[RESOLVED] How to make an artifical fan - Page 4
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] How to make an artifical fan

You'll need damn good eyes and steady hand to do it with epoxy, but it would be more permanent I suppose. I personally haven't had any trouble with the Pencil yet, never having to redo it, (I put a small sticker over it when done so it can't rub off).

The only real advantage to the pencil is if the CPU has to be sent back, removing the epoxy so it can't be detected could be very hard, especially if they have one of these

(been playing with the manual settings today)

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 06-26-2001).]

Got your program, thanks! I'll need some time to play with it. I'm going to look into the web thing later. Perhaps you are right about the pencil trick. Just heard of people having problems with it wearing off. What kind of a sticker are you using to keep it there? P.S. I don't have good eyes but I have a microscope. It looks like your camera is as good as a microscope. Man that thing is impressive. How many Mega pixels is that thing?

------------------
    600 duron@990mhz(9x110FSB)
    Abit kt7 raid
    256MB Corsair Cas2
    Asus TNT2 (untill the LE comes)
    1.1 Gig Thunderbird
    Abit kt7 raid
    256MB Corsair Cas2
    Radeon LE
    SoundBlaster Live Value

I just used a sticker (any paper or vinyl sticker) and made a small round circle by using a hole punch on it. You know the things that make holes in paper so you can put them in a paper binder.

It's important to make sure you cover the bridges well with lead and blow off the excess. If they merge with the one next to them use a pencil eraser to get it clear then some electrical contact cleaner (or brake cleaner) to clean off the rubber traces before having another go.

The other thing is never reuse the sticker as some lead will stick to it.

A Microscope's a good idea, hadn't though of that, I struggled with a magnifying glass with the CPU in the pic, not a bad job as it happens, now I can actually see it

It's 3.34 mega pixel and the Macro performance is very impressive. That Image was taken in Highest quality mode, (manual only), @ 2048x1536 in Tiff format and is shown actual size with no modifaction other than it's a section of the image and saved as a high quality jpg. The original Tiff is 9mb .... hang on I'll send it to you in an e-mail

Took me all night but I finally got this working.(not the cct but the image upload) Thought you could use the revised cct of Bartleby's just in case the text was not clear. I would definitely add the transistor since Vcc will now be 12V This will isolate your board from the 12V used to power the 555.
    The 3 wires coming from the 555 cct can now go directly to your fan plug.
    Enjoy!

------------------
    Abit kt7 raid
    256MB Corsair Cas2

[This message has been edited by cyril1 (edited 06-24-2001).]
    1.1 Gig Thunderbird
    Abit kt7 raid
    256MB Corsair Cas2
    Radeon LE
    SoundBlaster Live Value

Thanks for the update I'm giong to get the parts today, wish I could find somewhere to get a fan plug that small. Congrats on getting the pics working. I had a lot of trouble at first. Just one suggestion. although I said photos need to be saved as jpgs, simple black and white ones can be saved as Gifs. The Gif file format is just limited in it's amount of colour shades so wouldn't work with my colour images for instance. It is however much better for Sandra & Wcpuid benchmarks, and some basic black & white images etc.

Your image saved as a gif is near half the file size and there is a general (unwritten rule) of trying to keeping each image to a size no bigger than 150kb that you are going to link to. It reduces page load time if the files are smaller, quicker upload time for you and leaves more space in your web allowance.

Again I tried to save the diagram from my scanner to a file. I saved it in Gif format but the file turned out to be 21MB!! I was going to try it again in a jpg format when I noticed the scanner co. had a webpage. I scanned it directly to there and forgot I had chosen the jpg format. I will change it tonight if I get a chance.
    Is there a way I can scan this to a file without it being so big. Why is it so much smaller when I scan it to the web? Am I doing something wrong here?

------------------
    Abit kt7 raid
    256MB Corsair Cas2
    1.1 Gig Thunderbird
    Abit kt7 raid
    256MB Corsair Cas2
    Radeon LE
    SoundBlaster Live Value

Yeah I have a scanner like that that always wants to produce enormous Tiffs.

The way I get around it is to scan the image in and look at it in something like Microsoft photo editor for instance, (part of MS office), get it displayed on the screen in a size you like then simply hit Printscreen, (if you have Printkey installed and running in the taskbar). Use the rectangle tool to draw a box around the area you want to save as a pic, then save as a Giff. I shouldn't worry about changing your image as it's not huge , It was just some general advice in passing the smaller your files are on your site the longer your space allowance will last before you have to delete stuff.

