Alpha Pal 8045
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Alpha Pal 8045

Alpha Pal 8045

I just got an 8045 yesterday with a 50cfm no name 80mm fan.

First, I posted in anouther thread about my temps barely being better than those of my Alpha PEP66 and Delta 7000rpm. My temps were around 46 idle and could hit 50-52 when loaded with an ambient temp usually around 75 deg F running my t-bird 1ghz at 1.33 1.85v. After installing the 8045 my temps were only 1deg C lower. Needless to say I expected a whole lot more. After reading alittle from other users on different boards they claimed that ASII needed alittle time to settle in and the temps would drop abit more and that seems to be just exactly what is happening. I applied ASII thermal paste as they reccommended on there web site and today my temps are lower. Down to 43deg C idle and I ran 3DMark 2001 and it only came up to 44deg C. I liked that! Maybe they'll drop alittle more.

My question is, the fan that came with it is not very well balenced. It shimmies so bad that if I reach in and hold it you can hear an audible difference. Will this eventually be damaging to my CPU? This 1gigger is a very good overclocker and I'd hate to destroy it!

------------------
    KilrB's PC

[This message has been edited by KilrB (edited 10-10-2001).]
    KilrB's PC
    Abit NF7-S Rev2
    XP2100+ @ 200x11.5 2300Mhz
    512MB Corsair XMS Platnium PC3200 Ultra Low Latency CAS222
    Tyan Tachyon G9700 Pro w/Zalman ZM80a-HP Heatpipe
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

"Fat, Drunk and Stupied is now way to go threw life Son!" Quote: Dean Wormer.... Animal House

is your fan sucking or blowing?....I've read that Alphas are engineered to be optimized with fans sucking.

if that isn't your problem...you may want to try another fan.

quiet 80mm Sunon or Panaflo would be good choices.

also consider measuring temps when ambient temps are similar.

Originally posted by zoom:
    is your fan sucking or blowing?....I've read that Alphas are engineered to be optimized with fans sucking.

if that isn't your problem...you may want to try another fan.

quiet 80mm Sunon or Panaflo would be good choices.

also consider measuring temps when ambient temps are similar.

Ummm? Not that I don't appriciate your reply, but did you completely read my post?

I posted to the fact that the temps are where I wanted them to be and that it apparently takes ASII and my heatsink time to settle in before temps really show any significant inprovement. Even since I posted this my temps have dropped anouther 1 deg C even with room temps up 3 deg F! I posted that incase anyone else might be wondering if they where having the same effect.

My qeustion was about the Fan and the way it's vibrating. If that could eventually cause the CPU to fail.

Thanks.

------------------
    KilrB's PC
    KilrB's PC
    Abit NF7-S Rev2
    XP2100+ @ 200x11.5 2300Mhz
    512MB Corsair XMS Platnium PC3200 Ultra Low Latency CAS222
    Tyan Tachyon G9700 Pro w/Zalman ZM80a-HP Heatpipe
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

"Fat, Drunk and Stupied is now way to go threw life Son!" Quote: Dean Wormer.... Animal House

Not knowing how severe the vibration is, nor what the shock specs are for the athlon, it would be hard to say if it would do damage. Obviously, if the fan is shaking noticably, then try remounting it, or securing the alpha more. And Im guessing that if the fan is vibrating then its airflow wont be optimal, therfore, neither will your temps.
    If of course, it is really really bad, and could cause the alpha to rock slightly, then its contact is lost with the cpu, the arctic silver wont be getting to settle properly, and it may end up wrecking your cpu, but thats a long shot.

------------------
    Who says electricity and water dont mix?
    Who says electricity and water dont mix?

Thread Information