helps.
    1.1 Gig Thunderbird
    Abit kt7 raid
    256MB Corsair Cas2
    Radeon LE
    SoundBlaster Live Value

The 555 IC will not be harmed via 12V line
    (absolute rating is 4.5-18V)

AMD Mobile 2500+
    A7N8X Deluxe rev2.0
    1GB Corsair XMS PC2700
    GeCube Radeon 9800 Pro
    Seagate SATA 80GB
    2xSegate 160GB in RAID0

Originally posted by SexyMF:
    The 555 IC will not be harmed via 12V line
    (absolute rating is 4.5-18V)

Who said it would?
    1.1 Gig Thunderbird
    Abit kt7 raid
    256MB Corsair Cas2
    Radeon LE
    SoundBlaster Live Value

Cyril, how difficult (if possible?) would it be to modify that schematic so that the output from a fan that only provides the NC/GND cycle would be converted into the RPM pulse?

I have a high speed 120mm Delta fan (three of them actually) which I would like to use in a server I'm building. The fan comes with the yellow NC/GND lead, but the remote monitoring system (DarkSite) I'll be using requires the pulse wire.

Thanks for any ideas you might have .

Thread Information