Water Cooling with distilled water
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Water Cooling with distilled water

Water Cooling with distilled water

From what I hear in my Chemistry class, pure water does not conduct electricity. If this is true, why han't anyone submerged a computer in pure water, or distilled water to water cool it? If anyone has any comments, or knows of any other posts about this let me know.

------------------
    No need to post my specs, because no one cares anyways.
    "You can't hurt The Colonal because The Colonal like it rough." <- you would have had to been there!
    "You can't hurt The Colonal, because The Colonal likes it rough!"
    Get Listed!

MitchSchaft Guest
    wouldn't water start a corrosion process even if it were to stay under water?

I just don't think anyone want to take that kind of a challenge, especially since most of us here don't have money to burn. Other sites like tom's hardware or Club OC might have considered it but not found it a feasible experiment.

Even if that was the case (and I seriously doubt that it is) the water wouldn't stay deionised for long with the mains attached to it via the PSU. I'd be intersted to see Tom's writeup on this experiment though .

People have cooled computers with non-conductive liquid immersion before though and it really does work well. Only seen it on supercomputers htough and I can't remember the name of the fluid, looked like ectoplasm if I remember rightly.

Bennyboy
    If you've got your money for nothing, who cares if the chicks are free!

Originally posted by Bennyboy:
    I'd be intersted to see Tom's writeup on this experiment though .
    "Here you can see the AMD-based system being totally destroyed by distilled water submersion, whilst the Intel machine blah blah blah..."

Cheap shot, sorry.

MuFu.

------------------
    More # please...
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

Fluorinert, made by 3M I think.

Not sure it's the same stuff, but Seymour Cray first used a similar substance to cool supercomputers way back in the day (ahhh...).

OCTools seem to be an authority in this area of lunacy:
    http://www.octools.com/index.cgi?caller=submersion.html

MuFu.

------------------
    More # please...
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

The man that can, saves the day again , cheers MuFu. That was one of the most inspiring links I've ever had the pleasure to click on, those guys are tremendous. I'd love to see what they can do with their next setup, and maybe some better components too .
    If you've got your money for nothing, who cares if the chicks are free!

Yeah, thanx for the link! It was sweet. Maybe I can do that... or maybe get a good computer first with the wads of cash it would take!

------------------
    No need to post my specs, because no one cares anyways.
    "You can't hurt The Colonal because The Colonal like it rough." <- you would have had to been there!
    "You can't hurt The Colonal, because The Colonal likes it rough!"
    Get Listed!

Thread Information