Anyway I've got all the components today so I'll have a go at making the device now.

By the way I breadboarded the new cct today and confirmed it works. I also found out what the problem was with the 12V oscillation. It was the speaker (not the capacitor) that was causing the instability at 12V.

Since you are not using a speaker in your installation this will not be a problem. If the circuit does not seem to work you can still connect a speaker temporarily across Vcc to pin 3 of the 555. You should hear a sound like a small model airplane at idle. Note that since you are at 12v the frequency at the speaker will start to climb(instability)but this is only meant for go no-go testing since you do not have a scope.

Thanks for the info on the posting of pictures.

------------------
    Abit kt7 raid
    256MB Corsair Cas2

[This message has been edited by cyril1 (edited 06-25-2001).]
    1.1 Gig Thunderbird
    Abit kt7 raid
    256MB Corsair Cas2
    Radeon LE
    SoundBlaster Live Value

Success!!

I'd like to thank all that helped me get this built

cyril1

I haven't tried it on the card yet but if it works on the mobo it should be the same on the vga (as the p3 fan worked on the vga)

The only thing that I haven't done is fit the npn transistor and resistor you added in the final build, (mainly because I can't work out the which pins are which on the transistor). Something weird though? with a 12v input it runs a buzzer ok without "running away" but when connected to the rotation pin on the mobo it doesn't work and the 555 chip gets red hot. Using 5v as an input voltage it works as shown in the image.

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 06-26-2001).]

You see a buzzer and a speaker are two different things. A speaker is very low impedance and a buzzer is higher so it might not cause feedback.

The reason the 555 is heating up is that the voltage on the MB is 5V and the Voltage on the 555 is 12V. The difference of 7V causes a current that has to go somewhere!!!

Thats what the transistor is for, Isolation. Please use it or you may damage your board!!! Post a picture of the transistor and I will see if I can help you with the pins.

P.S. I do not see the picture in your latest post. Maybe because I am at work.

------------------
    Abit kt7 raid
    256MB Corsair Cas2
    1.1 Gig Thunderbird
    Abit kt7 raid
    256MB Corsair Cas2
    Radeon LE
    SoundBlaster Live Value

Ok I've disconnected it but it was working fine at 5v. I understand the 12v problem now you've explained it to me

The pic not showing was me rearanging the folders on my web space, my fault

One other thing, which component & value would I need to change to raise the indicated RPM if required?

top picture left to right emitter-base-collector. bottom picture left to right collector-base-emitter. The one with the tab is always the emitter.

Sorry got to run. Talk to you later. Without the transistor you will get voltage pulses but with the transistor you will get on and off ground pulses so no harm to your board.

------------------
    Abit kt7 raid
    256MB Corsair Cas2
    1.1 Gig Thunderbird
    Abit kt7 raid
    256MB Corsair Cas2
    Radeon LE
    SoundBlaster Live Value

If you want to change the frequency just change the value of RA and RB. Decreasing their value increases the RPMs and vice versa.

------------------
    Abit kt7 raid
    256MB Corsair Cas2
    1.1 Gig Thunderbird
    Abit kt7 raid
    256MB Corsair Cas2
    Radeon LE
    SoundBlaster Live Value

Ok added the npn & resistor, also changed the 47k resistors to 33k giving this very similar speed indication:-

Just need to work out the best way to make a header plug for the vga now as I can't find the same type of plug as the tiny one Asus fit anywhere. I've been trying for over 6 months to get one from Asus or just find their supplier without any luck. (same fan plug as the Asus GTS).

Glad to see it work out for you Blade. Thats exactly the value of resistor I was going to suggest you try next. I am not sure why the first cct did not give the result of 6000rpm as this is what 100hz is equal to and the frequency I measured on the scope was 100 hz. It probably has something to do with the design of the counter on the GB.
    Anyway, just as long as it is doing the trick. That's the main thing.
    I had a new video board, CPU and cooler come today and in another couple of weeks I will actually have time to hook them up. I may need your assistance then if I run into problems. Thanks again for your assistance in getting my pictures on to a BBS.

------------------
    Abit kt7 raid
    256MB Corsair Cas2
    1.1 Gig Thunderbird
    Abit kt7 raid
    256MB Corsair Cas2
    Radeon LE
    SoundBlaster Live Value

Thread Information