::[Watercooling and other questions]::
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: ::[Watercooling and other questions]::

Hybrid View

::[Watercooling and other questions]::

Hello all again

once again I have a few questions I was wondering if anybody out there could answer.

I'm looking for a way to watercool without using any fans. although I have not heard any radiators in use, i would imagine a a good radiator to need at least 2 120mm fans. even if they are running at 7v, they won't be overly quiet. so iwas wondering if there were other ways to cool water. I was thinking about bubbling cool air into the reservoir water with airstones. would the bubbling of the water cool it down enough to make it usable for water cooling? (My method of bubbling the water would be noiseless)

I was also wondering if there was a way to cool down powersupplies using water instead of using a fan.

any comments would be appreciated

Stealth Cooling Project

Have a read as I'm after fan free silence. It may give you some ideas and if you get a large enough volume of water 100 litres + in a cool place you won't need any cooling as the small amount of heat a water-cooled PC would create will get lost. when I had it running out of the 120 litre stainless tank ambient played more part in the water temp.

It might heat up a bit if you were using peltiers and running it 24/7, but I still doubt it would go much above ambient, a few degres at most, anymore heat simply being lost to the surroundings.

Look at it like this, could you heat up the contents on a swimming pool with a kettle heating element? No is the simple answer. So the larger the amount of water or coolant the less effect the CPU, Vga, etc heat will be able to effect it.

Bladerunner, a word of caution about going 100% fanless. I've been using my 120mm fanduct for quite some time, running with the case open but without any case fans. I figured the components on the motherboard would be happy with just having a view of my room

However, once day the three biggest caps around the cpu slot popped. They were rated up to +105c, and one of them had black stuff oozing out of it (leaving some residue on the motherboard after removing it). Needless to say, those caps were there for a reason, and unless I went back to stock settings the mobo was unable to keep the core voltage stable (I was running 1032MHz/2v for almost 40W of power, which is nothing compared to what a heavily clocked T-Bird puts out).

It might be that the Socket A mobos are made better, but Storfe experienced the same thing with his KA7 (blew 7 out of 13 caps) after shutting off his case fans (cpu was watercooled), so AMD setups could be affected.

One of those infrared laser-targeted temperature sensors would probably be the best tool for measuring individual component temperature, unless you want to have 1451568 Senfu temperature displays on your desk

Just a thing to consider when going fanless.

------------------
    Carpe noctem!
    Carpe noctem!

If you wanna cool your PSU with water you should make a waterblock, and put it against the cooling fins. It would be even better to replace the fins with a plate of cupper. But I don't know if all the other components wiil heat up too much.

------------------
    Half-Life Counter-Strike rulez the world !!!
    Overclocking is like a game, try it some more and you'll get better results.....

Thread Information