[RESOLVED] E510: Unexpected Power Down... Reboot Success Sporadic and Short-term
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] E510: Unexpected Power Down... Reboot Success Sporadic and Short-term

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] E510: Unexpected Power Down... Reboot Success Sporadic and Short-term

My Dell Dimension E510 unexpectedly powered down a couple of days ago. Just went completely off with no warning. The number lights on the front of the CPU flashed serveral times before getting to a 1-3-4 pattern before going completely blank again. It would do this over and over again. I finally pulled the power plug.

After waiting 10-15 minutes (wondering what in the world was going on) I tried powering it back up. Got to a Windows logon screen and then bam! back down. I pulled the cord again. After getting the kids to bed I tried again (was down for about an hour this time). On boot-up I did an F12 and ran DIAGNOSTICS. Everything passed. It stayed running for about 20 minutes then shut back down. Occasionally it would try to reboot and would die again a various points leading up to a logon or during the Windows desktop load.

I did some searching online a thought that maybe it was an overheating problem so I removed the side panel and tried running with an external fan blowing towards it. The results did not vary.

PC sat powered off during the night and I was able to boot up OK yesterday AM. Appeared to run OK. Ran virus scan: no problems. I started burning files to CD so that I would access from another PC. Was able to print out some work for my kids (homeschooled, they were happy). But by mid-day it went down again. Last night it stayed up long enough to run diagnostics again. Everything passed.

I do not think it could be virus related. Not sure why overheating could be a sudden problem and not sure if my unscientific external fan test could constitute ruling it out. I am leaning towards a faulty Power Supply Unit but not sure how to confirm or rule out.

I tried booting up the PC this morning but never got past the 1-3-4 then goes blank and tries booting again. I did notice also that the light is always solid green. It had been powered off all night so I would like to rule out overheating.

Any help or questions would be greatly appreciated. I didn't realize how much I need this PC until this happened. (Probably true for most things.)

Thank you in advance.

What happens if you try to boot into Safe Mode? Will it stay up?

Do you see a flash of a blue screen when it tanks? Try un-checking the "automatically reboot" box on a failure to see if a blue screen and a stop code show up. You can do that at Control Panel/system/advanced/startup and recovery.

When it first happened I did boot in Safe Mode. I was unable to run virus scan so I rebooted normal. Virus DATs were current and no problems found. Rebooted at some point and ran all Diagnostics successfully. (It did power off several times during all this.)

I had not tried powering up since this morning. I just powered on and successfully logged in. Auto Reboot is not selected. I also did not find anything in the Event logs. I will wait for the problem to happen again so I can search any log files again.

Added Information: (2:35PM) It did shut down again. It does not appear to be a power problem because it is trying to restart even though that setting is not selected. I just sat here watching it restart and dying at various stages of a normal boot. I did get into Diagnostics and everything Passes. I will check the Event Logs as soon as I can get back into Windows.
    Last edited by like2hike; January 9th, 2007 at 02:40 PM.

You should remove the cover and see if the CPU fan has stopped working.

Current Main Rig:
    AMD FX55 @ 2.9 GHz
    2 GB PC 3200 DDR RAM
    ABIT KN8 SLi motherboard
    ATI X1900XT O/C to XTX speeds

Retired Rig:
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton @ 2387 MHz. (217*11)
    512MB DDR RAM @ 436 MHz. (PC 3700)
    Abit AN7 motherboard
    BFG GeForce 6800GT OC!

The fan is currently running. Not to say that it won't be prior to it shutting down. What types of events will cause the PC to power off and then attempt to restart? I have been checking the Event Logs and nothing shows up prior to a restart event. Kind of baffling.

I have the same problem, with my dell. I know what exactly is the problem... On the front of your computer you should have two USB Port on one side and Sound plugins on the other, also right below this is you Power button. The power button is connected to the USB and sound board above and has shorted. I just had it happen today and started it up and pulled out the IDE cord and its been on since. i'm currently trying to get dell to find out about replacing it due that you cant set it to start off of any pins.

Ok im still on hold with dell for the part... dell ****s... i've been on the phone for 45 mins now and i have an hour lunch im using and i havent even got the part number yet for the stupid little part.... but i'll post the part number and price.

I guess you cant write ****s Here unless you type Suxs lol anyways still no part number and a new person... hour and five mins in to it.... wow sad.

I'ms sorry i havent got the part number

Willtech: Thanks for the update!!! I was getting ready to buy a new PSU thinking that to be the problem. I had done the Dell route and they told me it was either the PSU or video card. I have been able to test everything (except the PSU) using the Bootup Diagnostics. Everything Passes. Please keep me posted as I am not yet sure what I can do to get my PC powered up. My wife & I home school our children and I am too dependant on this PC. It being down has not been helpful. Thanks again!!!

Not good news. I booted up my PC this morning and pulled the connector that runs to the Power switch/USB Ports/Audio&MIC port. The PC has been up all day until just now. It has shutdown and rebooted three, ummm, four times in the last five minutes. Maybe back to the PSU option...

Like2Hike,
    I am having exactly the same problem with my dell dimension e510. You must have resolved the problem some how. I thought it was a PSU and replaced with new one. After replacing the PSU it ran continously for 3 to 4 hours that day. Next morning it ran for 3 to 4 hours and I then started having problem. I am not sure if it heating as I ran the diagnostics and everything turned out to be O.K. Please, any help is appreciated.

I have the same problem as well. I actually have 2 e510's that are doing the exact same thing. I have switched out every piece of hardware, tried to run without the cmos, done a complete restore, and still nothing. It's not a heat issue, as this will happen when I try to turn it on after a few days. It's completely random. When it finally boots in, sometimes I can run it for a week without an issue, and then suddenly it will turn off.
    The diagnostics are fine, the fans are running fine, I've switched out the processor and changed the gel (I thought it was a heat issue initially), and still nothing.
    Has anyone ever been able to figure out what is wrong with this model????

For those who verified that it is not heat issues,
    Test memory module(s) in use with memory diagnostic software such as Memtest86+.
    Note,
    Let it run overnight or at the very minimum, 18 passes.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

E510 Powering Down Issue

Quote Originally Posted by like2hike View Post
    Willtech: Thanks for the update!!! I was getting ready to buy a new PSU thinking that to be the problem. I had done the Dell route and they told me it was either the PSU or video card. I have been able to test everything (except the PSU) using the Bootup Diagnostics. Everything Passes. Please keep me posted as I am not yet sure what I can do to get my PC powered up. My wife & I home school our children and I am too dependant on this PC. It being down has not been helpful. Thanks again!!!
    Did you ever find out what part / part number was defective in your E510 that was causing this issue? I'm having the same issue and at wit's end. Thanks in advance!

Jon

Thread Information