building case, need size of vapochill unit
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: building case, need size of vapochill unit

building case, need size of vapochill unit

Hiya, im currently in the design stages of building a wooden case. Im fitting my current rig into it, but in future i want to add a vapochill unit to it. So, does anybody have one of these just now, or can tell me where i can find the sizes(WxDxH) of the unit, all i can find is the size of the case itself, its just the chiller i'm needing.
    Who says electricity and water dont mix?

Wood cases are nice. I sarted but never finished one. When I get my second computer upgraded, I will have enough parts to finish it. It is pretty small though. I used an old anteque radio that a friend gave to me (he gutted it for parts). It looks pretty good, but I need to rework the front door that covers where the tuner readout was. It is a flip-up panel that now covers the CDROM and floppy drive.

As for the VapoChill unit. They do not sell it seperate and would be hard and expensive to rip out of their $600 case (if I recall right).

Tom's Hardware hjas a review of the Vapo Chill Rev.2 here:
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q4/001221/index.html

There is also a link to the manufacturer's PDF file, which I am looking threw right now, but it does not seem to have messurements. It looks like it will fit into the top compartment of a Full ATX case. That is about 8"x8"x16-18". The componants might be able to be rearanged with the use of longer tubing, but that might be pretty tough to do. I'd keep it in one unit.

I personnally would go for water cooling. Thermal acceleration will not give you much more than water cooling. Voltage mods will usually squeaze more out of the CPU, but then water cooling is pretty much a must. There are several good cooling systems out there. I read an article on one called the Z4 that looks pretty mighty. Just and a good peltier if you must and go with that. The heating ring that the VapoChill unit uses though would be nice to use with a pelteir to keep the pins on the CPU from absorbing the cold and possible collecting frost on the pins or the back side of the motherboard. Then you just need a small block of foam under the CPU and around the cold plat, CPU, and peltier.

Like I said though, just go for the water cooling. You can get a good system put together for under $200. Also for a little more you can cool your north bridge and graphics card (and hard drive if you really want). The VapoChill can not do this. Also without the use of peltiers, you do not need to worry about condensation and frost and you do not need to let your computer cool down to a temp befor booting up. Also the water pump and radiator fan do not draw that much power, so you do not need a mighty power supply (or a seperate one for the peltier).

------------------
    The COMPUTER is your FRIEND!
    Happiness is manditory.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thanks for that, ive been looking a little into water cooling, its just the refridgeration unit looked so cool (no pun intended) I might give it another look though. I already have some of the parts for it as well, waterblock, radiator, but no pump. Thing is, i have a friend who is an old electronics engineer, telling me i shouldnt water cool it cause water is the worst heat transferer ever. Alas, it is cheap, easy, and reliable. And it will allow me to make the case a lot smaller if the vapochill unit is that big.
    I like the idea of the old radio case, thats quite good, unfortunately i didnt have anything like that, so i just went out and bought some lengths of hardwood.

------------------

Yes copper thransfers heat really good, but the average heatsink has what, about 1 sgare foot of serface area, while say a a small 5"x5"x1" radiator likely has at least twice that surface area and a 5"x10"x1" is four times. This lets you cool as if you had a heatsink about 4 times the size that had ALL the heat evenly distributed and had the air flowing threw for better airflow (instead on down on). Also take into acount that to increase the heat transfer, you just use a larger pump, larger tubing, larger radiator, or faster/larger/more fans.

Also look at the result. You will always get lower temps with water cooling (even cheap systems) then you will with air cooling (even the largest heatsinks). Yes they cost more. Yes they are a bit harder to install, but you can generally make a quieter system that runs much cooler and can cool everything (graphics, hard drive, north bridge, CPU). With a good radiator, you can get by with 2 120mm low noise fans or less.

------------------
    The COMPUTER is your FRIEND!
    Happiness is manditory.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thread Information