Water cooling question...
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Water cooling question...

Water cooling question...

I'm at uni now, learning about why AMD chips are superior to Intel ones so I can become a more effective flamer.

We pay a fixed fee for our water, and for that we can use as much as we want. I was just thinking of rigging up some kind of system to tap water from my sink (hee-hee!) into my PC, through a water-based cooling rig (probably just one block on the CPU at the moment) and then back out into the sink. It's about an 8m round-trip.

Can you think of any immmediate difficulties I might encounter? I can't really think of any at the moment.

I was also wondering whether it'd actually benefit me:

AMD T-Bird (AXIA-R)1.2@1.425GHz (FSB@150MHz)
    Thermoengine w/AS2 & 80mm 26CFM fan
    Runs about 40C idle and just breaks 50C under full load.

Of course... I'm likely to do the mod anyway, just for the hell of it. Plus it'd be completely silent.. RAD.

MuFu.

P.S. Am I morally comfortable with such a wasteful and downright cheeky scheme? Oh yes... ain't no tree-hugger. Think of it this way: I am just claiming back all the water I've saved by never washing.

------------------
    More # please...

[This message has been edited by Mutha Funker (edited 11-02-2001).]
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

Well other than wasting water for no good reason is socially unacceptable, I'm sure the Uni will take a dim view if they find out, and if you intend to leave it running unattended or 24/7 expect to buy a few CPU's as they fry everytime the water supply is shut off while they look for the leak.

------------------
    Stealth Cooling Project

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 11-02-2001).]

*Imagines returning to find rooms on fire.*

Good point. Might have to build a 1000 litre reservoir tank just in case the supply is cut off.

Anybody know anything about waterproofing wardrobes?

MuFu.

------------------
    More # please...
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

LOL!

1000 litre tank in your dorm room! I'm sure your roomie will just love that...

My GF is a tree hugger and I should email her this thread! She'd love to give you a lecture on conservation and saving the environment. But it would probably just get her all worked up and then I'd have to put up with it for the next couple days.

Oh well!

So is 1000L equal to 1meter cube and 1000Kg.

It would take a week for a tbird to heat that up.

------------------
    AMD 1266Mhz 1.7volts
    Abit KT7a
    256mb memory
    Creative Geforce GTS 32mb
    Athlon 1Ghz AXIA Stepping
    Abit KT7a Rev1
    256mb generic
    CL GTS 32ddr
    Vortex 2 (2048)
    GXP60 20Gbytes

CONDENSATION.... you are going to have lots of it, cold tap water is... well ..... cold... at least cold enough to get you some, so just so you know and don't ask me how I know that, I have never ever, in my hole life ever tried what you are going to try... I promise... .... oooooKKKKK maybe once or twice, but it was a long time ago... another thing you will notice, while playing with the flow-rate.... (tap water has plenty of pressure to play with).... more is indeed better! just be careful with the pressure.....

------------------
    Go ahead...... lick my BLOCK
    My page is here
    Go ahead...... lick my BLOCK
    This is my website

There was some bloke over ontomshardware with the same prob, until recently all was fine, but now the weater (and also the water) is getting colder, he's getting condensation probs.(ill post link later- going to work in a minute)
    anyway, a tank and pump are the best option if you ask me.

------------------
    Next time you wave, use all your fingers.

CALV

This sig In memory of my kid sister, Mandy. Died 14-8-02 aged 30.
    Murdered for nothing at all by Louise Berry

CALV

To be realistic the water companies waste over 25% of the water in leaks before it gets to you so they can't talk really, but that's beside the point.

Mutha Funker

Check out your site at uni you may be near the swimming pool or a duck pond, not nice tho if someone pees in the pool or you may get the odd duck stuck in the suction pipe

This might be of use, I post it a lot as it seems so spot on (for me so far).

While we are being honest here I ran mine out to waste when I first got my water-cooling running, but I have my own personal water supply from an artisan well so I can use what I want

------------------
    Stealth Cooling Project

LOL.

Strangely enough, the cold water here isn't very cold at all, even on freezing days. It's probably because the plumbing is so bad and the hot and cold pipes run uninsulated next to each other in some places. I've a feeling from looking at your graph BladeRunner that condensation won't be a problem.

Ultimately I guess the risk of the water being cut off is too great. I really can't be bothered with thinking of an alternative cooling method given such a circumstance.

Wait till I get my XP + thermal-diode compatible mobo. Then we'll see some wardrobe waterproofing, of that I have no doubt.

Cheers for the input,

MuFu.

------------------
    More # please...

Why not just build a closed system with a radiator like all the rest of us? lol

------------------
    No need to post my specs, because no one cares anyways.
    "You can't hurt The Colonal because The Colonal like it rough." <- you would have had to been there!
    "You can't hurt The Colonal, because The Colonal likes it rough!"
    Get Listed!

Cos I'm a sucker for the "take the piss" factor.

MuFu.

------------------
    More # please...

Thread Information