Computer locking up when getting online
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Computer locking up when getting online

Computer locking up when getting online

Tis is sort of a weird problem, and I think it has to do with my hard drive. What happens is whenever I restart my computer the first time I type a web address or try to browse my computer and sometime opening programs, my computer will freeze up and unfreez for about 30 seconds and then it will be fine for the rest of the time I am on it until I reboot. What is wrong?

------------------
    No need to post my specs, because no one cares anyways.
    "You can't hurt The Colonal because The Colonal like it rough." <- you would have had to been there!
    "You can't hurt The Colonal, because The Colonal likes it rough!"
    Get Listed!

MitchSchaft Guest
    we can't help you unless you post your specs. Could be anything. Probably something wrong with your modem or it's drivers.

Well, I dont think there is any problems with your modem, I mean, how can the modem know that you are typing. No i think the problem is softwarerelated, Would be good if you as someone earlier said, could post your specs. What OS are you running?
    What processor and mobo are you using?
    Your ram? Are you overclocking with not enough cooling? Can be many variables here.

------------------
    |Celeron 633@713| Geforce2 MX400 64mb| |448mb Pc133| |WinXP

Specks: AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1GHz 200MHz FSB
    Asus A7VKT133
    2 - PC133 sticks (Not sure of brands, one bought on pricewatch the other at CompUSA)
    Running Windows ME on 40GB 5400Rpm ATA100 drive with no bad segments.
    I have updated and run through Norton AntiVirus and no virii are present.
    I am not currently overclocking and 3 80mm deltas at 7v should be adaquate cooling.

New developments: Since my last post here is what else has happened.
    *My computer can ONLY be booted up when I attach a video cable to the TV out on my video card, otherwise it stays at the wonderful Windows ME picture forever.
    *The keyboard now does not work at all during the bootup process.
    *I had installed AOL off of a CD that had just come in the mail and it killed ALL internet access even after reconfiguring it.
    *I had no floppy drive attached, so when I attached one to my computer to backup files so I can reformat it now freezes at that wonderful Windows ME screen.

If I am able to get into Windows by some miracle and backup my files, I am going to attempt to format and start from scratch. Very time consuming and frustrating, but if it works I will be happy. Any help would be great. Thanx in advance

------------------
    No need to post my specs, because no one cares anyways.
    "You can't hurt The Colonal because The Colonal like it rough." <- you would have had to been there!
    "You can't hurt The Colonal, because The Colonal likes it rough!"
    Get Listed!

Thread Information