Overclocking Newbie
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Overclocking Newbie

Overclocking Newbie

Hey guys. On a whim I decided to try and overclock my P3@450 to P3@550. I lookd at my motherboard manual (ASUS P3133) and followed all the instructions regarding the jumpers. The computer booted without any problems. The thing is there is no measured performance increase. Oddly when I examined the jumpers prior to messing with them I noticed that the guy who installed my system had them set on only a 4.0x multiplier rather than a 4.5 (100mhz fsb). This didnt seem to imply a performance decrease either as all measures since I've had the computer have told me I am running at around 451mhz. These include Windows report tool, SANDRA, and PcPitstop. I no longer have Windows report tool as I have removed System restore from my ME operating system and one consequence is the removal of system information where the report tool is. However, SANDRA and PCpitstop both report speeds of exacly the same with or without over, or apparently underclocking. Am I doing something wrong?

------------------
    Sarcasm is sometimes difficult to express, and is often subtle.

Intel CPU´s are locked, so the only way to overclock is through the FSB... so to get 550 Mhz you will need to set the FSB to 122 Mhz.

Good luck

------------------
    Abit KT7A-R Bios 3R
    AMD T-Bird 1.2@1.53 (133*11.5)
    Water Cooled
    256 Mb PC-133 SDRAM
    IBM 30 Gb 7200 RPM, ATA100
    Asus V-7700 GeForce 2 GTS 32 Mb (215/360) Det. 21.81 DX8
    Abit AN7 | XP-M 2400+ | 1024 Mb Corsair XMS-3200 | Radeon 9800 Pro |

3DMark01=22925 | 3DMark03=7262

Yeah that did it. It only took about 15 minutes to crash though. I'll have to do some more research on this I presume. Thanks.

------------------

The original PIII still used the .25 micron (and I think even had the external L2 caches on the package (2 memory chips beside the core on the slot1 cartridge). These things were only released to 600Mhz and this was a long stretch. Very few can make it to 650 (even with water cooling and peltiers). They just were not made to take that speed. Even 550Mhz is a good overclock for most. There are a few things that could cause it to crash.

The easiest is the voltage. As you increase the speed you sometimes need to up the voltage a tiny bit. Try a very small amount at a time. This tends to generate more heat so you want to keep it to a minimum.

The second is heat. These things do run a bit hot. You can either add a better fan (or fans) to you heatsink or get a better heatsink. There are still some slot1 coolers floating around. The other thing is case cooling. If you run with your case open and a fan blowing in an the lock-ups go away, then you can add an extra case fan or two.

The third thing could be a system componant. One of the problems of overclocking with the bus speed is that you are overclocking just about everything in your computer. At 122Mhz, you are looking at 41MHz PCI and an 81MHz AGP bus. Most things can handle this, but the chances that one componant has intermitant problems at this speed is pretty likely. The only thing you can do is either start pulling and/or replacing parts or turn back the bus speed a few notches. Memory is also a main thing to fail at higher bus speeds. Sometimes you can set the memory settings in the system BIOS to failsafe and get the memory to run a bit faster, but you might actually slow down your system doing so. Memory tweeks can give you quite a bit of performance.

------------------
    The COMPUTER is your FRIEND!
    Happiness is manditory.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thanks for the response. What it was is that, perhaps coincidentally (perhaps not), my CPU fan busted. I put everything back to normal and bought a new one. I dont need the headaches for only a slight performance difference. I'm getting an Athalon xp in a few months. I'll post back then and get some more advice. Cheers.

------------------

Thread Information